Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Four Two magazine 'Perfect XI's' Brighton

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Keeley in goal for me. What about Dean Saunders ?

Crumplin was a real trier and after all the stick he got at the beggining became one of my favourite players.

Are we talking about players that were good at the albion for a sustained period of time ? If we are then people like Worthington, Corrigan, Mortimer dont count as they were at the back end of their careers.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Keeley or Roberts over Moseley or Beeny for me.

Roberts is a very good call, sadly a career cut short by injury so we never saw him at his best or reach his potential...strange that nobody has mentioned FDM!

Just agreeing over the goalie shows how fortunate we have been in that position down the years.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Definitely Johnny Keeley in goal for me. You have to fit Byrne in the strikers somewhere. I thought trying to get an all time top eleven would be easy, but it's a lot harder than I thought. As for Crumplin, he was cringe worthy at first, but became a favourite at the Goldstone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was going to say Saunders is a shoe-in, was brilliant wide right when he was with us. My team:

1. Moseley
2. Gregory
3. Stevens
4. Lawrenson
5. Foster
6. Horton
7. Saunders
8. Ward
9. Zamora
10.Case
11.Penney

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Moseley / Steele
Shanks Stevens Lawrenson Langley
Towner Curbishley Horton O'Sullivan
Ward Zamora

Subs: Digweed; Pates; Case; Templeman; Robinson (either!); Byrne..................ermm.....how many subs can we have?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Moseley

G Stevens
Foster
Lawro
Chappers

Penney
M Robinson
gotsmanov

Byrne
Small
zamora

Subs
Ward
Case
Nobby
Nelson
Keown

Can you advise whether you saw Ward play at is peak or if he is only in your squad based on reputation. TBH, I am struggling to see why anyone would put Byrne (and Small for that matter) ahead of Ward/Robinson unless they never saw those two actually play.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its a personal choice so no real right and wrong choices, my team would be.

1. Keeley
2. Calderon
3. Chapman
4. Horton (c)
5. Foster
6. Lawrenson
7. Gotsmanov
8. Ward
9. Zamora
10. Wilson
11. Nelson

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can you advise whether you saw Ward play at is peak or if he is only in your squad based on reputation. TBH, I am struggling to see why anyone would put Byrne (and Small for that matter) ahead of Ward/Robinson unless they never saw those two actually play.

He / she probably didn't see Ward play. Zamora? - yeh, he was great for us, but Ward was something else!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
GK Moseley - no
DF Chapman - no
DF Crumplin - got to be joking
DF Lawrenson - yes
DF Foster - yes
MF Curbishley - no
MF Case - possibly but who would win in a fight with Horton
MF Wilkins - maybe they have mixed Dean up with his elder brother, but I've clean forgotten who he played for - ludicrous
FW Zamora - yes
FW Ward - yes
FW Smith - no (not sure which one though)
Manager Poyet - no

agree or disagree??

Can't decide about the replacements - possibly Beeney, Gotsmanov, Stevens, Robinson, Horton, plus another defender

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Why no one has mentioned Hans Kraay is beyond me.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
On the Manager question, Mullery took over a team that was already on the up after Taylor had started that era in my opinion. I was only very young then so it may not be as I saw it. Poyet on the other hand took over a team that was failing, credit to Russ for making a few good buys but the team just wasn't cutting it so therefore I believe that Gus makes it in the Managers role although time will tell if he can take us all the way as Mullery did but I think it's going to happen because Tony Bloom will make sure it happens.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I wonder why so many people are picking Gotsmanov, who only played a handful of games for us, unless it is on reputation alone...maybe there could be an argument for including Keown, Dickov or McShane, who were all great in their time with us but they were never really ours.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If you're going to pick a tam like this then nearly every player should come from the 79-83 crop, who were the best teams we ever had. But that makes it a bit boring, best to spread it out and I actually think Morris has done a good job with his original pick.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009

Too young to see Wardy in the flesh...so only videos. My first early memories are from '82 onwards. But I remember loving Byrne and Small in '91 as a partnership.

totally forgot about Dean Saunders too....

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you're going to pick a tam like this then nearly every player should come from the 79-83 crop, who were the best teams we ever had. But that makes it a bit boring, best to spread it out and I actually think Morris has done a good job with his original pick.

Thanks. That is exactly what they wanted, the players spread out and not just all from the same era.

Was difficult, especially not having been around during the glory years.

Also, nice piece on the Albion Mosaic in this month's FourFourTwo complete with photo of EastLondonSeagull and his lad.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
f***ing hell why richie morris he cant even pick his nose let along the best ever albion xl

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here