Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fpt final lords 25th july,sussex v hants

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok, the 3 main models don’t match up exactly on my chosen forecast date / time of Satuday noon.

GFS – from today’s 00Z model run, the GFS has relatively high pressure over Southern England (including London).

3738627294_1cf393ea88_o.jpg

ECMWF - As they don’t do as 126 hour forecast, the nearest I can get is for midnight Friday / Saturday. The 1020mb isobar is along the channel coast, but by midnight Saturday is into the midlands, so it’s rising for London during the day.

3737835857_916bee2d2d_o.jpg

UKMO – The UK Met Office forecast is very similar to the ECM model output, with the 1020mb isobar further south at midnight Fri / Sat. Once again this moves north during the day, so an improving picture.

3738630806_2bee458267_o.jpg

What these don’t show is any fronts that may be embedded in the flow, so it’s not clear how much cloud (& rain?) we’ll get.

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
Saw this by RMJ on Test Match Extra:

Quote:
As we at Sussex prepare for our second Lord’s final in four years, Hampshire will be preparing for their third in five years. It is an intriguing clash between two of the strongest county teams of the decade and a local(ish) derby to boot.

The teams played out a rain-affected draw in the recent County Championship match at Arundel and then Sussex won an edgy Pro40 match on the Sunday.

Both games were played in the proper spirit proving that the bad blood between us, created mostly by Shane Warne’s histrionics in recent years, is water under the bridge.

Warne seemed to engender the most aggressive instincts in his players and with Chris Adams at Sussex’s helm the contests always had one or two needlessly combative subtexts – something which hasn’t been a problem since the phlegmatic Dimi Mascarenhas took over the Hampshire captaincy.

The presence of Mascarenhas and other extremely talented cricketers on both teams should be enough to whet the appetite of cricket fans of all inclinations.

Twenty20 might be the nation’s new love child but having played in both the Twenty20 Cup finals day and a Lord’s final I can safely say the Lord’s showpiece still wins hands down when it comes to significance and atmosphere.

Fifty-over cricket has had some bad press since the calamitous World Cup in the West Indies, but in the domestic game it still pulls in decent crowds and when a county gets on a roll, as Sussex have done this season, the excitement surrounding it is palpable from players and spectators alike.

The changes in regulations (power plays and automatic ball change at 34 overs) have added an intriguing nuance to the middle overs to spice up what was a tired formula. We have had many more close contests this year as a result.

I think there is still a general feeling among county players that the team that wins the 50-over competition is the best one-day team in the country that year. Twenty20 is over in such a rush that the best teams can easily be knocked out by one piece of individual brilliance.

The team that comes in the top two of its Friends Provident Trophy group after ten matches, and then wins a highly pressurised quarter-final, semi-final and final, really deserves the title of best one-day team.

And to be able to play the final at Lord’s is still a thrill for those lucky enough to experience it. Twenty20 Cup finals day is one mad adrenalin rush but playing at Edgbaston or the Rose Bowl, with only a quarter of the ground supporting your team, just doesn’t have the cachet of a day at Lord’s.

One more point about the build-up to the final: while we have the preceding week free, allowing us to practice our skills and plan at leisure, our opponents are playing a Championship match which ends on Friday. Only time will tell whether this has an effect on the result of the final.

I am a regular critic of the county fixture list but this is one occasion I’m willing to forgive its vagaries. Mascarenhas and his Hampshire team, however, might not be feeling so magnanimous.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Saw this by RMJ on Test Match Extra:

Quote:
As we at Sussex prepare for our second Lord’s final in four years, Hampshire will be preparing for their third in five years. It is an intriguing clash between two of the strongest county teams of the decade and a local(ish) derby to boot.

The teams played out a rain-affected draw in the recent County Championship match at Arundel and then Sussex won an edgy Pro40 match on the Sunday.

Both games were played in the proper spirit proving that the bad blood between us, created mostly by Shane Warne’s histrionics in recent years, is water under the bridge.

Warne seemed to engender the most aggressive instincts in his players and with Chris Adams at Sussex’s helm the contests always had one or two needlessly combative subtexts – something which hasn’t been a problem since the phlegmatic Dimi Mascarenhas took over the Hampshire captaincy.

