Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest Appoint McLaren

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good appointment in my opinion. McLaren is a decent manager if you mange to see past the umbrella and the crazy dutch accent. They will be one of the favourites next season.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would that be the same Steve McLaren that won the Dutch league with FC Twente? not an appointment i'm laughing about.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes , the same Steve McLaren that made a complete and utter hash of our national team

What the former Man U number 2 Fergie lauded as his best coach, and who took unfashionable middlesborough to uefa final and unfashionable minnows FC twente to first and only dutch title.

crap league manager?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What the former Man U number 2 Fergie lauded as his best coach, and who took unfashionable middlesborough to uefa final and unfashionable minnows FC twente to first and only dutch title.

crap league manager?

Are we just going to overlook how shite he did at Wolfsburg then?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

crap league manager?
... and until now had never managed a club outside of the top division (in any country) and took himself off to Europe to broaden his education and experience?

He's a good club manager. Forest have done well.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
To be fair McLaren is a decent Manager, if he'd not picked a rookie Goalie in the Croatia match, we'd have qualified and probably wouldnt be stuck with Capello. Overall his record is far better than Billy Davies, so Forest have improved themselves with this move.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
... and until now had never managed a club outside of the top division (in any country) and took himself off to Europe to broaden his education and experience?.

You could look at it like that, or that he had to go abroad because he had cock all chance of a job in this country

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You could look at it like that, or that he had to go abroad because he had cock all chance of a job in this country
I think it was probably best for all concerned that he went abroad, although, yes, I don't think any group of English fans would have been pleased if he'd rolled up at their club.

However it's all about opinions. Feel free to bump this thread next March and gloat if Forest are in the relegation places!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
McLaren/Hoddle - The combo of my dreams :laugh:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think it was probably best for all concerned that he went abroad, although, yes, I don't think any group of English fans would have been pleased if he'd rolled up at their club.

However it's all about opinions. Feel free to bump this thread next March and gloat if Forest are in the relegation places!

Ha ha, no way. I fully appreciate he will now succeed. I just have real underlying hatred for the man, I can see why a lot of you rate him but all I see are his failures with Wolfsburg, England and that almighty bumming M'boro took in the Uefa Final.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes , the same Steve McLaren that made a complete and utter hash of our national team

There are managers with various titles, european cups etc. that have made an utter hash of our national team. Doesn't make them a bad manager at club level though. I agree, with others, good appointment for Forest.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Steve McClaren has done a FANTASTIC job at taking smaller clubs and making them reach a goal. That is EXACTLY what Forest want from him.

He guided the unfashionable FC Twente to a league title which they had NO RIGHT to even be considered for. He also turned Boro into European finalists and Carling Cup winners. Look at the mess they are in now compared to when he was in charge.

Yes he failed with England. Wrong man at the wrong time.
Wolfsburg was also too big for him and a team in transition wanting instant success.

Im going LARGE on forest up. If any forest fans complain at this appointment then they are clueless beyond belief. They have massively punched above their weight here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ha ha, no way. I fully appreciate he will now succeed. I just have real underlying hatred for the man, I can see why a lot of you rate him but all I see are his failures with Wolfsburg, England and that almighty bumming M'boro took in the Uefa Final.

So you deliberately choose to overlook his successes? Why is that? Because he was hopeless with your precious England side - a side which can't succeed even with some of Europe's best managers at the helm...?

Oh, and by the way, you said it yourself - UEFA FINAL.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
'Fraid I see McLaren as a risky choice. If it goes well - it goes really well. But the opposite could also happen imho.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This once again highlights how difficult it will be in the championship next year. Good appointment, I can see them really challenging next year now...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here