Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Four Two website comparing Brighton and Man United's protest

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Personally I think there is too much nasal gazing in that article and that it conveniently ignores the differences between their situation and ours in order to prove a point.

In my opinion, comparisons between BHA protests and Man Utd protests are ridiculous.

Isn't that just the point Richie's making - comparing the two situations, you find they have bugger all in common and that Man Utd fans are over-dramatising things?

Very good read, btw.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Personally I think there is too much nasal gazing in that article QUOTE]

Edit it again...NAVEL :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the article and the thread but couldnt help giggling at the above.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't that just the point Richie's making - comparing the two situations, you find they have bugger all in common and that Man Utd fans are over-dramatising things?

Very good read, btw.
I'm not really sure what point he's trying to make, crasher. On the one hand, Richie appears to be blaming the media (which I can well understand):

And there, I think, is my issue with Manchester United's protest. Large parts of the media have held it up as some sort of trailblazing campaign, the first mass football protest movement of its type.

It is no such thing. It is people happy to sing a few songs, buy a yellow and green scarf but not run the risk of missing a Rooney goal.

On the other hand, he seems to be suggesting their fans aren't doing enough:
It seems it is far easier to sing protest songs when your team is winning than send a bigger message by staying away altogether.

It's perfectly simple - their protest is happening because they don't like the fact that the current owners are lining their own pockets when they've contributed nothing to the club. Clearly, that issue is NOT going to invoke the same passions as when a wealthy businessman tries to tear your club apart to make a fast buck.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Really good read. I think you're spot on.
The way United fans have gone about this is pathetic. What do they even have to protest about? They've won everything over the last 3 seasons and they're still not happy.
They go on about all this long term future of the club rubbish; there is absolutely zero chance United would EVER have proper financial issues. They could keep afloat on shirt sales in Asia alone i'd imagine. The way the club has been marketed worldwide ensures the clubs future forever, so this pathetic little protest is just pointless.
As for the way they've executed it: "ooh let's buy scarves... and.. erm... sing songs...and watch the game and celebrate wildly when we win again, then we'll drive back to Guildford for a spiffing meal"
I'm sure Glazer is shitting himself :lolol:

1.png

do you think you'd be allowed in to Old Trafford wearing one of these?

It is an OFFICIAL product after all

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
What i love is how Man United fans try to play the victem. Sure, getting a chairman whose in it for money sucks, as we all know. But they're doing half arsed protests and its not like they're being served up shit week in week out.

Since Mendoza did it, my new blog is up too.

Link is in the signature.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The way United fans have gone about this is pathetic. What do they even have to protest about? They've won everything over the last 3 seasons and they're still not happy.
They go on about all this long term future of the club rubbish; there is absolutely zero chance United would EVER have proper financial issues. They could keep afloat on shirt sales in Asia alone i'd imagine. The way the club has been marketed worldwide ensures the clubs future forever, so this pathetic little protest is just pointless.
As for the way they've executed it: "ooh let's buy scarves... and.. erm... sing songs...and watch the game and celebrate wildly when we win again, then we'll drive back to Guildford for a spiffing meal"

I'm pretty sure they are protesting because all the money going into the club is going into the pockets of the glazers, they do have a right to be angry but the way they have gone about it is utterly pointless. If your going to protest then at least do it right. :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The way United fans have gone about this is pathetic. What do they even have to protest about?

How about this.

Since the Glazers took over 5 years ago, season ticket prices have gone up by an average of 50%. And on top of that, the Glazers have also introduced the Automatic Cup Scheme, which makes it a condition for ALL STH's to also purchase a ticket for all the Cup games as well. So in actual fact, you have NO IDEA how much your season ticket will end up costing you.

Get a series of home draws in the League Cup and FA Cup, and they'll be dipping into your bank account with alarming regularity to sting you for your ticket - whether you intended going or not. Dunno if this applies for Champions League mind, but I wouldn't be surprised. You can sell it on apparently, via a United approved dealer, but they get a 25% cut. Oh, and if you don't pay up for these Cup games, then they can cancel your season ticket.

United fans have filed a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading. I don't blame em.

Last edited:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That is very good Richie, well done.

I love the way all the comments beneath seem to come form bitter United fans who have totally ignored the message and are merely bleating on that it is a biased piece. The chap who claims "Before the Red Knight stories, things looked very bleak indeed" seriously needs to wake up. And then in further comedy gold another poster says "picking the one set [of fans] that contains perhaps the most active group of fans who are actually trying to do something seems unfair."

THE most active group of protesting fans?

Do me a lemon.

People like them do their club no favours, I am still waiting to meet a genuinely understanding Manchester through and through United fan and one who'll accept that whilst they might not be happy with the current ownership it's still a million miles away from there being any threat over the club's very existence.

A top read that puts some very ignorant people in their places.

Excellent

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
enjoyed that. nice one.

always good to see somebody putting the boot into united fans and their pathetic attempt at a protest.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Probably pissing himself,at the extra funds raised.Shirt sales,scarfs etc.more coffers to him.

Wait for the pitch invasions, chief exec having to be smuggled out of the ground in a security van or chased out of the Directors box, part of Old Trafford being closed and someone trying to set fire to Chief exec's House. Great scenes

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How about this.

Since the Glazers took over 5 years ago, season ticket prices have gone up by an average of 50%. And on top of that, the Glazers have also introduced the Automatic Cup Scheme, which makes it a condition for ALL STH's to also purchase a ticket for all the Cup games as well. So in actual fact, you have NO IDEA how much your season ticket will end up costing you.

Get a series of home draws in the League Cup and FA Cup, and they'll be dipping into your bank account with alarming regularity to sting you for your ticket - whether you intended going or not. Dunno if this applies for Champions League mind, but I wouldn't be surprised. You can sell it on apparently, via a United approved dealer, but they get a 25% cut. Oh, and if you don't pay up for these Cup games, then they can cancel your season ticket.

United fans have filed a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading. I don't blame em.

Well put Easy, and perhaps these are some of the points that other teams fans should be aware of and consider before they criticise United fans for their anger.

Feb 14, 2010
will they chase the directors out the ground and bring the goal posts down, or was that just Brighton who according to those not in the know, dont have a passionate support. Wearing a Norwich scarf... rock and roll I bet the Glazers are selling as we speak

J-Scott

Mar 9, 2009
Really liked the article, some very good points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here