[Music] Furthest You Have Travelled For A Gig

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
9,420 miles.

Midnight Oil in Kuranda, north of Cairns Australia

(okay I was over there anyway, but mustn't let that ruin a good brag!)
I raise you 10,000 odd to see the Foos. Similar circumstances.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A few times in the late 80s/early 90s I did London-NYC to see Pavarotti at the Met. I particularly remember him in Trovatore and a mind-blowing Rigoletto (with a very decent Gilda sung by June Anderson on her Met debut).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a friend who is a tour manager. The most extreme trip he has undertaken was to Australia and NZ specifically for just two gigs.

boik

Drove to Manchester from Brighton to see New Order/ Happy Mondays/ ACR

Train/Boat/Train to see the Beloved in Rennes. Was supposed to see the rest of the tour, but The Great Storm had other ideas.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've been to various places around Northern Europe for gigs.

I didn't want to let down the rest of the band :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A few times in the late 80s/early 90s I did London-NYC to see Pavarotti at the Met. I particularly remember him in Trovatore and a mind-blowing Rigoletto (with a very decent Gilda sung by June Anderson on her Met debut).
Blimey, I find it hard to picture Pavarotti as the Duke or as Manrico - they're both, er, active roles - although I can imagine him relishing Di Quella Pira (just found it on You Tube and he kills it).

I'm off to Lyon next year to see Peter Grimes, partly because it's possibly my favourite opera and partly because Anne Offie von Otter is in it and I've never seen her (and she must be nearing retirement soon)

But to answer the question about furthest I've travelled so far, that would be Paris to see Kassav' about 35 years ago

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blimey, I find it hard to picture Pavarotti as the Duke or as Manrico - they're both, er, active roles - although I can imagine him relishing Di Quella Pira (just found it on You Tube and he kills it).

I'm off to Lyon next year to see Peter Grimes, partly because it's possibly my favourite opera and partly because Anne Offie von Otter is in it and I've never seen her (and she must be nearing retirement soon)

But to answer the question about furthest I've travelled so far, that would be Paris to see Kassav' about 35 years ago
He was a lot less, err, full in those days, and so got away with it!

I’ve never seen von Otter live either; lovely voice, and such a repertoire. Yes, she must be nearing retirement, Google tells me she’s 69. Enjoy Grimes. Lyon is a lovely city.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Did a gig in Aberdeen once, we were on tour though. Going to your own gigs doesn't count does it, although Scooter1 flying from Spain is dedication and lunacy all rolled into one!

I've been to gigs whilst at random faraway places but have never really travelled that far specifically for a gig . . .usually local or London, another benefit of us living in Sussex. Cardiff is probably the furthest.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Milan to see Tom Waits
Edinburgh to see Tom Waits
Lisbon to see Lambchop
Amsterdam to see Pixies
Barcelona to see Jesus and Mary Chain
Dublin to see Nick Cave/Patti Smith

Basically I love getting a gig in when I go on holiday, it gives the whole thing a sense of purpose.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Kent to Buffalo NY to see Celine Dion. The then wife was very keen to see her. All tickets were sold but some gigs got cancelled and a few tickets became available when they rescheduled.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the early 1970s I did travel from Oxford to Birmingham to see Wishbone Ash - it was cancelled because the stage wasn’t big enough.
soon after, the same journey to see Santana. Superb.
about 5 years ago, Southampton to Cardiff to see Mavis Staples. Brilliant.,

I have on occasion said “I wouldn’t cross the road to see……… xxxxx” . Most recently referring to the Eagles.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Pompeii, to see David Gilmour - Disappointing gig (musically) but tempered by a fantastic atmosphere, memories of the superb video of Pink Floyd playing there in 1972, and an empathy for the tragedy that befell Pompeii a couple of thousand years ago.
Incredible atmosphere and location - I did both nights, and was back last year to see Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets in Pompeii (albeit in the Grand Theatre, similar vintage to the amphitheatre).

I've seen bands play in various countries/cities, most recently the Saucers (again) in Rome last month, but in terms of furthest, probably Roger Waters in New York (two shows in Brooklyn, and two in MSG - separate years). Am seeing David Gilmour in November in New York (at the Garden) too.

Can't beat a trip to see a band, as it really elevates the experience and makes it more memorable (for good or bad!)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Incredible atmosphere and location - I did both nights, and was back last year to see Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets in Pompeii (albeit in the Grand Theatre, similar vintage to the amphitheatre).

I've seen bands play in various countries/cities, most recently the Saucers (again) in Rome last month, but in terms of furthest, probably Roger Waters in New York (two shows in Brooklyn, and two in MSG - separate years). Am seeing David Gilmour in November in New York (at the Garden) too.

Can't beat a trip to see a band, as it really elevates the experience and makes it more memorable (for good or bad!)
Ah, t'was a shame Mason's lot couldn't play at the amphitheatre - I sooooo wanted to hear 'Echoes' played there.
As an aside, I've cooled towards Gilmour, recently, and having heard bits of his new album...it's a bit 'meh'. I'm not even seeing him in the UK, which surprised even me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here