Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign Cinema - Favourite film

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My favourite foreign film of all time would probably be Malena. But there are a fair few coming close.

City of Gods; Y tu mama tambien; Manon de Source

But Malena wins it. If you haven't seen it. See it!

Obviously it varies, but new foreign cinema seems so much more satisfying than a lot of the tripe America churns out.

The film you pick, must be principally in a different language

malena-poster01.jpg

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Run Lola Run.
Quality. Shame there were no gratuitous bap shots though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Easy 10 said:
Run Lola Run.
Quality. Shame there were no gratuitous bap shots though.

Yet to see that. I will assume you know what you are talking about, being a sensible chap and watch it.

Delicatessen is also a very good French film. Very bizarre, but good.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The last thing i can remember enjoying was Old Boy. Brilliant and vicious. I like things not making utter sense like all we Westerners sell.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Grendel said:
Brilliant film. The original Jap version of The Ring pisses all over the yank remakes, too.

I agree.

Although actually I haven't seen the American Versions. Just from what I have read.

The Ring trilogy are fascinating films. Yoichi!!

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought Battle Royale was laughably bad. Takeshi Kitano's largest error so far (if you don't include his health catastrophe).

I got Battle Royale 2 free the other week. I am scared to enjoy it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What was that Italian film - Its a Beautiful Life or something or other...that was a really good chick flick!!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
les quatre cent coups is fantastic, as are plein soleil (remade as the talented mister ripley), a bout de souffle, jean de florette and appartement.

greatest of all though must be heimat, a 70-odd hour long masterpiece fby edgar reitz which we finished last night after months of entertainment.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Of the German films, you can't really argus with M, Metropolis, Das Boot, Downfall, Goodbye Lenin, Stalingrad. Internationally-high standards.

But one of my favourite films of all time is the Danish film Festen. Perfect in every single way.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BarrelofFun said:
Obviously it varies, but new foreign cinema seems so much more satisfying than a lot of the tripe America churns out.

You've got me worried - while I was away, did Tony and George W finally consummate the relationship so we've become state number 51? :eek:

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Bicycle Thieves (1948) and Parapluies de Cherbourg (1964) were two I enjoyed when I was younger. Battleship Potemkin (1925) was impressive for the time it was produced. Someone mentioned Delicatessen (1991) which was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, but I've also got a soft-spot for Amelie (2001) which he also directed.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Outside of Sussex they're all foreign. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here