Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you wanted to try and take the outcome of the series to the 5th test.

But Panesar could benefit the team on a different level to Swann. Imagine his ideas of what to do with Trotts follow through.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Swann is very good at playing these cameo innings of 15-20 and hitting the odd six and a couple of boundaries, but we really need him to chip in with a 50-60 every now and again. Is this the moment?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Swann is very good at playing these cameo innings of 15-20 and hitting the odd six and a couple of boundaries, but we really need him to chip in with a 50-60 every now and again. Is this the moment?

Well done.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Nice.

214-9

Any helpful comments about Jimmy's prowess with the bat?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone want to buy 2 Day 3 and 2 day 4 tickets 2 nights accommodation in Durham and return train tickets. Offers over £680 accepted. Or just take them off me, please!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was tempted to type "Probably not" in my original post.

Gutted than Swann was c. Lyon b. Harris. If it had been b. Bird we would have had the full zoo set :(

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nobody can deny that Graeme Gooch has done a great job in coaching the England top and middle order, but I feel as though Swann and Broad are capable of so much more than they deliver.

Swann made 4 test fifties in his first year of test cricket, with 3 in consecutive tests against Australia / South Africa. However, since Dec 2009 he's only added one further half-century to his tally. I'd like to know the reason for this.

In his 13th test he was averaging 40, so a decent test No. 8. Since then he's averaged 18.5, so a pretty average test No. 9.

I don't know what he's doing now, but England could do with a bit of Freddie Flintoff's guidance in the batting department. Swann certainly batted better with him in the side.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play on Day 1.

England 238-9 (90 overs - 29 maidens)

Bresnan 12*(43 balls) Anderson 16*(10 balls)

Australia have had a GOOD day.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nobody can deny that Graeme Gooch has done a great job in coaching the England top and middle order, but I feel as though Swann and Broad are capable of so much more than they deliver.

Swann made 4 test fifties in his first year of test cricket, with 3 in consecutive tests against Australia / South Africa. However, since Dec 2009 he's only added one further half-century to his tally. I'd like to know the reason for this.

Isn't this what bowlers do though? Early on in their career or when their place is under threat they bat properly and then when they get comfortable they turn into sloggers. I remember thinking Gough & Cork were especially guilty of this.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not convinced about Root or Bairstow in this team - neither scoring big runs consistently. Root has only passed 20 twice, and Bairstow has passed 40 once so far. - there again no English batsman looks very secure.

If England are struggling against one of the worst Australian teams ever, how bad does that make them?

Australia could be 2 - 1 up now if they hadn't blown the first test and it hadn't rained at Manchester.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not convinced about Root or Bairstow in this team - neither scoring big runs consistently. Root has only passed 20 twice, and Bairstow has passed 40 once so far. - there again no English batsman looks very secure.

If England are struggling against one of the worst Australian teams ever, how bad does that make them?

Australia could be 2 - 1 up now if they hadn't blown the first test and it hadn't rained at Manchester.

If a young man like Root can make a ton in these circumstances then he is worth perservering with, all the more so with his useful spin. He could be invaluable on the sub-continent.

As for Bairstow, different story. There's a big case for dropping him in the final test and giving Taylor some experience of Ashes cricket before we go Down Under for the return series.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank god your not there all you do is moan and post shit we have WON the ashes and please don't post sorry mate in return

We haven't WON the ashes at all, we've RETAINED them so far - there is a difference.

brightonmark1234 is again absolutely spot on - that was woeful by England (although still a good days play for the punters).

There were no gremlins in that pitch, no jaffa's every over, we got out tickling one off our pads to leg, leaving one on our stumps, lobbing one up to mid on etc. etc. total absolute shite.

Started off negative, 1 run an over for the first 2 hours, completely set the tone and completely kept them in the match. Had we tried to score off the bad ball - and there were plenty, we'd have had them under scoreboard pressure. Even after lunch, we were 140-2 and lose 3 top order wickets for 6 runs - complete garbage. Only Cook's resembled a half decent wicket taking delivery, although playing the f*cking thing might have helped.

No, we haven't won the Ashes, in fact if it hadn't rained we'd be staring 2-2 in the face and possibly losing the Ashes in one of the biggest turn arounds in history. At this rate we're going to draw this series 2-2 and give them all the confidence they need for the winter. Absolute rubbish England.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If someone is crap then generally the other side is good and it makes for a pleasant days play in the sunshine.

I bet it was a great days viewing.

I'd have to agree there, it's not quite like football, nice weather, plenty of wickets and stuff to talk about, good days play, although I would be thoroughly bemused in how we've batted today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here