Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Franchise fc are down

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
Update us on your bet with Attila again and what the timescale is on one of you winning, and how far the two clubs are now apart in leagues. The MKs may stabilise now if they keep Wilson but the AFCs are going to progress, aren't they, sooner or later?

The bet was struck on 21/12/2004 in the middle of the infamous Brighton & Wrexham Fans United scarves thread.

We have a bet of £500 on which club will be higher in the English pyramid system five years from the date of the wager (pay day: 22/12/2009). Attila is represented by AFC Wimbledon. I am represented by the MK Dons. The winnings will go to the footballing cause of the winner's choice.

The MK Dons will begin next season in Coca Cola League Two. AFC Wimbledon will be in the Ryman League Premier Division. Currently, the Conference and the Conference South stand between the two clubs.

The size of AFC Wimbledon's task was highlighted this season when they finished only fourth in the Ryman Premier, behind Braintree Town, Heybridge Swifts and Fisher Athletic. They then lost to Fisher in the play-offs.

The average attendances of the teams in the promotion shake-up are interesting. They are: Braintree 577, Heybridge 285, Fisher 217, AFC Wimbledon 2,706, Hampton & Richmond 416. Clearly, AFC Wimbledon are by far the biggest club in the division in terms of support, but they still finished 17 points behind champions Braintree.

Climbing the non-league ladder in this country is no easy task. Ask Newport County's fans.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lord Bracknell said:
Once again County produced their now customary end-of-season surge to hang on to Conference South status.

It was an amazing revival. They looked dead and buried at one point. I heard on the radio the other day that the current County chairman is claiming they are now in their healthiest state off the pitch for years. Let's hope so, because they've been in a hell of a state lately.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Great maybe we can get their manager on the cheap!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
As a matter of interest, this season the MK Dons were relegated instead of a club who are almost certain to go into administration at some point during the next week.

As a matter of fact the MK Dons would have been relegated last season had it not been for another club in administration being fined 10 points.
:censored:

They've finished in the bottom four two years in a row now - they deserve to be in League Two.

But looking at the squad and the backing they'll get from Winkleman and his lot, I expect them to put in a strong challenge for promotion next season.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
captainmorganrum said:
......looking at the squad and the backing they'll get from Winkleman and his lot, I expect them to put in a strong challenge for promotion next season.

Me too.

Their crowds over the last few years have been interesting. Despite three consecutive relegation battles, two of which they've lost, their attendances have been steadily increasing:

2003/04: Average of 4,751
2004/05: Average of 4,896
2005/06: Average of 5,776

Last edited:

Seagull Stew

Bwian said:
If reports are true they could go into liquidation as early as next week...then it'd be curtains for Rotherham.

How does this effect Rotherham? ???

The Laughing Bluebird said:
The bet was struck on 21/12/2004 in the middle of the infamous Brighton & Wrexham Fans United scarves thread.

We have a bet of £500 on which club will be higher in the English pyramid system five years from the date of the wager (pay day: 22/12/2009). Attila is represented by AFC Wimbledon. I am represented by the MK Dons. The winnings will go to the footballing cause of the winner's choice.

The MK Dons will begin next season in Coca Cola League Two. AFC Wimbledon will be in the Ryman League Premier Division. Currently, the Conference and the Conference South stand between the two clubs.

The size of AFC Wimbledon's task was highlighted this season when they finished only fourth in the Ryman Premier, behind Braintree Town, Heybridge Swifts and Fisher Athletic. They then lost to Fisher in the play-offs.

The average attendances of the teams in the promotion shake-up are interesting. They are: Braintree 577, Heybridge 285, Fisher 217, AFC Wimbledon 2,706, Hampton & Richmond 416. Clearly, AFC Wimbledon are by far the biggest club in the division in terms of support, but they still finished 17 points behind champions Braintree.

Climbing the non-league ladder in this country is no easy task. Ask Newport County's fans.

Given the promotions the AFCs have had in previous years, it is not surprising that they have hit a bit of gravity this season - but logic dictates that they will start favourites to go up next.

So as I see it, for Attila to win they will need 3 promotions in 3 years if the MKs stabilise in League 2 (which they may or may not do - a lot will depend if they keep Wilson and give him some kind of support).

So I guess that probably makes you favourite to win the bet, Attila gave you too generous a timescale I think, he should have put another 3 years on it, it is likely he will demonstrate his point (about the two teams passing each other sooner or later) but because of the time constraint you will probably get the money.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What if both are in the same division on 21/12/09? Do you call it quits? Or are you going to go on league position on that date?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
Attila gave you too generous a timescale I think, he should have put another 3 years on it

I've a feeling he was assuming the MK Dons would get relegated last season (it looked long odds on when the bet was struck) and that AFC Wimbledon would get promoted this season. Neither happened.

A lot of people seemed to think that AFC Wimbledon would sail through the divisions when they were formed, but the non-league ladder really isn't that easy to climb. I would expect them to be no higher than the Conference South come December 2009.

You say it is likely the two teams will pass each other sooner or later. While that's certainly a possibility, I don't see it happening any time soon (ie: not within ten years). Many seemed to think that the MK Dons would go bust when the club was relocated to Milton Keynes, but the fact is that their support is steadily growing and their crowds are very respectable by lower division standards.

They had 7,777 for their latest home game - evidence that their support is on the increase. I've also noticed they've been taking decent numbers to some of their away games this season. They may struggle in League Two - who knows? But I reckon they could prove one of the stronger sides in the division next season, and I'll be amazed if they end up anywhere near the relegation zone.

As for AFC Wimbledon, they will find the Conference South no easy task if they get there, and the Conference itself contains several clubs with longer Football League histories than Wimbledon had (Hereford, Halifax, Exeter, York, Cambridge, Aldershot, and now Oxford), as well as some historically strong non-league outfits (Kidderminster, Burton, Woking, Dagenham, etc). I reckon the Football League is a long way off.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Brovian said:
What if both are in the same division on 21/12/09? Do you call it quits? Or are you going to go on league position on that date?

League position at that date.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Fisher Athletic were a better team than AFC Wimbledon in the play off although AFC had a lot of injuries.

Milton Keynes will lose fans when they move to the new stadium. A lot of fans only go at the moment as it is convenient. It won't be when it is out of town.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Generally the non-league laddder is exceptionally difficult to climb but there are exceptions to that rule.

Cheltenham Town went from the old Southern League to Division 2 (League 1) in (i think) consecutive seasons.

Also anyone remember Colne Dynamos?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here