Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest Appoint McLaren

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is more to this than meets the eye. Would he really have let Earnshaw go without the promise of suffcient funds to replace him? He nearly walked out a month ago because of this.

Not saying he is a genius but you can't polish a turd.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and of course the chairman has quit as well, at the same time!

Didn't get the funds he was promised, or assumed he was getting at the beginning of the season........

So methinks, more to this than meets the eye. Sounds like a big internal power struggle going on.
Bit like Gus jumping and Tony Bloom following him over the side.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I wonder which of the long list of failed managers that they will go for next Paul Ince possibly?

errrr David Pleat anyone??????

From the League Managers Association website

29 Sep 2011
LMA STATEMENT REGARDING DAVID PLEAT
David Pleat has stepped down from his role as part time consultant of Nottingham Forest and is pleased to have been offered a position as Associate Director, which he is considering.

David has enjoyed a happy and successful association with Nottingham Forest during which time the Club has achieved one promotion and three play-off positions over a five year period.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Steve McClaren has done a FANTASTIC job at taking smaller clubs and making them reach a goal. That is EXACTLY what Forest want from him.

He guided the unfashionable FC Twente to a league title which they had NO RIGHT to even be considered for. He also turned Boro into European finalists and Carling Cup winners. Look at the mess they are in now compared to when he was in charge.

Yes he failed with England. Wrong man at the wrong time.
Wolfsburg was also too big for him and a team in transition wanting instant success.

Im going LARGE on forest up. If any forest fans complain at this appointment then they are clueless beyond belief. They have massively punched above their weight here.

Whoopsie

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good appointment in my opinion. McLaren is a decent manager if you mange to see past the umbrella and the crazy dutch accent. They will be one of the favourites next season.

would that be the same Steve McLaren that won the Dutch league with FC Twente? not an appointment i'm laughing about.

... and until now had never managed a club outside of the top division (in any country) and took himself off to Europe to broaden his education and experience?

He's a good club manager. Forest have done well.

To be fair McLaren is a decent Manager, if he'd not picked a rookie Goalie in the Croatia match, we'd have qualified and probably wouldnt be stuck with Capello. Overall his record is far better than Billy Davies, so Forest have improved themselves with this move.

There are managers with various titles, european cups etc. that have made an utter hash of our national team. Doesn't make them a bad manager at club level though. I agree, with others, good appointment for Forest.

Steve McClaren has done a FANTASTIC job at taking smaller clubs and making them reach a goal. That is EXACTLY what Forest want from him.

He guided the unfashionable FC Twente to a league title which they had NO RIGHT to even be considered for. He also turned Boro into European finalists and Carling Cup winners. Look at the mess they are in now compared to when he was in charge.

Yes he failed with England. Wrong man at the wrong time.
Wolfsburg was also too big for him and a team in transition wanting instant success.

Im going LARGE on forest up. If any forest fans complain at this appointment then they are clueless beyond belief. They have massively punched above their weight here.

Yep, good appointment in my eyes too.

This once again highlights how difficult it will be in the championship next year. Good appointment, I can see them really challenging next year now...

Very good appointment. OP said would give us a couple of points next season. Think I'd take 2 points from 2 games against Forest currently as they'll be up and around it.

McLaren is a forward thinking innovative coach who will be a huge success at Forest. He's gone abroad won a major league, and bought back plenty of coaching ideas and management techniques that will serve him well. I think a few EPL clubs will rue missing out on him.

I think Forest would have been one of the favourites prior to appointing McLaren this has just strengthened their position and if we finish above them we will at least make the play offs, possibly even get automatic promotion.

What a great thread bounce!

For my part, I think more has gone one Forest than meets the eye, but my own comments among others made be chuckle.:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here