Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker, is in my opinion, not terribly good.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
You said it was "a bit strong". But it was "a fact" they were too slow. My point was that the latter was an opinion and the first was not just a bit strong - but factually incorrect and disrespectful. I have no real argument with you bhawoody.

No Probs DKM. Just to clear this up - anyone who says he cannot pass it quite clearly nuts. lol

I feel he, navarro and painter do not possess the required physical pace to compete at this level. Im not doubting they all have talent but it becomes a different ball game at this level with regards to speed/fitness and overall Athleticism. IMO of course.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If you're talking about pace over 30 yards - maybe. If you're talking about pace in the head (i.e. positioning and speed of thought), I think Navarro is pretty much there. He has been over the past few games.

Adam El-Abd doesn't have real pace, but his starting position and speed of thought mark him out as one of our better and more reliable players.

Dicker is a ditherer - but on his day can be superb; same for Bridcutt at times, actually.

Just referring to the physical element.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I feel he, navarro and painter do not possess the required physical pace to compete at this level. Im not doubting they all have talent but it becomes a different ball game at this level with regards to speed/fitness and overall Athleticism. IMO of course.

Absolutely fair enough. Time will tell. I am sure that is what Gus and Tanno will be thinking about between now and the end of the season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No Probs DKM. Just to clear this up - anyone who says he cannot pass it quite clearly nuts. lol

Gus won't get rid of Navarro or Dicker (unfortunately). When they've been fit they're almost always in the starting line up. I can definitely see him getting rid of Painter though because he is quite clearly not good enough and seems to have a reoccurring injury problem.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
People are very harsh. Dicker is an excellent player who has one major fault - lack of genuine pace - which makes playing the same role that he fills exceptionally well at a lower level, difficult to achieve in the Championship. He has good vision and thought and plays mainly short sensible passes which to my way of thinking is exactly what you want. When he has to turn with the ball or look for a pass he is vulnerable to being caught and although he is strong in the tackle he will inevitably lose the bal - you can't win every tacklel. Because of where he plays and against fast breaking sides at this level, when he gets caught it spells trouble.

Can it be corrected or can he play in a slightly different role? Not sure. But nor am I sure that he is one to discard. I accept that Dicker, Sparrow and Navarro are vulnerable but looking at the bigger picture I would take the chance on a strong pre-season and one-to-one coaching and then review his performances, bearing in mind that he will be competing with new players for a starting role. He is certainly an excellent squad player and his thinking and vision in dead ball situations have been invaluable to us over the last three seasons. Sparrow will, I think, go because we have JFC coming through and able to play the role of the central midfielder who can get ahead of the ball and gamble on getting in to the box. Navarro's future possibly depends on us signing that elusive 6' box-to-box player who can hold the midfield together - I think, regrettably, that he will be playing elsewhere next season.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
People are very harsh. Dicker is an excellent player who has one major fault - lack of genuine pace - which makes playing the same role that he fills exceptionally well at a lower level,difficult to achieve in the Championship. He has good vision and thought and plays mainly short sensible passes which to my way of thinking is exactly what you want. When he has to turn with the ball or look for a pass he is vulnerable to being caught and although he is strong in the tackle he will inevitably lose the ball. Because of where he plays and against fast breaking sides at this level, when he gets caught it spells trouble.

Can it be corrected or can he play in a slightly different role? Not sure. But nor am I sure that he is one to discard. I accept that Dicker, Sparrow and Navarro are vulnerable but looking at the bigger picture I would take the chance on a strong pre-season and one-to-one coaching and then review his performances, bearing in mind that he will be competing with new players for a starting role. He is certainly an excellent squad player and his thinking and vision in dead ball situations have been invaluable to us over the last three seasons. Sparrow will, I think, go because we have JFC coming through and able to play the role of the central midfielder who can get ahead of the ball and gamble on getting in to the box. Navarro's future possibly depends on us signing that elusive 6' box-to-box player who can hold the midfield together - I think, regrettably, that he will be playing elsewhere next season.
There is no time for sympathy, we have to get rid of players who are lacking in certain areas. The only redeeming feature, I would presume, is that their wages aren't that high.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
People are very harsh. Dicker is an excellent player who has one major fault - lack of genuine pace - which makes playing the same role that he fills exceptionally well at a lower level,difficult to achieve in the Championship. He has good vision and thought and plays mainly short sensible passes which to my way of thinking is exactly what you want. When he has to turn with the ball or look for a pass he is vulnerable to being caught and although he is strong in the tackle he will inevitably lose the ball. Because of where he plays and against fast breaking sides at this level, when he gets caught it spells trouble.

