Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furious with East Coast and Southern

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.. another ridiculous analogy. Apparently buying a train journey is like buying a hard drive, some memory and a cooling fan.

Not really. You need a heavy weight computer and some fairly complex programming to be able to determine the cheapest ticket. You certainly need a cooling fan.

It's always been like that even under BR, the time restriction is the one on which you leave London if you are travelling further afield in the morning, not on the time you arrive.
Thanks for this information. I can't see the logic in it, but at least it's better than the answer I feared (which was to thank me for drawing attention to a fare anomaly and promising that it would be removed).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I said on a thread the other day away games where so much easier in the 80's when we had a decent rail service and one company covered the while country

Even in the good old days of BR people still moaned about the railways, It's just something people like to do in this country.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still can't believe some of the whiners on here. We all know the rules, take the chances.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can somebody in the industry, Ernest ? Please answer me this, as the ticket office people didn't seem to know. Why does it coat £10.10 for a single from worthing to h Heath bit for the same journey in reverse the cost is £9.80 ?

That's an easy one - it's downhill on the way back !

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Problem is too many different fare structures so punters are easily confused. The privatised railway was supposed to bring choice, competition and price reductions - this has resulted in profiteering for share holders on the back of joe public. I work on BR for 15 years (engineering side) and went through the privatisation of the industry. The money thats been wasted is incredible and the infrastructure, trains etc are still appalling in many cases. The industry is no better in private hands than it was when it was nationalised.....still thats progress for you :facepalm:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just recieved a letter back from East Coast about this - they have given me a National Rail Voucher refunding me the price of the single i had to buy from London to Eastbourne. Think i was lucky as i probably shouldnt of got that, not that im complaining.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So what would happen if a Hitler got on the train and wanted to see your ticket what could he do as you have paid for a ticket to travel only take your name and send you a bill for any difference.

Probably as well that I dont use trains because I would have just joined the next train and argued my way out of it if needed.

Not a problem because Hitler has been dead for 67 years

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just recieved a letter back from East Coast about this - they have given me a National Rail Voucher refunding me the price of the single i had to buy from London to Eastbourne. Think i was lucky as i probably shouldnt of got that, not that im complaining.

Well that is reasonable and means when we play either Newcastle or Sunderland away next season you can get a discount

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
What do you expect for a 3 quid fare ?

Hang on Ernest, obviously you're sticking up for your work and all and fair play but you buy tickets for trains which are going to depart and arrive at set times. If, through the fault of one or the other TOC's here, you miss a connection surely the party to blame has to pay the difference?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here