Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Further statement due today? *edit: Online now!*

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC, that his dismissal was pending".

Are you just going through all the threads and posting that ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sunday was about reaching an agreement with Gus before a specific dealine, at which point with no agreement, he'd be fired. He was aware of this possible outcome.

The deadline passed with no agreement, and Gus was informed that his 'pending dismissal' had been carried through o.

Having no knowledge about what has happened either, this seems to me a likely scenario.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I know many armchair commentators on here won't be happy but I think the statement is mainly aimed at the legal people. Reading between the lines I think the Club is trying to show it has been reasonable at all stages, not least in case of an appeal:

1. Following the hearing it deliberated over a couple of days which shows it was not a pre-emptive decision to sack him
2. The Club gave Gus options other than outright sacking, and a tight timescale for his response.
3. Setting a deadline for his decision firmly put the ball into Gus's court. Comply or goodbye.

Looks like Gus let the clock run out, so it's adios. It certainly suggests to me that he knew exactly the situation before he appeared on MoTD.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Having no knowledge about what has happened either, this seems to me a likely scenario.

And the cut off point to accept was probably 20:00, hence the time it went out.

Two statements were prepared in the previous hour, hence the 19:14 time of the one released which would have stated either way that the club and Gus have parted ways after an agreement or Gus has been sacked.

All total guess work on my part I must add. :blush:

I, a fan, am neither angry nor confused, and don't feel the need to be 'calmed'. But thanks for your concern anyway.

Same here, neither am I offended, nor do I need counselling or financial compensation for the time I have wasted of my own free will following this affair on NSC.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
We can all argue the meaning of the word "pending" till we're blue in the face but Gus knew he was going 100%, his son Diego tweeted Saturday night "no more trips to the Amex" then deleted it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We can all argue the meaning of the word "pending" till we're blue in the face but Gus knew he was going 100%, his son Diego tweeted Saturday night "no more trips to the Amex" then deleted it.

Sunday night. At 8pm. After the club had released the statement.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Tis quite disturbing the amount of sheep who just change their view on a whim.

As soon as I saw Gus say what he did I thought that it couldn't be right. He must have known that after a certain deadline he was sacked. I can't see that the club have done anything wrong here except follow that dreadful word 'procedures'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tis quite disturbing the amount of sheep who just change their view on a whim.

Who's changed their view then ? As far as I can see there are still the same people backing the club and still the same people backing Gus.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Erm....." Gus was well aware that the decision was pending"

So not actually aware when it was going to happen? If that is true, then obviously sat in tv studio being told ...." ere Gus, you have now been sacked" may have come as a shock

You ain't wrong there Dave. Perhaps the club haven't been giving us any information until now because they're scared they might look somewhat less than wholly upstanding? Judging by this latest announcement, such fears would seem to be well founded.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
The only remaining question for me now is what point is there in appealing, and to whom ? Which higher independent authority will look differently at any "evidence" contained in the 500 page catalogue of misdemeanour and wrong doing, and come up with a different answer.

"Oh you're appealing, after 5 weeks of intricate case building and interminable nonsense - well that's different then - you can come back".

Sure, some different analyst might say he was harshly treated, and is due his compensation, but I can't for the life of me think who that might be.

It is the most bizarre process I have ever witnessed, and to claim he knew a decision was pending is about as obfuscated as you can get. I knew a decision was pending. The club are clearly having fun shafting the best manager we have had in years, and the noise will not abate once a run of poor results start. Tony Bloom is a star performer in my book, but I can't believe he won't feel he has been let down by his wishy washy team here - and it has left the club in tatters (hopefully only for the short term). Many lessons to be learnt here and I really hope they will be. Have they welcomed Tanno back to work today ????

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Had the time been given by Brighton football club on the announcement of Gus sacking would have saved all this sht.

I.E Gus Poyet has been informed [12.PM today] by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club's internal disciplinary panel that his employment has been terminated with immediate effect.

Quite.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My take on this is that Poyet knew he was sacked prior to appearing on MOTD. Someone at the club realized that he was appearing on TV yesterday knowing he was sacked and could possibly anounce this himself (melt down). To prevent this the announcement was made on club web site at 7.14pm. Crass ugly and stupid yes but i see little other option the club had. IMO Poyet knew he was toast 5 weeks ago. Pure speculations ban?

Totally agree with this.

IMHO the pending relates to it being in writing, verbal dismissal is not final.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The only remaining question for me now is what point is there in appealing, and to whom ? Which higher independent authority will look differently at any "evidence" contained in the 500 page catalogue of misdemeanour and wrong doing, and come up with a different answer.

"Oh you're appealing, after 5 weeks of intricate case building and interminable nonsense - well that's different then - you can come back".

Sure, some different analyst might say he was harshly treated, and is due his compensation, but I can't for the life of me think who that might be.

It is the most bizarre process I have ever witnessed, and to claim he knew a decision was pending is about as obfuscated as you can get. I knew a decision was pending. The club are clearly having fun shafting the best manager we have had in years, and the noise will not abate once a run of poor results start. Tony Bloom is a star performer in my book, but I can't believe he won't feel he has been let down by his wishy washy team here - and it has left the club in tatters (hopefully only for the short term). Many lessons to be learnt here and I really hope they will be. Have they welcomed Tanno back to work today ????

As I understand it, it's the process. He has to appeal through the clubs disciplinary system before he can take them to court to challenge it. I think most people expect the appeal to the club to be denied. Then when it goes to court, if gus can prove it was unfair, that the outcome was wrong he can then get compensation/money due if the club want him sacked, plus costs, possibly.

It is rumours the money due to him if sacked without reason is in the millions. That's a lot of money to just walk away from.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I think the club has got a massive sponsorship deal lined up with Google to help with the deficit, with Gus also getting a cut. The only condition is that both parties spin this out for as long as possible in order to direct traffic through NSC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here