Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FPC Press Conference at 2pm today [15 Aug]

Link

Falmer appeal decision to be made today
By Simon Barrett
Comment
Brighton and Hove Albion will find out today whether opponents of the proposed Falmer stadium will launch an appeal.

One of the last remaining hurdles was removed when the South Downs Society today said it would not challenge the Government's decision to grant permission for the 22,500 seat arena.

Fans are now anxiously awaiting news from Falmer Parish Council, which also opposes the £50million development at Village Way North.

advertisementParish councillor Simon Barnes told The Argus the council expected to make a statement to the Press this afternoon.

Coun Barnes refused to reveal the contents of the release but the council is expected to spell out whether it will appeal.

The South Downs Society decision not to appeal follows in the footsteps of Lewes District Council which swiftly decided against another costly legal battle.

Jacquetta Fewster, director of the South Downs Society, said "Our volunteers have campaigned tirelessly for many years but it is clear to us that further action by those who hold our countryside dear is futile in the face of the Governmentís determination.

"We will keep a close watch on this site. The developers have been instructed to fulfil certain conditions and the society will ensure that these are met.

"The backers of the Falmer Stadium and other schemes throughout the downs have been left in no doubt about one thing. The South Downs Society will always campaign forcefully against proposals which will damage our downs."

The society's decision was today welcomed by the club and stadium campaigners.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "It's great news and we are very pleased. Again my message to Falmer council is simple - let's sit down and talk and make this work for all concerned."

Paul Samrah, chairman of the Falmer For All campaign, said: "I am delighted. The spotlight is now firmly on Falmer Parish Council. If your friends don't want to come to the party, there is not much of a party left. The time has to build bridges and begin working together."

Communities Secretary Hazel Blears moved to end a decade of uncertainty for Albion last month by approving plans for the stadium, but opponents still have until September 4 to try and derail the scheme.

The original decision to grant permission, made by John Prescott in October 2005, was quashed by the Government after it was revealed he made a mistake in the wording of the document.

Albion have been without a permanent home since 1997. The Goldstone Ground, in Hove, was sold off to developers by the club's previous owners before they were ousted by the current board.

11:53am today

IMHO it sounds like that they've come to a conclusion, after the South Downs Society chucking the towel in, that they can't continue anymore and will accept defeat and will accept the olive branch being proffered by the club.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
So close, and finally not very far!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any idea when this press conference will happen and they have their last 15 minutes of fame slot ?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
IMHO it sounds like that they've come to a conclusion, after the South Downs Society chucking the towel in, that they can't continue anymore and will accept defeat and will accept the olive branch being proffered by the club.

personally i'd prefer if that olive branch was metaphorically shoved up cuttress's arse

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They are DEFINATELY giving up the fight !!! :thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
:dance:

Yee ha !!!!!

The fat lady is just clearing her throat as we speak. Let the celebrations begin, I 'd put my house and career on F.P.C pulling out of the race.

Happy days.

personally i'd prefer if that olive branch was metaphorically shoved up cuttress's arse

All the more reason for Cuntress having a face like a smacked arse and like she's chewing a wasp.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Looking good, I must say

Any idea whether they'll speak to the fearless reporter from the Argus?

Or will this be a private gathering and the news will only be published in the October edition of Duck Pond Quarterly?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Any idea whether they'll speak to the fearless reporter from the Argus?

Or will this be a private gathering and the news will only be published in the October edition of Duck Pond Quarterly?

It should be delivered from the Hall Of Shame or a witches coven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here