Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full credit to El Abd

Adam El-Abd was the true man of the match yesterday. In the second half, that last ditch crunching tackle was absolutely perfect and then toward the end, he played a little bit of keepy uppy before launching the ball out of the area. What a player, the perfect foil for the big and strong Greer or Elphick.

I disagree with you though, NMH. I do think he was rubbish, but he has matured as a person and I think I'm right in saying he became a father a couple of years ago? Which would coincide with his increased maturity, and then Poyet comes in and whatever he's said to El-Abd, it has massively worked. Confidence oozes through him now.

Understand. But of course we're not going to possibly see it the same way because I've praised his ability for years and many have done the opposite - rarely will anyone say "you were right and saw something most couldn't". The things that were blamed on AeA, in my view, were not normally things that were in his control a lot of the time. Often it would be team-mates screwing up, exposing his area of the pitch, or going missing altogether.

I also felt that Elphick is improving slightly with Gus - but I doubt he's got the ability to make the higher grade unless he undergoes a sea-change for the steps up. He always seemed to pansy around or slow down completely with the ball at his feet, as if his mere presence was enough to convince attackers that HE was in possession of the orb and they can't have it. His running was also looking like he was concentrating on how his legs looked in those socks, effortless but at the same time ineffectual and inept.
Lawrenson COULD carry that off because he had a way of striding that was actual pace as well as ability and foresight.
I don't think I'm being harsh in saying that some players invite critique for the way they look rather than play, and some get more praise than they've earned too.
Dimitar Berbatov can appear languid, bored, disinterested and slow - but what a player!
Elphick appears the same, to me, but unfortunately his talent has matched that point of view.
A goal scored here and there was never going to redress the balance either, unless he was given the position of striker.
But anyway, it's always how one sees it, versus another pov. Mine is borne out by Gus Poyet's - although no doubt Aea will get a bad day or make a mistake and get pilloried for it!

I think it's becoming clear that Adam can make the steps up, and will indeed get even more comfortable as he gains experience and confidence. He'll be a tremendous captain, when he's a senior player - mark my words.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here