Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Southgate says footballers should be offered vaccine soon

Should footballers be offered the vaccine soon?

• Yes jab them quick

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 129 86.6%

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
so Southgate should use his position and media platform to question why the games are going ahead. instead he is meakly accepting FIFA authority and looking for someone else to deal with the implications.

Agree, but that’s on all international managers not just Southgate.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Please re-read my post. That’s exactly what I said.

As FIFA decreed they have to go ahead Southgate has to do his job, hence he’s rightly suggesting they should be vaccinated.

I dont need to reread your post. Just because FIFA say the games "have to go ahead", it shouldn't matter in a pandemic what they say

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I dont need to reread your post. Just because FIFA say the games "have to go ahead", it shouldn't matter in a pandemic what they say

Well.. if you did read, you’d see that I agree with you [emoji6]

Having international friendlies with players flying in and out of countries in a global pandemic is tremulously misguided and dangerous.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well.. if you did read, you’d see that I agree with you [emoji6]

Having international friendlies with players flying in and out of countries in a global pandemic is tremulously misguided and dangerous.

Apologies I have reread it now and see that you clearly think the same regarding international games

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Presumably Southgate's vaccine of choice is the Oxford Aston Zeneca?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My understanding which could be wrong, is that the vaccine doesn't stop people from catching and spreading the virus though some research shows that it makes it less transmissable

That may or may not be right but I was directly quoting your post which stated that the vaccine would stop the players catching it.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I wonder if Southgate feels uncomfortable about leading his players into a situation where they maybe at increased risk of catching covid.
He is the man who has called them up so may even feel added responsibility.
In that respect then that's fair enough,it's the right thing to do whatevers possible for the health of his players.
But if the players are worried or Southgate is worried then the tournament should not be going ahead.
They certainly should not get the vaccine ahead of key workers who have kept the country going through all this.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Manager advocates for the safety of people working under him. Has he no shame?

Had they made a split between people who can do their job from home and those that can't then footballers should have been given priority over people who can work from home for getting the vaccine. Although as they haven't they are in with the rest of us.

Stumpy Tim

Probably didn’t want to be seen jumping the queue but now wants to be seen publicly supporting the AstraZeneca vaccine after the blood clot allegation.

(And, as mentioned above, he’s immune anyway)

He had Covid almost a year ago, so unlikely to still be immune.

As to Southgate, well it is the TV companies who are asking them to play. We are not, though for some it has improved mental health for sure. Let's not pretend it was the clamour from fans that got football playing again though... it was a money decision. So no, they should not be getting early vaccines.

As others have said, international football at the moment is silly. As is European football

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My nephew is 22 and has coeliac disease and so was given a jab. But he’s already had Covid which was two or three days of annoying grogginess and no more and he was presumably immune now anyway. Should he have had his dose before they’d finishing inoculating the over 50s?

Really?
I have Celiac's too, and I've no idea why we'd be given priority over others?
I've not been vaccinated, and will wait until it's our turn (mid 30's) - I wasn't even aware I was even able to jump the queue.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course they shouldn't. They've pretty much played a full season under the pandemic with little problems other than a few morons who broke the rules (and weren't punished as much as they should have been, in my view). They get paid millions whereas there are others in the adult population who haven't had a wage packet for over a year. Get them vaccinated so they can earn a living.

Also, let's be honest, there's only 10 games to go and then they're on a rest. All the adults should be vaccinated by the end of April anyway so effectively they've only got to wait 6 weeks at most.

Finally, I wonder whether clubs would want players vaccinated with the possibility of side effects, eg feeling a bit rough/flu like symptoms etc. Not good if you got a vital game coming up!!!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Really?
I have Celiac's too, and I've no idea why we'd be given priority over others?
I've not been vaccinated, and will wait until it's our turn (mid 30's) - I wasn't even aware I was even able to jump the queue.

He’s at university. I don’t know if that makes a difference. The odd thing is, he’s a postgrad at Nottingham, yet it was his alma mater Bath University that rang and asked him to come in for it. And he drove all the way there and back.

UPDATE: Just found this on the Coeliac website. It might be an idea to contact your doctor and ask about this.

404AD12B-D925-4927-9B48-61DC1B022AD9.jpeg

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/informat...oeliac-disease-and-coronavirus-covid-19-faqs/

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
He’s at university. I don’t know if that makes a difference. The odd thing is, he’s a postgrad at Nottingham, yet it was his alma mater Bath University that rang and asked him to come in for it. And he drove all the way there and back.

UPDATE: Just found this on the Coeliac website. It might be an idea to contact your doctor and ask about this.

View attachment 135039

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/informat...oeliac-disease-and-coronavirus-covid-19-faqs/

Interesting, thank you for the tip. I wasn't aware of the potential spleen dysfunction. Being in Canada, especially BC, protocol is a bit different here.
I will talk to the doc. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So so out of touch......

Professional PL footballer during pandemic = top salary + fancy car + lavish life style.....
Typical NHS worker during pandemic = average wage + number 10 bus + average life style......

What a :tosser: GS is.....

and then Grealish, Kyle Walker repeatedly ignored lockdown laws and didn't give a fck for society at large.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here