Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full credit to El Abd

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What the hell was Lawrence's problem when we were taking the piss by passing it around, seemed to take great offence because El-Abd took the piss out of Kanu and ended up getting booked for moaning.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
İbrahim Tatlıses;3897486 said:
Didn't Adam El Abd used to be sluggish, error prone and pure comedy on the ball?

What the f*ck has happened?! The bloke is total class now!

because he used to be asked to cover every other failing player and when found out, fans got on his back. a boost of confidence and some coaching from Gus (and presumably Tarrico), while being planted firmly in the centre of defense and he's shown his quality.

it interesting for all the flair of the side we still have a good heart of steel, that starts with El-Abd.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Adam El-Abd is God......I mean Allah.
You lot crack me up.
Is getting opposition players booked and sent off something that we want to be associated with on the charge to the Championship?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Never ever seen a team so wound up by a single player before - half-time came just in time to save them from being reduced to about 8 men. And they didn't trust Kanu to come out for the second half at all :lolol:

Agreed - Never seen a player so comprehensively wind up the opposition. The foot on the ball "You gonna have to come to me if you want the ball", was sheer class. The resultant 3 yellows Pompey got as their discipline disintegrated faster than a fast thing.

The skill he put into that red card was brilliant. He just knew which buttons to push on Kitson after the initial forays. Went back for more after the first push from kitson (Would love to of heard what he must have said), and went down when he got the second well worked but inevitable shove in the face.

Sledging of a different class. I guess as supporters that is the fun part of his game, but he has done even more on his playing side this season. He is a rock at the centre. Player of the season so far - no doubt.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
He is superb now. Confident and bullish with almost a swagger about the way he plays. I'd happily see him skipper the side, too. MOM today by a country mile. How Chris Wood got it was beyond me (not because he was bad, just because El-Abd was better).

Spot on. I could not have put it better myself.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You lot crack me up.
Is getting opposition players booked and sent off something that we want to be associated with on the charge to the Championship?

Not aware he got anyone booked or sent off today, unless you were neither at the game or watching a different one.

I saw the incident very clearly, there was nothing to provoke Kitson beyond what usually goes on in a penalty area.

He was immense today, probably his best in a Brighton shirt. I'm proud he's a Brighton player even if you can't be.

No surprise he's Poyet's first name on the team sheet.

chrishuet

Feb 1, 2010
Hove
Just great to see a Brighton lad improve so much.Gus has turned him into a legend how many times has he blocked shots or made a clean last ditch challenge this saeason

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Gus etc. has deffinitly influenced him but I think he's also matured from what I've seen and remember. He is a young player still and has probably grown up alot in the last 18 months on and off the field. Contender for P.o.S.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
You lot crack me up.

What are you on?

El-abd was doing his job in the box.....Kitson could not handle the strength of him and lashed out.....Simple.

Kitson's behaviour not for the sunday park let alone the championship.

El-Abd on the other hand had every pompey player in his pocket yesterday, immense.

Liam Lawrence.......what a f*cking whinger. Its something when a player injures himself just to get subbed

I love to say I told you so, but- I told you so.
How long I railed against the downers who said he shouldn't be on the pitch, while he was tactically always exposed (and TE was always awol trying to get goals, as a defender?). Yes I realise lots of you will refuse to admit they were wrong, and will say "he WAS crap and Gus made him great" etcetera, but that too is bollocks. He always has been consistent in his effort, and his ability - which of course IS ever improving - was ALWAYS quality.

A recommend to any Albion fan to say hello to the man and add words of encouragement too - he's a man of humility and appreciative of praise, if just a bit embarrassed to hear it. We had a captain once named Brian Horton - and in my opinion this was a young Horton I was watching fill those football boots every week. There are lifetime club players who just don't happen to get cherry-picked by 'bigger clubs' but are MORE than worth their weight in gold. Club legends like that are RARE, and MORE valuable than 'super-talents' who might grace their club for 3 seasons and be off to bigger things (no fault of their own, it's just the way it goes) - and Adam is OUR CLUB'S LEGEND!

Alright, I'm off my profound soap-box, but el-Abd is a player worth waxing profusively about and now others are getting on board with this opinion - and I'm happy to see it at last. Of course, Gus Poyet is key in enforcing and nurturing his talents - but he knew with AeA that here he had/has something to work with.

What are you on?

El-abd was doing his job in the box.....Kitson could not handle the strength of him and lashed out.....Simple.

Kitson's behaviour not for the sunday park let alone the championship.

El-Abd on the other hand had every pompey player in his pocket yesterday, immense.

Liam Lawrence.......what a f*cking whinger. Its something when a player injures himself just to get subbed

Interesting to read, that.
It just makes me think, that the worst thing for us, that an opposing player can do - is simply respect el-Abd and realise he's much more than a relatively short workman defender with a shaved bonce. They just don't seem to 'enjoy' it when they find out he's capable of putting them in his pocket and keeping them out of harm's way for a whole game. Tough titty, but when they lose their religion about it on a football field in front of a referee - it can mean game-over for their team too :lol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Player of the Season thus far, held his temper commendably and showed great maturity on the ball wearing them down. Kanu lumped around and looked lazy and uninterested. Adam El Abd ... Genius!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Adam El-Abd was the true man of the match yesterday. In the second half, that last ditch crunching tackle was absolutely perfect and then toward the end, he played a little bit of keepy uppy before launching the ball out of the area. What a player, the perfect foil for the big and strong Greer or Elphick.

I disagree with you though, NMH. I do think he was rubbish, but he has matured as a person and I think I'm right in saying he became a father a couple of years ago? Which would coincide with his increased maturity, and then Poyet comes in and whatever he's said to El-Abd, it has massively worked. Confidence oozes through him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here