Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freeview HD

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seen this advertising a lot recently and seems like it's worth getting for freeview customers - free to air HD once you've bought the box...

Anyone else got one / considering getting one?

It's also just been announced that some of these new HB Freeview boxes will have SKY PLAYER - which is a right result for people wanting Sky Sports who don't have Sky. The only problem is at the moment you can't seem to JUST get Sky Sports on the Sky Player (you have to have a £15 a month entertainment package and then Sky Sports on top of that for about £34 if i'm right).

It would be great if they did a similar thing on the Sky Player with normal Sky where you can just buy Sky Sports 1 for £10 and both Sky Sports 1 & 2 for something like £16 a month...

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Ok whilst we're on a tv theme. I moving into an apartment for a while before rest of the family join me. It has a communal satellite dish shared between 12 apartments.

Can I take along with me one of my spare sky boxes and get the free channels or can I buy one of these freeview thingys and plug it into the dish?

Cheers

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Seen this advertising a lot recently and seems like it's worth getting for freeview customers - free to air HD once you've bought the box...

Anyone else got one / considering getting one?

It's also just been announced that some of these new HB Freeview boxes will have SKY PLAYER - which is a right result for people wanting Sky Sports who don't have Sky. The only problem is at the moment you can't seem to JUST get Sky Sports on the Sky Player (you have to have a £15 a month entertainment package and then Sky Sports on top of that for about £34 if i'm right).

It would be great if they did a similar thing on the Sky Player with normal Sky where you can just buy Sky Sports 1 for £10 and both Sky Sports 1 & 2 for something like £16 a month...

Is there much if any difference between Freesat HD & Freeview HD?

Re your point about Sky Player, as Sky Sports is their flagship attraction Sky have always wanted to milk plenty of ££'s from you to have it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is there much if any difference between Freesat HD & Freeview HD?

Re your point about Sky Player, as Sky Sports is their flagship attraction Sky have always wanted to milk plenty of ££'s from you to have it.

Don't know anything about freesat HD? Is that part of the digital switchover?

Yeh know what u mean bout Sky mate - just a shame they offer just the sports channels now on normal sky even if you're not getting an entertainment package i think...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
FreeSat is fairly similar except for SKY SPORTS NEWS - you only get that on freeview... and think u need Sky dish for Freesat

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think as part of the ruling which saw Sky forced into reducing their wholesale rates for their sports channels they also have to offer them unbundled, hence people being able to buy just Sky Sports 1 or 2 or both.

I don't know how it will work with this new Sky Player on Freeview service but I don't think they are allowed to insist you pay for a "basic" package before allowing you to select their sports channels anymore.

Fingers crossed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh mate - i'd happily pay £10 - £15 even if just for Sky Sports 1 as that has most good things on. The Sky Player Website seems to offer no such package tho - hopefully this ruling will change things - when does the ruling come in? I think Sky have challenged it...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Freeview HD does look pretty good BUT it's worth noting that it is only available in certain areas and isn't due to get rolled out in Brighton until 2012

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Freeview HD does look pretty good BUT it's worth noting that it is only available in certain areas and isn't due to get rolled out in Brighton until 2012

Oh right... Dunno if Heathfield will be any different. Cheers for letting me know bud. Hopefully the normal channels will still work and maybe even the SkyPlayer if i were to get it...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think Sky are trying to kick off about the Ofcom ruling but as far as I know it's a fruitless fight.

You can read about it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/19/response-letters-emails

Sounds like Sky have no choice but to offer sports channels on their own now, which surely includes via Sky player on Freeview HD or alternatively if not you could get them from Top up TV on your freeview box instead

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
really? When!? I've got a top up tv box mate so if that def happens that saves buying the HD box yet too!!!

Sweet...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Could happen any day now but probably rests on Sky failing in their bid to overturn the Ofcom ruling

Sky Sports 1 and 2 could become available on Freeview via Top Up TV if Ofcom's ruling against Sky is implemented.

The industry regulator has today told Sky it must cut the cost it charges rival broadcasters to show its premium sports channels.

"Top Up TV has been denied wholesale access to Sky's premium channels (under any terms) for almost five years, and we look forward to offering Sky Sports 1 and 2 to Freeview homes at competitive prices, without long-term contracts, or a requirement to buy bundled packages of other channels and services," says David Chance, chairman of Top Up TV.

"Today's decision from Ofcom is good news for consumers as it will lead to lower prices with more flexible packages for Sky Sports 1 and 2, and we hope Ofcom's remedy will be implemented without delay."

Top Up TV to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 on Freeview - whathifi.com

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Oh right... Dunno if Heathfield will be any different. Cheers for letting me know bud. Hopefully the normal channels will still work and maybe even the SkyPlayer if i were to get it...

Heathfield is 3 months later than Brighton, June 2012 as against March 2012 for Whitehawk. If you want freeview in Heathfield at the moment it can be decidley crap because not only is the transmitter on very low power for now its also highly directional which means that if your not in the right area its hard to pick up. My sister in law lives in Mutton Hall Lane Heathfield, can see the transmitter but can't get a decent signal unless she shells out loads for a new ariel. She will be ok in 2012 when they up the power but until then she can forget it.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Freesat HD and Freeview HD are the same thing except for the channels and you need a dish (any dish (obviously a satalite one not one from the kitchen) does not have to be a sky one) to receive it.

Freesat HD is available all over now Freeview HD should be available all over once we have switched from analogue to digital. The switch over requires the new one to be powered up and th old one powered down. They are in the process of powering up freeview from the Sutton Coldfield (Birmingham) transmitter now and the old analogue is getting a bit grainy on ITV and others I have noticed.

Having a HD TV helps otherwise no point in any of this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Heathfield is 3 months later than Brighton, June 2012 as against March 2012 for Whitehawk. If you want freeview in Heathfield at the moment it can be decidley crap because not only is the transmitter on very low power for now its also highly directional which means that if your not in the right area its hard to pick up. My sister in law lives in Mutton Hall Lane Heathfield, can see the transmitter but can't get a decent signal unless she shells out loads for a new ariel. She will be ok in 2012 when they up the power but until then she can forget it.

INCREDIBLY random that i live on that exact road!!! We get freeview perfectly through the ariel and even get most channels perfectly on the other TV through an indoor ariel!!! That's very odd if she can't get it...

How random!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
INCREDIBLY random that i live on that exact road!!! We get freeview perfectly through the ariel and even get most channels perfectly on the other TV through an indoor ariel!!! That's very odd if she can't get it...

How random!

Yes it is! The people either side of her can't get it, the people opposite and down the road a bit can!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ok whilst we're on a tv theme. I moving into an apartment for a while before rest of the family join me. It has a communal satellite dish shared between 12 apartments.

Can I take along with me one of my spare sky boxes and get the free channels or can I buy one of these freeview thingys and plug it into the dish?

Cheers

Freeview is picked up by an aeriel. You will be able to pick up the free channels on satellite with your sky box by plugging it into the communal system , this will be cheaper than buying a Freesat box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here