Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those on here who slate the Premier League

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it would be amusing to watch a large percentage of our fans suddenly stop calling it the Premiershit.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Would love to be a boring mid table team in the premier league tbh, that chase for europe or that mix with relegation, not a single team in the prem is a boring mid table team, you're always either vying for 7th and a euro spot on the off chance, or a big cup appearance, or a relegation battle.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Times have changed from the 80's.

Stadiums have got better and travel has got easier.

Look how many we take to Carlisle for a 3rd tier game, Im sure we would take more to Newcastle or Sunderland in the Prem.
I agree about the stadiums, and also live football has a far broader appeal now than it did in the 1980s when crowds at games were largely white, male and working class.

You're wrong about the travel though, it was MUCH easier. Firstly the club used to run charter trains (the famous 'Seagull Specialls'). These used to run direct from Brighton to wherever we were playing - no need to go to London and change. It was a social club on wheels as those lucky enough to remember them will testify. They were also subsidised so that a ticket to Newcastle or Sunderland was about £4. And if you wanted to go by car petrol was much cheaper in real terms than it is today and there was never a problem with parking.

And we used to take massive numbers away. The reason the figures dropped down to below a hundred (and resulted in the cancelling of the charter trains) was because we used to lose. Fans always want to see a winning team regardless of the division and the bottom line is Brighton fans much preferred to watch us beat the likes of Walsall and Chester as opposed to watching us lose to the likes of Everton and Birmingham. This was especially true once the novelty of being in the top division had worn off - which took about two months.

But yeah, I'd love us to be in the Prem. Hopefully modern Brighton fans won't be as fickle as they were in the 1980s. (I think that might be a vain hope but we'll have to wait and see!)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Would love to be a boring mid table team in the premier league tbh, that chase for europe or that mix with relegation, not a single team in the prem is a boring mid table team, you're always either vying for 7th and a euro spot on the off chance, or a big cup appearance, or a relegation battle.

But the 'chase for Europe' thing is a complete red herring. It sounds like a nice idea, but most teams make a fuss about getting in 7th and then play their reserve teams in the Europa League, and their stadiums are only half full for the home games. In reality every team apart from the top 5 plus Liverpool begin the season fighting relegation, I just find those aims a little dull. I suppose one good thing would be the fact that being a Premiership club gives you a much better chance in the cups, which would inject a bit of excitement, but again it seems like FA cup games hardly attract the crowds anymore.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What I would like is for the bubble to burst in the Premiership, sky's money to come back to reality. The clubs that have overspent to take an almighty dip in their fortunes and the league's big guns to lose their massive tokenistic backers. Then and only then if we reach the Premiership will we be able to properly compete on a level playing field added to which we would be better placed to preform our own rise to the top emulating the likes of Nott's Forest and Ipswich of yesteryear.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What I would like is for the bubble to burst in the Premiership, sky's money to come back to reality. The clubs that have overspent to take an almighty dip in their fortunes and the league's big guns to lose their massive tokenistic backers. Then and only then if we reach the Premiership will we be able to properly compete on a level playing field added to which we would be better placed to preform our own rise to the top emulating the likes of Nott's Forest and Ipswich of yesteryear.

Totally agree. I've only just come to this thread, and was going to say something similar. I'd love it for the current Premiership to implode in the next year or so, and take it back to something nearer the old Div 1, with reduced wages, less TV coverage and a much more competitive league. And if a few of the so called big clubs could catch a financial cold and suffer because of it, so much the better.

It's possible, but probably not likely...

But, as many have pointed out - we may be doing well now, and have a nice new stadium to come, but there are plenty of teams in the Championship who are on a par with what we may become, so getting to the Premiership isn't going to be easy.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I want us to be as good as possible, I'd love for us to be in the Premier League.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Part of me will be fecked off if we do get there - ridiculously over priced etc and going into a lot of games knowing we'll probably lose. On the other hand it will be nice to ram it down the plastics faces.

And how many of the team will come from Sussex eh? Let alone England.:glare:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I agree about the stadiums, and also live football has a far broader appeal now than it did in the 1980s when crowds at games were largely white, male and working class.

You're wrong about the travel though, it was MUCH easier. Firstly the club used to run charter trains (the famous 'Seagull Specialls'). These used to run direct from Brighton to wherever we were playing - no need to go to London and change. It was a social club on wheels as those lucky enough to remember them will testify. They were also subsidised so that a ticket to Newcastle or Sunderland was about £4. And if you wanted to go by car petrol was much cheaper in real terms than it is today and there was never a problem with parking.

And we used to take massive numbers away. The reason the figures dropped down to below a hundred (and resulted in the cancelling of the charter trains) was because we used to lose.

Those specials wil never happen now because the whole rolling stock of our privatised railways has shifted from loco-hauled carriages, which could be pulled anywhere, and augmented if necessary depending on demand, to integrated electric or diesel multiple-units, often only available to one region or network because of handling differences.

There are very few old loco-hauled carriages left, many heritage (i.e old slamdoor). Their owners won't want to let football fans loose on them sadly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I've said before, I'd like us to be like West Brom (but without the idiotic recent sacking).

They're a well run club who stay within their means, play good football, and yo-yo between the Championship and the Prem. Sometimes they're good enough to stay up, sometimes they're not, but they are usually too good for the Championship. Never a dull season being a Baggie. I'd love it if we could emulate that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've never really understood why this should be the case. The top division of English foorball existed long before the Premiership. As a club, we aim to be as successful as possible within the English football pyramid, that doesn't also mean we have to appreciate the changes to the modern game that have come about through the instigation of the Premiership.

But I'm not sure if I'd ever really want to be in the Premiership too long. Mainly because of the ticket prices but also because it strikes me that flirting with several divisions is a lot more exciting than constantly finishing mid table with no chance of ever improving n your current position. Plus, the bigger clubs often encourage a higher proportion of twattish fans, and much as it will be nice to watch Brighton in big stadiums like St. James Park, Emirates, Old Trafford etc., I'm also not convinced that it atually creates a better football experience than some of our days out to clubs which people might seem to hate!

Once you have experienced top tier football, the lower leagues just do not seem entertaining any more. Except matches against Stoke can be boring whatever division.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As I've said before, I'd like us to be like West Brom (but without the idiotic recent sacking).

They're a well run club who stay within their means, play good football, and yo-yo between the Championship and the Prem. Sometimes they're good enough to stay up, sometimes they're not, but they are usually too good for the Championship. Never a dull season being a Baggie. I'd love it if we could emulate that.

This would suit me.
The thing I wouldn't like about being in the EPL would be all the games not played at 3pm on a saturday.
Still, we are a long way away at the moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we were like West Brom then we would have to live in Birmingham!

Thats the beauty of it - a club like West Brom, but in a fabulous town in Sussex

(sorry, I've never quite bought into this "city status" malarky).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
However far we get I hope the club - to paraphrase Ali G - "keeps it real".

The whole Falmer journey, the Fan's Forum, even the interaction in recent weeks at the STH presentations has meant the communication between the fans and the board has remained close. My mate and fellow STH phoned me that after he was shown around the new stadium he had a full 10 mins with Martin Perry talking about Falmer and where the club's going. I can't see that happening at the likes of Chelsea or Man Utd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here