Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK, let's try this

No, didn't work

Nor did that.

It says I'm allowed a jpeg of nearly 10mb, I'm trying to upload 6.5mb but everything I try says failed, failedfailed!

I wonder if a mod can help out (I'm hooked now, and I have no idea what it is I'm going to see a picture of)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
OK, let's try this

No, didn't work

Nor did that.

It says I'm allowed a jpeg of nearly 10mb, I'm trying to upload 6.5mb but everything I try says failed, failedfailed!

Dracunculus vulgaris

View attachment 124697

Ok, that worked. Bit of an anti climax now but the actual spathe is 21 inches long. The smell is like a dead, rotten fox that has shat in the back of the car on a hot summers day:sick:
That is fantastic! I so wish I had that in the back garden near where one of my neighbors annoyingly works out and makes what can only be likened to orgasmic sounds as he does so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nailed it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK, let's try this

No, didn't work

Nor did that.

Dracunculus vulgaris

View attachment 124697

Ok, that worked. Bit of an anti climax now but the actual spathe is 21 inches long. The smell is like a dead, rotten fox that has shat in the back of the car on a hot summers day:sick:

That is seriously impressive (even before the rather vivid description) :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
OK, let's try this

No, didn't work

Nor did that.

Dracunculus vulgaris

View attachment 124697

Wasn't what I was expecting, but impressive never the less. You've romantically described the scent so beautifully too!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The plant itself stands nearly five feet high, tallest I've had. The flower is also the biggest I've had. There's also another, smaller flower
It was once said to me by an acquaintance that they'd wished they'd planted theirs at the top of their garden. When you smell it, you'd wished you'd planted yours at the top of their garden, too!:D
Luckily, the smell only lasts a couple of days

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Just started to enjoy my garden these past few months and actually taking notice of what’s going on in it and found a problem with my hedge. Different type of hedge next to it that doesn’t get affected.
Can any of you experts tell me ;
What type of bush it is?
What is up with it?
What’s the cure?
Many thanks!

EEB9F18A-629A-4CA3-8092-683901A2630F.jpeg
C31650C8-EC24-415D-B4C8-E8562E73D45B.jpeg
EFEC3865-BD62-4320-B47F-A928E093B664.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just started to enjoy my garden these past few months and actually taking notice of what’s going on in it and found a problem with my hedge. Different type of hedge next to it that doesn’t get affected.
What type of bush it is?
What is up with it?
What’s the cure?
Many thanks!

]
That's a green bush.
It's f**ked
Burn it to the ground.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What type of bush it is?
What is up with it?
What’s the cure?
Many thanks!

View attachment 124828
View attachment 124829
View attachment 124830

The affected shrub is Viburnum tinus (Laurustinus). It has got probably Viburnum Beetle.
https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000190569-Viburnum-beetle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I've just had nearly an acceptable amount of reward from the garden.
Sure I didn't burn the whole thing to the ground then concrete it over but:-

For the last 90 minutes I've been rummaging around with a hoe while jnr collected all the debris.

I wasn't going to post any more poppy photos until flower o'clock, but it seems rude to waste all my, sorry our, (I actually mean his) hard work.

IMG_20200615_123306.jpg

I'm now prepared to concede I might have over sown. :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Well I've just had nearly an acceptable amount of reward from the garden.
Sure I didn't burn the whole thing to the ground then concrete it over but:-

For the last 90 minutes I've been rummaging around with a hoe while jnr collected all the debris.

I wasn't going to post any more poppy photos until flower o'clock, but it seems rude to waste all my, sorry our, (I actually mean his) hard work.

View attachment 124930

I'm now prepared to concede I might have over sown. :lol:

The Hanging Gardens of Statylon! The rose is romping and the poppies coming along nicely. When this virus lark is all over, you really should open your garden to the public. All the magic you've weaved is now paying dividends. It's a splendid spectacle. How's your Photinia by the way?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here