Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

France and Greece say NO to austerity

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
ill keep an eye on it, dont need to change until July, rate is as good as its been for ages and dont want to lose out!!

We need Euros for around 4-weeks time so will wait at present

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
i thought about that, but you get a better deal going with £1000 cash than you do with £250 cash, in the long run I think better off waiting

On 1k you won't save much, you can save the same amount shopping around and blagging (so long as you don't go mad) that you have had a better rate along the road.

It also depends where you are going - I imagine some people in Greece might want a few £'s in case they get the Dracma back

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Maybe France and Greece are showing the way in that there's only so far a government can beat up on the modestly-paid teachers that educate your kids, the doctors and nurses who look after your health, the refuse collectors who empty your bins, basically all the people who do socially responsible jobs that a civilised society needs to function, and none of whom caused this shitstorm in the first place. Squeeze people too far and you get voted out of office.

Amen. Good on France. Say what you like, f*** with a Frenchmen, and they'll kick back.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
On 1k you won't save much, you can save the same amount shopping around and blagging (so long as you don't go mad) that you have had a better rate along the road.

It also depends where you are going - I imagine some people in Greece might want a few £'s in case they get the Dracma back

SOuth of France, no bartering down there!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i thought about that, but you get a better deal going with £1000 cash than you do with £250 cash, in the long run I think better off waiting

The rate is 1.2 on Travelex. That's pretty good isn't it? It was 1.17 when I got some Euros a month back. Maybe there is confidence in the new French government?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Perhaps the current World economic model is wrong. After all, everyone talks about economic growth, yet that growth is the useage of finite resources i.e oil, metals, food, water and land. Those resources are dwindling, esp Oil unless we drill in the Arctic, but then kill the planet more.

The more a country uses i.e grows, the less there is for someone else. It used to be the Western world that used the worlds resources. Now we have China and India using more and more oil and metals, food etc and so driving up the price. The higher the price, the lower growth i.e people will be spending more of their money on the basics, heating, food etc and less on goods/holidays/cars.

Whats the answer? History suggests two options. A huge world war or step change in technological know how i.e from feudal system to the Industrial Revolution. There is the other option - which is to drill the Arctic, but thats only delaying things and may lead to a inhospitable planet and our extinction.

I hope we go for a technological change, but I fear that we are too far in bed with Oil.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Also the Steel Plant is Thai owned isn't it. Its decline started in 1988 when it was privatised and sold off via a merge with a Dutch company to become Corus. To manufacture things you really need a steel industry and Thatcher dismantled it with that yank Mcgregor
The steel plant being de-mothballed is owned by Tata Steel which is an Indian multinational. Ian MacGregor was born in Scotland but became a naturalized American citizen who was doing such a good job at British Steel in 1983 by cutting the workforce that Maggie made him Chairman of the National Coal Board and we all know what happened next :lol:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Perhaps the current World economic model is wrong. After all, everyone talks about economic growth, yet that growth is the useage of finite resources i.e oil, metals, food, water and land. Those resources are dwindling, esp Oil unless we drill in the Arctic, but then kill the planet more.

The more a country uses i.e grows, the less there is for someone else. It used to be the Western world that used the worlds resources. Now we have China and India using more and more oil and metals, food etc and so driving up the price. The higher the price, the lower growth i.e people will be spending more of their money on the basics, heating, food etc and less on goods/holidays/cars.

Whats the answer? History suggests two options. A huge world war or step change in technological know how i.e from feudal system to the Industrial Revolution. There is the other option - which is to drill the Arctic, but thats only delaying things and may lead to a inhospitable planet and our extinction.

I hope we go for a technological change, but I fear that we are too far in bed with Oil.

Oils not the problem, Population growth is.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Back to the subject,France i don't believe will default or leave the Euro Germany will make sure of that (they need each other) Greece is the tipping point and i give it little more than six months before that point is reached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here