Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest Appoint McLaren

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So you deliberately choose to overlook his successes? Why is that? Because he was hopeless with your precious England side - a side which can't succeed even with some of Europe's best managers at the helm...?

Oh, and by the way, you said it yourself - UEFA FINAL.

It wouldn't of mattered to me if he had failed with any national side, at the end of the day he failed....miserably. Didn't even qualify for the euro finals. That is not very good in my opinion. Whilst I aknowledge he took Boro to a European final, It's a bit of a poor competition in all honesty, though I expect you to tell me otherwise. On their journey they faced some stiff opposition it must be said, the likes of Skoda Xanthi, Litex Lovech, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Grasshoppers. Okay they did play some recognised teams in the knockouts and scraped through over 2 legs but when it came down to a final against a proper team they got completely humped. Yes he did well at FC Twente, very well infact but then made a shambles of Wolfsburg winning 5 games in 21 matches in charge. That Wolfsburh team was full of talent?! I'm sure he'll do an okay job at Forest but I don't think people should get carried away believing him to be better tahn he is.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
That Wolfsburh team was full of talent?! I'm sure he'll do an okay job at Forest but I don't think people should get carried away believing him to be better tahn he is.

having seen them twice last season, i can safely say that wolfsburg team was NOT full of talent

it was a team in transition having punched above their weight to win the league a couple of years earlier. mcclaren was always going to lost dzeko and he had a considerable rebuilding job to do - something that cant be done in one season. of course, the difference is that in england when a top four team needs to be rebuilt the league is so skewed in terms of quality that they will still be a top ten side, like liverpool. in germany, anybody can beat anybody so if you need to rebuild the fall from top to bottom is that much greater

taking middlesbrough to the uefa cup final would be like poyet taking us there in terms of club size - so i presume that if he did that then it won't be very much of an acheivement at all?

people who think that just because he didnt get england to the euros (in a group where the two teams that did qualify made the quarters and semis - something that england probably would not have done) he is a bad manager. but the fact that fergusson rates him as one of the best coaches he has had when you think of the quality he has employed down the years, he performed miracles at middlesbrough (his ONLY club job before taking the england gig) and beat all three of hollands giants on the route to winning fc twente a first league title suggest that he is actually rather good

expect forest to challenge strongly this year

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very good appointment. OP said would give us a couple of points next season. Think I'd take 2 points from 2 games against Forest currently as they'll be up and around it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Okay, I see I am the minority on this one so will leave it at that. I'm still not totally sold on the chap, neither are a few Forest folk I know but I guess time will tell.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Failing to be successful with an England side, a team FULL of perennial under achievers, which the greatest of managers have all failed to do something with, should not be given much weight in terms of assessing how good a manager is or is not.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
McLaren is a forward thinking innovative coach who will be a huge success at Forest. He's gone abroad won a major league, and bought back plenty of coaching ideas and management techniques that will serve him well. I think a few EPL clubs will rue missing out on him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
'Not sold?' You said 'underlying hatred' (without saying why).

Still, let your prejudice lead you through...

Well I went for 'not sold' because I was trying to cool this one off as their is no point writing opinions when everyone is waiting to disagree, kind of a pointless task. I can't stand the man because I think he is totally inept, during his England spell he got so many things wrong be it selections or with tactics, I never really liked him at Boro for no particular reason but the as I said earlier, he could of done just as badly with any National team and I would still think he was poor. It's quite simple really, I don't like him, you do. fair enough.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well I went for 'not sold' because I was trying to cool this one off as their is no point writing opinions when everyone is waiting to disagree, kind of a pointless task. I can't stand the man because I think he is totally inept, during his England spell he got so many things wrong be it selections or with tactics, I never really liked him at Boro for no particular reason but the as I said earlier, he could of done just as badly with any National team and I would still think he was poor. It's quite simple really, I don't like him, you do. fair enough.

It's not a case of whether I like him or not.

We know he was shite with England; but he is clearly not totally inept. It's the case that you are deliberately choosing to ignore his successes, thereby making your opinion largely meaningless.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
35000 watching the big screen in this town centre worship him like we do Gus.

last game of season 1 point ahead of Ajax (double FC twente's budget) they needed away win at Breda to lift dutch title. they won

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has he lost his Dutch accent or has he got a German one these days?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's not a case of whether I like him or not.

We know he was shite with England; but he is clearly not totally inept. It's the case that you are deliberately choosing to ignore his successes, thereby making your opinion largely meaningless.

DarrenFreemansPerm, I think TLO just owned you there to be fair.

By the way, what did you mean by "didn't like him at Middlesborough" ? Did you support them? Did you see any of their games? I think it's more likely that you haven't forgiven him for failing to qualify for the Euros as England Manager. I was at the Croatia match, and was as gutted as everyone else, and if you'd asked me after the match, I'd have agreed with you, the difference is, I got over it.

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Managing a National team is much different from managing a Club. For Forest this is a brilliant appointment. A top flight manager managing a second tier club, who are already good? Next season will be tough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I don't think people should get carried away believing him to be better tahn he is.

likewise i dont think people should get carried away believing he is worse than he is. at worst his record shows him to be inconsistant, if he follows his form, good, bad, good, bad, then Forest have made a very good choice.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
DarrenFreemansPerm, I think TLO just owned you there to be fair.

By the way, what did you mean by "didn't like him at Middlesborough" ? Did you support them? Did you see any of their games? I think it's more likely that you haven't forgiven him for failing to qualify for the Euros as England Manager. I was at the Croatia match, and was as gutted as everyone else, and if you'd asked me after the match, I'd have agreed with you, the difference is, I got over it.

I'll be honest here, TLO has put me in my place and here I shall stay, but if I can just say, I did watch Boro games (not a Boro fan) and didn't rate them, I was surprised when McLaren was put in charge of England. I would say I was perhaps a touch hasty when I said I have an underlying hatred for him :lol:, that was a bit far!

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
This makes next season even more difficult. Reasonably competitive group of players with a better manager/coach. And from what I understand a proper manager in that he looks to build a club not just a team. Apparently didnt get on with Hoeness the Wolfsburg chief.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cannot take the guy seriously. His career has been hit and miss, I don't think he'll make a big impact at Notts based on what has gone before.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
........................................... but if I can just say, I did watch Boro games (not a Boro fan) and didn't rate them, I was surprised when McLaren was put in charge of England. I would say I was perhaps a touch hasty when I said I have an underlying hatred for him :lol:, that was a bit far!

Can say fairer than that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here