Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Four Two magazine 'Perfect XI's' Brighton

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Brian Horton definately (never remember him missing a pen111), Gary Stevens would be in and would have John Keely in goal, Mose made too many mistakes although on his day he was a good shot stopper. Is there a case for Garry Nelson?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wilkins? Good grief. Even I know we've had better midfielders than him and the whole Case, Horton etc era passed me by.

Danny Wilson would be a better bet too. Plus, much as I loved JCFG...oh what the hell, I'll keep him in for character and cult status alone.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think about this a lot. Can't remember a player getting so much stick, and yet responding with better and better performances. It kind of makes a mockery of when people say "get off the players' backs". Crumps became a Goldstone legend. It would make a good Disney film.

I think the stick and the eventual adulation was in some way the same thing. He was awful to begin with and through sheer effort just become bad to average but won over most people because of his effort. This being at a time in our history there wasn't really much to get behind.

To put him and Chapman in our best team ahead of Sammy Nelson/Gary Stevens/Gary Williams/John Gregory/Don Shanks is laughable. All of them played at a much higher level and apart from Williams for teams of greater ability, not only for Brighton but for a lot better teams than us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
GK Mosely
DF Gary Stevens
DF Mark Lawrenson
DF Steve Foster
DF Sammy Nelson
MF Jimmy Case
MF Brian Horton (Capt)
MF Dennis Mortimer
FW Bobby Zamora
FW Peter Ward
FW Michael Robinson.

In the main, this.

Agreed. Gary Stevens and Johnny Byrne would also be on my list.

Would you seriously put Byrne above the likes of Ward, Robinson, Bobby Smith, Zamora and even Gary Nelson?

You obviously never saw Corrigan play. Moseley made mistakes, Corrigan didn't.

except he did.

take for instance his debut v Carlisle in 1983 when he came out to collect a high bouncing ball, misjusged the bounce and watched it bounce over him and into thenet.

We didn't call it a mistake then tho.

We called it something else entirely

the whole thing is a pile of pooh that completely ignoress the fact that there was football before 1977

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Think most have been mentioned here except perhaps Eric Steele? Brian Horton, Gary Stevens, Fred Binney, Michael Robinson, Paul Clarke, Alan Mullery would have to be manager, Steve Penney... and more, this debate could run into over 100 pages!

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Moseley

G Stevens
Foster
Lawro
Chappers

Penney
M Robinson
gotsmanov

Byrne
Small
zamora

Subs
Ward
Case
Nobby
Nelson
Keown

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think about this a lot. Can't remember a player getting so much stick, and yet responding with better and better performances..

Adam-El-Abd_2497774.jpg

Johnny Crumplin, Football Genius

When he first started playing for us, as a youngster on the right wing, he was so bad as to attract ridicule from the North Stand, amusement from the East Terrace and probably anger from the West Stand. He was one of those players that every club has from time to time, where you seriously wonder how they slipped through the net of school football and trials to become a professional. Passes were mis-hit, clearances were sliced into the stands and running was often followed by falling over. So the North Stand would sing Johnny Crumplin, football genius after one of his Charlie Chaplin moments.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

When he first started playing for us, as a youngster on the right wing, he was so bad as to attract ridicule from the North Stand, amusement from the East Terrace and probably anger from the West Stand. He was one of those players that every club has from time to time, where you seriously wonder how they slipped through the net of school football and trials to become a professional. Passes were mis-hit, clearances were sliced into the stands and running was often followed by falling over. So the North Stand would sing Johnny Crumplin, football genius after one of his Charlie Chaplin moments.

Yes, I know.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011

didn,t have much natural talent but tried his heart out

still makes me laugh thinking of that step over move he used to do

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Any one else still got their Johhny Crumplin shirt unfortunately mine doesn't fit anymore but then nothing from 1991 fits me anymore, he did became a legend after the two games against liverpool, but can't really put him in over others already mentioned

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Beeney over Moseley for me, think he was a better keeper, was gutted when he left us...although there were around four hundred thousand reasons to be greatful.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Steele

Stevens Lawro Fozzie Painter/Chapman

Case, Nobby, Tank

Zamora Ward Robbo / Byrne

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Beeney over Moseley for me, think he was a better keeper, was gutted when he left us...although there were around four hundred thousand reasons to be greatful.

Beeney is a good shout..... Beeney or Eric

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Think the whole thing is a can of worms. Have been a supporter for 50 years and would find it difficult to narrow it down, can't remember a lot of players ! Would be better having a timescale . Powney/Grummitt weren't bad

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I always thought Rust was a decent goalie. Nobby and Sully have to be in there, not sure about Byrne, Wardy and Bobby essential. Case at his best and JCFG for the comedy value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here