• No - we were stitched up AGAIN

Votes: 13 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The guy we should be criticising is Brezovan. Why did he throw the ball out ? He should have booted it up field. His crap throw put Virgs in an almost impossible position. Very unfortunate, as he had a storming game up til then

Admittedly, I wasn't at the game but have seen it on TV several times and Virgo was not in an impossible position. The ball was stupidly thrown out but the leeds player collecting was heading straight for Virgo and all he needed to do was keep on his feet.

Let's get some perspective guys! The tackle wasn't a "leg breaker" it was a very badly timed and clumsy tackle from Virgo, after being put under pressure by a hasty throw out. There was no intended malice, and I thought the red was harsh at the time, even having seen it, and it looks worse on TV, I still felt it was perhaps a little harsh on Virgs. I can see why the ref has sent him off - but I think a yellow card was a more appropriate course of action (which was what I said at the time). I am sure the incident with Gradel a minute earlier, and the reaction of the Leeds players did not help Adam's case (Kisnorbo had his hands on Virgs before the red card was out). An appeal is a waste of time, as the foul was committed, and it is then down to the referee's interpretation as to whether it is serious foul play.

I think you need to watch it a few more times.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spot on from somebody who sounds as if he was at the game.
Was it just me but should Kisnorbo have been red carded? I thought so at the time and the tv seems to justify it.

Kisnorbo thought he was Norman Hunter yesterday , conceding 4 or 5 free kicks plus another 3 fouls that the ref ignored. I thought at the time the reason he wasn't shown at least a yellow card was because he had been earlier cautioned but that was Hughes. Beckford should have been shown a yellow as well for provocation.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Typically, decisons like this never seem to go our way! :(

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Let's get some perspective guys! The tackle wasn't a "leg breaker" it was a very badly timed and clumsy tackle from Virgo, after being put under pressure by a hasty throw out. There was no intended malice, and I thought the red was harsh at the time, even having seen it, and it looks worse on TV, I still felt it was perhaps a little harsh on Virgs. I can see why the ref has sent him off - but I think a yellow card was a more appropriate course of action (which was what I said at the time). I am sure the incident with Gradel a minute earlier, and the reaction of the Leeds players did not help Adam's case (Kisnorbo had his hands on Virgs before the red card was out). An appeal is a waste of time, as the foul was committed, and it is then down to the referee's interpretation as to whether it is serious foul play.

I agree with this. At the time it just looked clumsy - and on the replay it looks Virgo is trying to to pull his leg back at the last having committed himself. The reaction was completely over the top. A yellow card would have been correct - but I can see why he gave a red. That and the fact the ref was a homer.

It was such a stupid throw-out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry Paul, but if Virgo had made contact he would have ended their player's career.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
He's done it too many times this season - he's been lucky to stay on the pitch for most of them. Malicious or not, you don't fly in with tackles like that.

Don't get me wrong, I think Adam is a key player for us and a good player at that, but you can't go in like he did. The referee had no choice.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No. Yellow

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Is probably a red card but I've seen yellows given for worse.

I loved Murray's celebration though, Nicky Forster esque in it's provaction of the home fans.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sorry Paul, but if Virgo had made contact he would have ended their player's career.

That only happens when the player has a foot planted on the ground. To me it looked like he was already taking avoiding action and was in the air. And - it did look like Virgo was actually pulling his leg back by the time contact was made.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That only happens when the player has a foot planted on the ground. To me it looked like he was already taking avoiding action and was in the air. And - it did look like Virgo was actually pulling his leg back by the time contact was made.
I'd agree, but it was a stupid tackle to make in the first place and once it was made, the damage was done. You can't go in for a challenge like that "just in case" you win it, which is what Virgo seemed to do.

I'd agree that the goalkeeper has a lot to answer for there though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Brezovan fell on the ball, held onto it for as long as he could, gave his team a chance to push up. Then kicked it down the field, and a leeds player took possession and Virgo lunged in, would you still be blaming Brezovan for it?

It is really quite ridiculous to blame the keeper's throw for Virgo's rash challenge. Nothing about situation resulting from the throw required Virgo to stretch or lunge in the way he did.

It is really quite ridiculous to blame the keeper's throw for Virgo's rash challenge. Nothing about situation resulting from the throw required Virgo to stretch or lunge in the way he did.

Except Virgo giving 110% for the cause and trying to retrieve a bad situation (from a very poor and un-needed) throw out. He didn't want the team to concede possession in that situation and whilst he made an unwise challenge - it was understandable and harshly penalised with a red that was not necessary.

The point is we are going to miss him and so have lost out all round.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Except Virgo giving 110% for the cause and trying to retrieve a bad situation (from a very poor and un-needed) throw out. He didn't want the team to concede possession in that situation and whilst he made an unwise challenge - it was understandable and harshly penalised with a red that was not necessary.

The point is we are going to miss him and so have lost out all round.

Many of us say the red was not harsh. The challenge wasn't just unwise, it was unnecessary. The guy was coming towards him as he collected the ball, it was a fair distance away from goal. There was no threat, it wasn't a particularly bad situation, certainly no worse than the other parts of the game when Leeds had the ball a fair distance from goal and we had 11 men on the pitch.

It seems even more ridiculous to not only criticise Brezovan for the red card, but to try to justify Virgo's actions at the same time as criticising Brezovan just seems wrong.

It's starting to make me sick the way people are blaming brezovan for Adam Virgo's completely unneeded actions, and are refusing to hold Virgo accountable or try to justify his actions and blame them on Brezovan, and I'm not even all that big a fan of Brezovan (beyond thinking more of him as a challenger/back up for Kuipers than all bar roberts and sullivan), but the hate people show him is mostly unwarranted. Including blaming him for Virgo's actions here.

But I'm getting tired of this discussion now. I've made my opinion clear, if people are determined to put the blame where it doesn't belong so be it.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I can't argue with the red card, it looked awful and the player could really have been hurt.

However, I am convinced it wasn't a malicious tackle. I think Virgo was trying to stop the player getting past by sliding and blocking the pass. It was something of a last gasp lunge but had he blocked the pass it would have been a great block. Once he missed the ball his momentum took him into the player and it was certain to get him some sort of card.

Mistimed and misjudged, but not malicious in my view (bit like Gazza tackle 1990 in that sense).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just saw it on Meridian, straight Red although the leeds chap did make a meal of it!

Murrays celebration was class too!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is the same insider that said Hoyte didnt deserve to get sent off against Wycombe for BLATANTLY kicking out at a player....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here