The presence of Mascarenhas and other extremely talented cricketers on both teams should be enough to whet the appetite of cricket fans of all inclinations.

Twenty20 might be the nation’s new love child but having played in both the Twenty20 Cup finals day and a Lord’s final I can safely say the Lord’s showpiece still wins hands down when it comes to significance and atmosphere.

Fifty-over cricket has had some bad press since the calamitous World Cup in the West Indies, but in the domestic game it still pulls in decent crowds and when a county gets on a roll, as Sussex have done this season, the excitement surrounding it is palpable from players and spectators alike.

The changes in regulations (power plays and automatic ball change at 34 overs) have added an intriguing nuance to the middle overs to spice up what was a tired formula. We have had many more close contests this year as a result.

I think there is still a general feeling among county players that the team that wins the 50-over competition is the best one-day team in the country that year. Twenty20 is over in such a rush that the best teams can easily be knocked out by one piece of individual brilliance.

The team that comes in the top two of its Friends Provident Trophy group after ten matches, and then wins a highly pressurised quarter-final, semi-final and final, really deserves the title of best one-day team.

And to be able to play the final at Lord’s is still a thrill for those lucky enough to experience it. Twenty20 Cup finals day is one mad adrenalin rush but playing at Edgbaston or the Rose Bowl, with only a quarter of the ground supporting your team, just doesn’t have the cachet of a day at Lord’s.

One more point about the build-up to the final: while we have the preceding week free, allowing us to practice our skills and plan at leisure, our opponents are playing a Championship match which ends on Friday. Only time will tell whether this has an effect on the result of the final.

I am a regular critic of the county fixture list but this is one occasion I’m willing to forgive its vagaries. Mascarenhas and his Hampshire team, however, might not be feeling so magnanimous.

Another very good piece by RMJ.... will he follow his father into full time journalism once he retires?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i was just about to post the same papa, im now getting dead excited about tomorrow, weather looks perfect too.

Indeed. The weather looks perfect for a balanced game of cricket, with no rain and consistent cloud cover during the day. Win the toss, bat and rack up a big total.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Indeed. The weather looks perfect for a balanced game of cricket, with no rain and consistent cloud cover during the day. Win the toss, bat and rack up a big total.

Yep I seem to remember saying pretty much the same myself in 2006!! I fully expect Sussex to let themselves and the thousands of loyal fans down on saturday with a piss poor batting peformance, and the true giants of cricket being home and dry by 5pm.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep I seem to remember saying pretty much the same myself in 2006!! I fully expect Sussex to let themselves and the thousands of loyal fans down on saturday with a piss poor batting peformance, and the true giants of cricket being home and dry by 5pm.

2006 was a nightmare weather wise.... morning rain, with brighter conditions later... lose the toss, inserted and 5 down within a matter of minutes (it felt that way).... with Lancashire to bat in the sun.... game over.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
2006 was a nightmare weather wise.... morning rain, with brighter conditions later... lose the toss, inserted and 5 down within a matter of minutes (it felt that way).... with Lancashire to bat in the sun.... game over.

At the break that year I turned to a chap from Lancs and said well least we will be back in Brighton by 5 to which he responded dont bet on it I think you have enough runs on this pitch lol

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Don't know why you are all getting excited. It's not as if we ever win anything is it? Now the BIG teams like Lancashire and Hampshire with proper cricket grounds are always winning. Just ask Dominic Cork. :wink:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't know why you are all getting excited. It's not as if we ever win anything is it? Now the BIG teams like Lancashire and Hampshire with proper cricket grounds are always winning. Just ask Dominic Cork. :wink:

Indeed... they are the rightful champions, even before we start; with their big Test Match™ venues.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Dimitri Mascarenhas has retired hurt, that could be very good news if he's out, one of their best batsmen and bowlers. But Carberry looks like he could be in a little form

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Dimitri Mascarenhas has retired hurt, that could be very good news if he's out, one of their best batsmen and bowlers. But Carberry looks like he could be in a little form

That could be massive news... their captain and all-round very good cricketer out injured. Carberry is also a very good player, mind, but he's bound to be tired after his marathon innings :rolleyes:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Excited?... I'm close to a little dribble here... Cannot wait to roll out of BN1 on the 0749 train! :drink: :dasreich:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here