Can it be corrected or can he play in a slightly different role? Not sure. But nor am I sure that he is one to discard. I accept that Dicker, Sparrow and Navarro are vulnerable but looking at the bigger picture I would take the chance on a strong pre-season and one-to-one coaching and then review his performances, bearing in mind that he will be competing with new players for a starting role. He is certainly an excellent squad player and his thinking and vision in dead ball situations have been invaluable to us over the last three seasons.

This is pretty much what we have just been talking about. Theres certainly an argument for keeping players like these two but would they want to sit it out on the side for a season instead of playing regularly? I wouldnt. One to one coaching as you say doesnt really happen with these players. If you cant play at their ages now you'll never be able to play.
They are decent players at the right level.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is pretty much what we have just been talking about. Theres certainly an argument for keeping players like these two but would they want to sit it out on the side for a season instead of playing regularly? I wouldnt. One to one coaching as you say doesnt really happen with these players. If you cant play at their ages now you'll never be able to play.
They are decent players at the right level.

And of course it would depend on the availability of alternatives...cost etc..other positions that need covering...its not going to happen just like that i would have thought

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
And of course it would depend on the availability of alternatives...cost etc..other positions that need covering...its not going to happen just like that i would have thought

Of course, but im pretty sure between now and next season they will have alternatives in mind or perhaps even agreed deals in place.

One thing about Poyet is that he will have amazing contacts and people seem to overlook this when they cane him for making poor team selections and criticise his managerial qualities.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There is no time for sympathy, we have to get rid of players who are lacking in certain areas. The only redeeming feature, I would presume, is that their wages aren't that high.

Are you also the sort of fan who lambasts players when they move to a new club for huigher wages or better prospects of playing? Bit one eyed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Of course, but im pretty sure between now and next season they will have alternatives in mind or perhaps even agreed deals in place.

One thing about Poyet is that he will have amazing contacts and people seem to overlook this when they cane him for making poor team selections and criticise his managerial qualities.

lol they seem to overlook a lot

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Why is it a disgrace? If you were bad at your job, you too would be told

If it was by my boss because I wasn't doing what he expected of me then yes, that would be fair.

If it was by some arsehole who knows about as much of my job as the size of the contents of his cranium, then no.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gary Dicker was good on Tuesday, people need to start watching the game.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If you have only seen him this season it is strange to be so harsh. He was the passing heart of the League One Champions last season - one of the best seasons many people can remember. Even in that team there were people who could not see what he delivered to the team.

I want to see him given every chance to make the step up. And if Gus thinks he can do it - then he deserves our support.

But to say he can't pass a ball is obtuse.

It's more than obtuse, it's f***ing stupid. His whole game relvolves around the ability to pass he has and the fact he has a very very sharp mind. Not the most physically dominant player we have by a long way but he is not useless.

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
This is possibly the most stupid statement I've read on NSC in a very long time.

Try taking the comment in context. Of course he is capable of kicking the ball to another player but how many times is he the reason we lose possession. He is THE number one culprit. He has, on occasion, come up with an assist or a really good through ball BUT his inability to get the ball, look up and move the ball stifles our style of play.

The League 1 comments are fair, he may have been very good last season but not every player can make the step up to the Championship.

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
It's more than obtuse, it's f***ing stupid. His whole game relvolves around the ability to pass he has and the fact he has a very very sharp mind. Not the most physically dominant player we have by a long way but he is not useless.

His ability to pass is worthless if he can't get the ball out of his feet quick enough. Who knows if this can be worked on over the summer but as it stands he is costing possession far too much. Clearly Gus see's something in him but he was absolutely awful first-half against Watford. By comparison, we saw glimpses of his good side in the second half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here