Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four more

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think it would be nigh on impossible for the club to sign a better fullback than Taricco who'll sit on the bench all season.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Can't agree with that.

But he HAS said that he wants another striker. Ridiculous though it seems.

One thing's for sure, Bloom and Poyet are taking this whole Championship business rather seriously.

I agree, but would not be surprised if this was not just more of the Gus magic .............remember last season when he said he was not sure if we had a 25 goal striker and those we had would have to prove themselves......fairly certain this was a major contributing factor to the Murray/BArnes tally...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think it would be nigh on impossible for the club to sign a better fullback than Taricco who'll sit on the bench all season.

who wants a bench warmer? we need someone to compete and play a good proportion of the games. relying on Taricco and Vincelot is a bit of gamble imo.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I personally agree that we need another striker if we're to truly aim high.

Hoskins + Barnes partnership isn't strong enough to me, if CMS goes through a dry spell or gets injured or suspended or even just if he needs competition. Having 4 good strikers is the wish of many-a-manager... not sure which type of striker he'll bring in though. My best bet would be a mature striker maybe in 30's who won't play every game but could come on and steady the ship.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We will NOT sign another full back so that discussion is realistically closed. I agree we need height and aggression but Garvan was far from being in that mould so Gus seems still to be focussed on pass and move. I am certain that the centre back and striker are well advanced and will come from the prem nearer the end of the window but I am not sure we have a definite target in mind as yet for a midfield general which is a surprise as it must be key to Gus' style of play.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
who wants a bench warmer? we need someone to compete and play a good proportion of the games. relying on Taricco and Vincelot is a bit of gamble imo.
Isn't that really what 'competition and cover' actually means? Back up? Vicenlot and Taricco are high quality backup, I think.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
A CB loan until January would suit me, as it gives a chance to assess El-Abd, Elphick and Dunk with cover in case they all fall short of expectations (I hope they don't though.)
A CM to compete with Dicker and Sparrow for the more attacking role in midfield, who could also play on the left or right, as both Sparrow and Dicker did at times last season, and made a good job of it.
A CM who can play the Bennett role in behind the forward(s) and make that one awesome pass to cut defences apart.
A CF who can also play out wide, as Barnes did on the left some of last season.

I have no idea about names, but this would seem to be the areas and qualities Gus & Co. would like to bring in.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sky Sports rumours have mentioned Neil Mellor as a possibility @ £300k - this is only a rumour with no substance to back it up though..
I know he has been mentioned before. IMO, last season yes.. this, not good enough.... would be a good squad member at best.

Please god no!

We'd have to ban him from the AMEX pie stalls for a start.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Robert Pires is still available on a free as is Reo Coker!

Might be free's mate....but can you imagine the wage demands? Especially Reo Coker, besides, wherever R.C. goes, he doesn't seem to settle, IMO.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Please not Mellor. Any professional who can put that much Terry on shouldn't be in the game.....& he's crap.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
We really are greedy bastards
I'm more than happy with the current squad
The addition of Lua Lua has completed the jigsaw as far as i'm concerned

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We really are greedy bastards
I'm more than happy with the current squad
The addition of Lua Lua has completed the jigsaw as far as i'm concerned

But clearly not as far as Gus is concerned ;)

I do think a loanee at centre back is likely. We have a good crop coming through but they will only develop if they are played.

My ideal striker is a good header of the ball - someone like Lambert but with experience higher up. Premiership players like Fuller or Roberts come to mind.

Midfield I would love someone like Lansbury but can't see it. - I think that is the problem position.

I wouldn't rule out Anderson from Forest as another winger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here