Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From 606

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Why? Not being confrontational, I'm genuinely interested. I think he'd be a good appointment, especially given the position we're in and the calibre of manager we can attract from that position.

Looking at his managerial career over the years, he's caused trouble at a couple of clubs he's been alegedly he's 'messed about' with wives of players and officials. When the going got tough at Charlton he didn't deliver either, I just think we need a manager who's going to be prepared to roll their sleeves up and get a siege mentality about the place. His record suggests he isn't this type of man. I also remember the slagging off he used to give us when he was Reading manager.

I honestly don't know too much about Salde, his record suggest he's worked with clubs that are struggling and has managed to do fairly well. I understand he left Grimsby and Yeovil because they didn't match his ambitions. That's the sort of man we want, someone who wants to take themselves and the club forward.

Neither of these 2 would have been my first choice though, I think Boothroyd would have been the man to go for, but he (apparently) isn't in the running.

Main thing, I guess, is that we have someone in for Saturday so that the players try their hardest to impress the new boss and we get the win we need. Whoever we get, let's give them time and give them the full backing from the terraces.......even if it is the snake Pardew

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It this is true and it's a choice between these two, personally I'd go for Pardew. If he's asking for a 3 year deal, then he's not thinking short term.

Nothing to do with some security for himself then or the fact he gets a nice pay-off if it all goes tits up??

Whoever the manager is I think it should be on a one year rolling deal, it would offer security of sorts to both parties.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
surely we'd of heard about a press conference being setup by now if this were true

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This is about as likely as Paxo's OFFICIAL thread a few days back.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Of the two not very good options, it's Slade for me. Pardew scares me, look what he did to Charlton, another of those managers on the way down the ladder.

Be interesting to revive this thread in a year's time, all those of you who have come down in favour of Pardew: we know who you are :thumbsup:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Of the two not very good options, it's Slade for me. Pardew scares me, look what he did to Charlton, QUOTE]

That's a ridiculous analogy...Pardew's win ratio at Charlton was over 30% which is still good considering he took over a crap team with no hope of doing anything AND you only have to look at how they're doing now to realise that Pardew wasn't the issue at Charlton!

Just by looking at his win ratio as a manager before he went to Charlton you can see that anything over 40% is better than alot of premiership managers.

You've got to plump for the manager who is going to attract bigger names down here and unfortunately at the moment, if you said do you want to play for Russell Slade to most players, they'd probably say "Who?" just as I did!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's a ridiculous analogy...Pardew's win ratio at Charlton was over 30% which is still good considering he took over a crap team with no hope of doing anything AND you only have to look at how they're doing now to realise that Pardew wasn't the issue at Charlton!

Just by looking at his win ratio as a manager before he went to Charlton you can see that anything over 40% is better than alot of premiership managers.

You've got to plump for the manager who is going to attract bigger names down here and unfortunately at the moment, if you said do you want to play for Russell Slade to most players, they'd probably say "Who?" just as I did!

I'm inclined to agree actually, he is a big name and would give us a real advantage when it comes to luring players here. I would assume he's got good contacts within the game having managed at the highest levels, Slade hasn't so that does work against him because fans would rather have a big name. I'm not too concerned about getting a big name in this time though, I would rather have someone likely to be here for a few years. I know there's talk of a 3 year deal with Pardew, but would he really stay? I have real doubts.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
keep listening and watching folks
as it says by 5pm NOT at 5pm

neither of these excites me in the least but if I have to PARDEW but I do forsee another split in the fanbase

Mar 10, 2006
If this is true and Knight wants Slade but the Blooms want Pardew I can see that it will be Pardew as I don't think they will trust DK on what they see as getting the right man this time around

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It has been a long drawn out affair but the new manager will be announced today by 5.00. Gannon and Ince are out of the reckoning and Boothroyd also turned us down although this is not common knowledge. The final two are Pardew and Slade. Pardew wants a 3 yr contract and to bring in his own backroom and Slade has been offered an initial six month contact with an automatic 18 month extension if we stay up. So it will be one of these two. Knight prefers Slade but the Blooms prefer Pardew. Lets see who gets their choice

:shrug: your guess is as good as mine

I'll have a tenner to a charity of choice that we won't have a new manager by 5 pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here