Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fozzy On Saturday - His Final Argus Column

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It's probably been posted already, but I didn't see it, apologies if it has...

IT WAS with a very heavy heart that I finally put pen to paper and ended my association with Brighton & Hove Albion on Thursday afternoon.

I left the training ground at midday and soon discovered that I had this oppurtunity to leave and yet I sat at home pondering this all the way up to the deadline, unsure as to whether this was really right for me.

Sadly, in many ways it was too good to turn down and therefore I opted to join Charlton on loan until the end of the season but I leave with some fantastic memories which will be lasting.

Unfortunately the one thing that I no longer have on my side in the game is time, a remark I have made on numerous occasions recently during discussions with the gaffer.

On knocking on his door in the first place, I can honestly say that my main focus was on securing a one-year extension here at Brighton with the possibility of some coaching experience. Unfortunately that guarantee couldn't be given and I had to contemplate a playing life elsewhere.

At times it's fair to say that our relationship has been strained but I made a point of sitting down with him after training yesterday, we spoke at length and both shook hands at the end fully understanding each others side of the situation.

My age obviously plays a part and to be fair some wrote me off even before I had pulled on the blue and white striped shirt but after 51 goals in 119 games I hope I have convinced even my fiercest critics.

One such detractor happened to be Tommy Elphick's granddad who commented to a lad sat next to him at one of my earlier games that he "didn't think much of the new lad do you?" to which the lad replied "Well, that is my step-dad so I have to disagree!" Thanks Jake.

The Stockport game last May is clearly a highlight for me, a day that I could never forget and the scenes that followed are an example of what makes this club great.

I had been injured leading up to the game and the lads have never forgotten me walking on to the training ground broadcasting "Panic over boys, I'm back now!"

I think some were genuinely gutted when I popped up with the decisive goal after all their hard work previously. I couldn't have written it better if I tried, could I?

I am hugely proud of my achievements at the club both on in terms of games played and goals scored and feel that the club has been good for me and hope that I have repaid that by being good for the club.

My lasting view of Brighton is that it is a fantastic club with some of the best fans I've seen. I have made friend and loved every minute of it. I have been proud to be its captain. It will always be a club I love and hope to be back at some day soon.

Until then and for the final time.

All the best,

Fozzy

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It's probably been posted already, but I didn't see it, apologies if it has...

IT WAS with a very heavy heart that I finally put pen to paper and ended my association with Brighton & Hove Albion on Thursday afternoon.

I left the training ground at midday and soon discovered that I had this oppurtunity to leave and yet I sat at home pondering this all the way up to the deadline, unsure as to whether this was really right for me.

Sadly, in many ways it was too good to turn down and therefore I opted to join Charlton on loan until the end of the season but I leave with some fantastic memories which will be lasting.

Unfortunately the one thing that I no longer have on my side in the game is time, a remark I have made on numerous occasions recently during discussions with the gaffer.

On knocking on his door in the first place, I can honestly say that my main focus was on securing a one-year extension here at Brighton with the possibility of some coaching experience. Unfortunately that guarantee couldn't be given and I had to contemplate a playing life elsewhere.

At times it's fair to say that our relationship has been strained but I made a point of sitting down with him after training yesterday, we spoke at length and both shook hands at the end fully understanding each others side of the situation.

My age obviously plays a part and to be fair some wrote me off even before I had pulled on the blue and white striped shirt but after 51 goals in 119 games I hope I have convinced even my fiercest critics.

One such detractor happened to be Tommy Elphick's granddad who commented to a lad sat next to him at one of my earlier games that he "didn't think much of the new lad do you?" to which the lad replied "Well, that is my step-dad so I have to disagree!" Thanks Jake.

The Stockport game last May is clearly a highlight for me, a day that I could never forget and the scenes that followed are an example of what makes this club great.

I had been injured leading up to the game and the lads have never forgotten me walking on to the training ground broadcasting "Panic over boys, I'm back now!"

I think some were genuinely gutted when I popped up with the decisive goal after all their hard work previously. I couldn't have written it better if I tried, could I?

I am hugely proud of my achievements at the club both on in terms of games played and goals scored and feel that the club has been good for me and hope that I have repaid that by being good for the club.

My lasting view of Brighton is that it is a fantastic club with some of the best fans I've seen. I have made friend and loved every minute of it. I have been proud to be its captain. It will always be a club I love and hope to be back at some day soon.

Until then and for the final time.

All the best,

Fozzy

:clap2::thumbsup:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I kept my mouth shut until recently (when I felt some of the adulation was slightly misplaced and ott) about how I felt about Fozzygate. Reading that has made me realise I have been overly harsh in my criticism of Nicky in that respect as he obviously has more love for BHA than I gave him credit for.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It's good that Fozzy has been able to depart on good terms. I think the whole saga could actually have made team spirit stronger as they all know that Gus is firm, but fair.

Best wishes Fozzy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:cry:

the bloke is a f***ing saint!!!!!

Thanks for the memories Fozzie

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Still think our best player at the club should have been retained for another year.
We will miss you Fozzy. Good luck in the future.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I cannot understand the criticism of some fans towards Fozzy. We wouldn't even be in this division without his goals. He still has a couple of decent seasons in him and I for one am sad about his departure.

I sincerely wish him well at Charlton and hope he earns a contract for next season as he deserves it.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
I do think he had done enough this season to warrant a 1 year extension with a condition that he might be on the bench.
Think it's a shame but no one player or person is bigger than the club........

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Always will remember Fozzie with admiration. Very sorry to see him go. Just watching the DVD of the first half of the season shows how much we owe him. Hope he does well at Charlton and that when his playing days are over he does get a job in coaching.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Leaves as top scorer, still looked hungry, has a very intelligent footballing brain and more importantly, as shines through in the article, he really did enjoy his time here.

Just think it was one of those situations in life where personailities clash and there was nothing either of them could do about it. Nicky has a family to provide for and Gus has a budget to stick to. IF Forster's wages were what has been often reported on here then I understand Gus's predicament, but a none the less disappointing end to a good relationship.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it goes without saying we will miss his ability and it very sad he has gone however what he wanted the manger was not prepared to offer and as your career in football ends that final contract has to suit both parties.

He will no doubt get the two year deal he aspires to however not with us.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
It's a real shame that way it has all ended and a bit of a tarnish on a great contribution since he signed. I would have liked to have seen him here for a bit longer and can see him coming back and scoring. Good luck to him though, without him who knows what league we could be playing in.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If only he`d kept his quite understandable frustrations private and not gone public he may have been given his 1yr but he didnt and it is to his and the clubs eternal regret that he didnt, but it was a stupid thing to do given his apparent standing and experience in the game so he`s not a saint.

Whether he would have been given the 1yr without this cock-up could be argued all night but I suspect he may have got the offer of 1yr on lower wages so may have ended up going somewhere else for more money anyway. We do have alot to thank him for and he has been an excellent player for us but I still think the club acted properly with all 9 of the out of contract players, including Forster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here