Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forget the playoffs now

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
He had one transitional season, but in that season we finished with a 14 game unbeaten run and started to play the sort of football that was to win us two championships. Wilkins has now been in the job for almost two whole seasons, and I still see no signs of us turning into a promotion winning side. The way we hung on for, and then celebrated, draws at Forest and Leeds was f***ing embarrassing, and today really showed up all our weaknesses. Micky Adams might not be perfect, but he would NOT have allowed the under-motivated, lazy, disinterested, and tactically pointless performance we have just watched to happen.

You seem to have totally changed your opinion re:Leeds and Forest simply because of today. Of course it is an awful result but to use it to run down results you'd previously seen as good is a bit stupid really.

Lazy and disinterested performances? Well I'm sure if you ask Leciester and Coventry fans, they will have plenty of examples.

He has gone now, and will never be the future solution. Never look back! Arguably both Taylor and Coppell had more tactical nous than Adams.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
We're four points from the play-offs, but we don't have a game in hand. This league is shit, and our squad is good enough in patches to be in the top 6 (not on today's performance admittedly), but we're hampered by his boring, mundane style of football. You've only got to listen to the bloke to realise he's dull and lacks a personality - is it really any surprise to learn he can't motivate the team to win matches when it matters?

Listen to someone..?

This one again. As we said last time it came up, Steve Coppell always sounded a mix between someone on the verge of heading to Brigdend or the most boring person in the world. Yet this didn't stop him being successful.

It is a British football disease we try and get these people who "have a personality". Dave Bassett, he's always making jokes on Sky with Chris Kamara, why not him? There is a reason the personality managers(these days anyway), are simply pundits...

They may have personalities but they lack any ability! Witty banter doesn't lead to success..

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I agree with what you say, but it's important to motivate and inspire a team. Steve Coppell, to be fair to him, clearly had something that motivated us in his time here. Going on the lack of interest in winning today's match, several other examples of turgid performances this season, and virtually all of last season, I just don't believe the players respond to Wilkins when it matters.

'Believe' being the operative word, because of course you have no idea about how good Wilkins is motivationally, do you?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
No, of course I don't, none of us do. The only ones who truly know are the players. I'm making my judgement based on the way a play-off chasing team managed to play like they had nothing to play for and were playing out a meaningless match. It really must have taken some incredible ineptitude to send out a team so unbelievably unprepared for such a vital match.

Are you saying we didn't try, as oppose to just being completely awful?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What is the point of Thomson....?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe the knee jerk reaction by a bunch of whingers. Yes it was a crap game from our point of view. Yes it was a crap result but we are still only 4 pts off the play-offs. If we had been playing like that all season then I would agree that Wilkins should go but fact is we haven't. Was only a couple of weeks ago that we beat Doncaster.

Take a reality pill, there are still 15 pts to play for and whilst we have made it harder for ourselves, the dream is still not over. Play like we did today and I agree, we won't make the top 6 but come on, that was not a typical performance.
Tuesday is the big game for us.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Absolutely. I will forgive an albion team anything if they put their bodies on the line, and show they're desperate to win the match from the start. This team isn't desperate to win matches though. We've got bottlers, we've got players who aren't good enough, and we've got players who, at the end of the day, just don't give a toss. If they really cared, they'd have thrown the kitchen sink at PV today, regardless of how poorly we were playing, but we just stood back and watched the worst team in the league play around us.

But if you're playing REALLY badly, how do you throw the kitchen sink at a team? And how do you expect our players to display this desperation to win? Run around like madmen for 60 minutes, but then die on their arses for the final half hour?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First home defeat in the league in 2008, and predictably its toys-out-the-pram time.

:rolleyes:

Yes we were piss-poor. It happens. We're a 3rd division team on the fringe of the Playoffs. We havn't got the consistency to be any more than that, and I wasn't expecting anything better than mid-table this season. The fact we're still in the hunt for a top 6 place with 5 games to go is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Bad performance, bad result, but christ get a grip. We've made EXCELLENT progress this season under Wilkins overall, and if we don't quite make it into the Playoffs this year, only an IDIOT would be calling for sackings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoobs`Seagull View Post
Why are you blaming Mayo?

On Soccer Saturday they said it was his fault for their first goal

It was scored on Whing's side of the pitch, so it's strange that they blame Mayo!

The second went right through the middle, Elphick's patch, and they generally got a lot of change out of attacking down the left (our right).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here