Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fresh delays at falmer?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is one situation that neither Knight or Perry can be blamed for,projects throughout the country are being postponed or scrapped because of the financial crunch,however it could well mean that Falmer will not happen.The club have little cash and another two seasons in Div 1 with declining gates could put paid to all our hopes.

How does the credit crunch adversely affect Falmer being built?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As far as I can see, the 'credit crunch' is something which slowed up the domestic US home buying market, and had an impact here.

But this is a capital project, one where we are not so dependent on or influenced by the housing market. So where does the credit crunch come into it? Why is it being mentioned at all? I don't understand.

:shrug:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not really. I was suggesting that there will be a projected income in the business model and any potential recession/CC will affect that. I (clearly) do not have much experience with business models. I thought it was an accepted fact that the leisure industry will find it harder to borrow in a time of decline.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not really. I was suggesting that there will be a projected income in the business model and any potential recession/CC will affect that. I (clearly) do not have much experience with business models. I thought it was an accepted fact that the leisure industry will find it harder to borrow in a time of decline.

Which is probably why an educational facility is being built into the infrastructure, rather than, say, a hotel... ???

The business model appears to be sound, and no-one is making any statements or noises about the credit crunch (shit, I hate media-created lazy phrases) adversely affecting the project.

Apart from people WORRYING about the credit crunch adversely affecting the project, that is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As far as I can see, the 'credit crunch' is something which slowed up the domestic US home buying market, and had an impact here.

But this is a capital project, one where we are not so dependent on or influenced by the housing market. So where does the credit crunch come into it? Why is it being mentioned at all? I don't understand.

:shrug:

Perhaps not purely "the credit crunch" but with household incomes being squeezed from many angles, consumer spending will slow on non-essentials. Football attending is non-essential. Believe it or not, for some, it will come after the mortgage, utilities and food.

The price of football, relative to disposable income, has risen and is likely to continue to do so in the short term. Simple economics says that, even for an inelastic product like football, that if the price rises, demand falls.

But what do I know? :shrug:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
This is one situation that neither Knight or Perry can be blamed for,projects throughout the country are being postponed or scrapped because of the financial crunch,however it could well mean that Falmer will not happen.The club have little cash and another two seasons in Div 1 with declining gates could put paid to all our hopes.

then the club dies

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Which is probably why an educational facility is being built into the infrastructure, rather than, say, a hotel... ???

The business model appears to be sound, and no-one is making any statements or noises about the credit crunch (shit, I hate media-created lazy phrases) adversely affecting the project.

Apart from people WORRYING about the credit crunch adversely affecting the project, that is.

I don't imagine they would. I am only speculating and my rumblings are affected by some alcohol consumption. I just think it would have been cheaper at the crest of the wave as everything is linked to the property market and surely financial institutions are going to be more careful if part of their global investments are currently high risk. I am not an economist, so perhaps my fears are unfounded.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
with regards to the credit crunch it was said on the news that food alone has increased by 6% since january

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What a load of kallobs. The start has been put back a few weeks, you'd think it had been shelved listening to the moaners on here.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
:lol:

I can't say that convinces me of anything.

Of course bigger stadiums have been built faster, but on a programme that was ALWAYS priced up to be built at that speed,an "accelerated programme" is when you go back to the contactors and negotiate how you can build it faster than was originally priced. However you look at it we will start late (months late) and therefore what was once a July finish, would suddenly be September / October if built to the same programme, and then you need to pay for an "accelerated programme" to make the timeframe of the project shorter.(QUOTE]

Mate, you dont have to work in the industry to work out that, as the tender process is just beginning and as the club is aware of this initial slippage, that they will factor this period into the tender programme - ie they will tell those companies bidding for the project that instead of 18 months to build the stadium they have 17 months instead!

Simple really!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure there will be a few more twists and turns and probably setbacks along the way. But like the new Wembley, it WILL get built. And that's the important thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps not purely "the credit crunch" but with household incomes being squeezed from many angles, consumer spending will slow on non-essentials. Football attending is non-essential. Believe it or not, for some, it will come after the mortgage, utilities and food.

The price of football, relative to disposable income, has risen and is likely to continue to do so in the short term. Simple economics says that, even for an inelastic product like football, that if the price rises, demand falls.

But what do I know? :shrug:

Fair enough. I'll buy that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here