Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furious with East Coast and Southern

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Think yourself lucky you have the option of cheap advance fares. The legalised rapists that are South West Trains don't offer anything advance east of Brockenhurst, so the cheapest ticket from Southampton to London is £35 (not using a railcard).

Robbing bastards. People using Southern for leisure don't know how lucky they are.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
hahahahaha

And Anne Frank didnt realise how lucky she was to live in a mansion

Do me a favour

Really? At least there are cheap fares available for what you perceive as a shite service, SWT don't even grant you that. They may be a million miles from perfect (and they've naused up enough journeys for me between Soton and Brighton), but I'd take Southern all day long.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We all know the deal with these cheap fares what's the problem? It's like flying Easyjet to Frankfurt on one ticket, connecting on another ticket to say a Lufthansa flight to Dubai and expecting help from Lufthansa if Easyjet cancel the flight.... You aren't covered if you break tickets up. Buy a restricted fare, live with the restrictions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What do you expect for a 3 quid fare ?

So because the rail companies...ie you the supplier choose to charge a valid fee for a journey, albeit very cheap, you say..."what do you expect"......good job you don't work for my company with that attitude

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So because the rail companies...ie you the supplier choose to charge a valid fee for a journey, albeit very cheap, you say..."what do you expect"......good job you don't work for my company with that attitude

If people don't read the terms and conditions of the product they buy and them come on here whinging what do you expect. Southern supplied the product as specified and not their fault the purchaser wasn't there to travel on the train they booked.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Quite.

And to turn it around for our resident jobsworth railworker who seems to think our expectations of rail service is linked to price of ticket: I pay over £4000 a year to travel to and from London. What kind of service can I expect for that?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If people don't read the terms and conditions of the product they buy and them come on here whinging what do you expect. Southern supplied the product as specified and not their fault the purchaser wasn't there to travel on the train they booked.

That is all fine and good..and yes I agree with you, however to use the phrase. What do you expect...is hardly helpful. It's not his fault that the rail company chose to set a cheap price....he should expect the saner service as if he spent the full amount

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm thinking the same as BG, why didn't you just get on the train? Did your ticket not let you through the barrier?

Ticket would have worked the barrier, personally I would have not been so honest but there you go

We were on that 17:35 from Donny and Mrhairy took a shine to the Train Crew Manager lady !

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Think I prefare your posts when you go for a brekkie and pass on the team news

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That is all fine and good..and yes I agree with you, however to use the phrase. What do you expect...is hardly helpful. It's not his fault that the rail company chose to set a cheap price....he should expect the saner service as if he spent the full amount

The train he booked his ticket on ran, ran on time as well so what more do you expect Southern to do ? He booked a 3quid ticket and got what he paid for, unfortunately he wasn't actually on the train but Southern delivered everything they said they would.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Quite.

And to turn it around for our resident jobsworth railworker who seems to think our expectations of rail service is linked to price of ticket: I pay over £4000 a year to travel to and from London. What kind of service can I expect for that?

A train to London on a booked timetable, a £4000 season entitles you to catch any train on the route you have a ticket for. A £3 ticket from London to Eastbourne entitles you to a one journey on a one specific booked train.

Can't see the problem myself. You get what you pay for.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A train to London on a booked timetable, a £4000 season entitles you to catch any train on the route you have a ticket for. A £3 ticket from London to Eastbourne entitles you to a one journey on a one specific booked train.

Can't see the problem myself. You get what you pay for.

Here here.

Usual shit want a cheap ticket with rules attached but then when it doesn't work out still want the bargain - it doesn't work like that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can't see the problem myself.

The sad thing is, I believe you. What a petty-minded little jobsworth you are.

I put up with delays, no seats, late cancellations, short carriages every week of every year and the rail companies use every trick in the book to make sure the captive market are not recompensed for these.

Is it too much to ask for a bit of common sense in cases like this? Why must we always bow to the mantra 'rules are rules'? I guess that's what the OP is getting at. The likes of Ernest, unfortunately, just can't see beyond his rule book.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The sad thing is, I believe you. What a petty-minded little jobsworth you are.

I put up with delays, no seats, late cancellations, short carriages every week of every year and the rail companies use every trick in the book to make sure the captive market are not recompensed for these.

Give it a break the fact is he bought a cheap ticket over two services and SR was not mea culpable in this it was East Coast ergo why blame SR in thread title ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Give it a break the fact is he bought a cheap ticket over two services and SR was not mea culpable in this it was East Coast ergo why blame SR in thread title ?

A bit of common sense is all we ask for. I guess that's asking a bit too much from the rail companies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A bit of common sense is all we ask for. I guess that's asking a bit too much from the rail companies.

Got nothing to do with it, the issue is by buying a cheap ticket you commit yourself contractually to the trains booked on to get the cheap price.

Personally he was too honest and just should have caught the next available train and said nothing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't help feeling your anger is misplaced. This situation is nothing to do with Southern Trains so why moan at them? They sold you that ticket because you agreed to get a particular train. It's not their fault you didn't make it: what were you expecting them to say? As someone else alluded to: if you booked an EasyJet flight from Glasgow to London to then fly on British Airways to New York, would you expect BA to let you on the next flight free if your EasyJet flight was late and you missed the BA one?

If you want to moan, moan at East Coast (though if the Merry Prankster's tale is true, then it's not their fault either).

Either that, or accept you took a gamble that didn't pay off when booking the bargain, restricted, tickets, and put it down to experience
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here