Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaming Console Advice

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Xmas pressie time ... should it be PS3 or XBox? Any difference in prices of games or all the other stuff that needs to be added on? Is it just about brand loyalty or is there a clear winner?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
It really depends what you want it for.
I own both and the PS3 is great for watching media (iplayer, 4od, blu-rays) but I get on better with the Xbox for gaming and playing over the internet. I think the Xbox also has more appeal through Kinect rather than the PS3 move.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
PS3 for me, brother owns an Xbox and they're just as good with multi-platform games. What it comes down to is wether

A) You're bothered about watching Blu Rays
B) Which of the 'exclusive' games you'd rather play (Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 for PS3, Gears of War 1, 2 & 3 for Xbox)
C) Which console your friends play on.

I forked out the few extra quid for the PS3 so I could watch Blu Rays, although I only own 2 :lol:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It mainly matters as what your mates use tbh. Ps3 is free to get online but xbox is subscription.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
flip a coin - what ever divided them before no longer exists, exclusive titles are now rare, and online gaming is solid on both (only you have to pay for it on xbox).

The way i'd decide is if you want to play online with your mates, pick the console that most of them have. Most of my mates have a ps3, and thus, i have a ps3.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Ill have to give you a game of fifa 12 mate, but i cant promise im not going to score an over head kick with boyd again si lol.

Lol lol I cant promise that I'm any better than utterly rubbish at it mate! Caught up with your dad and brother at the hammers game to buy you that beer but you'd already gone home :censored:. Jen is going tomorrow for the first time on her birthday (so it's all her fault lol)

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
Lol lol I cant promise that I'm any better than utterly rubbish at it mate! Caught up with your dad and brother at the hammers game to buy you that beer but you'd already gone home :censored:. Jen is going tomorrow for the first time on her birthday (so it's all her fault lol)

Lol i was at the hull and millwall game mate. I hope jen enjoys it mate tell her by all means no pitch invasions lol

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'd say you have to think about what you mates have, Otherwise I had both and the PS3 edges it for me so I sold the 360. That said they are both very good consoles I just resented paying an extra £40 odd a year to play it online after I've already paid for the system, the internet and the games.

PS3 have dropped alot in price making them much more affordable now days. PS Move is brilliant too.

I'd say,

PS3
Call of Duty or Battlefield 3
PS Move with Heavy Rain.
Fifa 12

This looks good.
http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-3-320gb-slim-with-fifa-12-move-starter-pack-and-dancestar-party-155183?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=10468

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
There's really not a lot of difference between the two in terms of spec, but I went with Xbox as the online play is miles better, even though you do have to pay for it, and the controllers are nice and chunky.
I find the PS3 quite depressing as well, as it all seems so dark and serious. Xbox is far more enjoyable to play IMO.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Cheers helpful to know that there's not one clear and obvious winner ... not bothered by Blueray, have a player and 1 disc! Reckon it might be the PS3 based on paying

All helpful, ta!

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
You may have to pay for it but Xbox live pisses all over PS3 online and hasn't had to shutdown due to hacking. I have both but only use Xbox for gaming, I use PS3 for bluray and iplayer.
And Xbox kinnect is better than PS move system as well if they're into those sort of games.
To be honest as others have stated it may just depend what system their friends use.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If you want a gaming console, buy the Xbox 360.

If you want a console to play blu rays on, get a PS3.

Xbox tips it for me because of the price, even though xbox live is £25-£30 a year.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I have a ps3 but have played xbox many times and I enjoy both. As someone said above it boils down to what the mates have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here