Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the old rave heads!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Trotster said:
I used to go to sterns when i was at school - still got my Lenny D and Kenny Ken tape! That was my first night at sterns so was well chuffed when i got it on tape!!!

Red and Blacks hey, completely forgotton about them!!

Trotster, any chance of a copy of that?? Is it the one with MC stompy don and Kenny Ken plays the trumpton song without the vocals except the bit that goes I feel the heat? One of my all time faves that my mate accidently recorded over!!!

My first Rave was Mantra at the Event closely followed by Camber Sands weekender and Dance 91 at the Brighton Centre. Sterns absolutely rocked it every week!

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
More like neary 20 years im afraid, it was 1987 the year i took my first pill and danced in a warehouse in East London.

I was not quite in at the start so i would guess the whole thing started maybe the year before which makes it 1986 which is 18 years ago, bloody hell.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
If anyones interested there is an old skool night (Spirtual Element) at the Concorde 2 next thursday featuring DJ's Sy and Slipmatt.

I might go along just for old times sake.

By the way that website is excellent I spent ages listening to some of the tracks on there the other day.

Brought back loads of memories

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Southy said:
Tonka Zap club every 1st Monday of the month, Rev then Chocci then Harvey 91- to about 93. Doctor Atomic parties, down the Savannah with Bobby Gillespie, red and blacks, doves, pink callies, I remember when the Frock and Jacket got busted. Tonka is still the best night Ive ever been to and there's been many...

Hmmm..This thread has been done before but still gets me misty-eyed as if i'd just done a double drop on a snowball......:eek:

First went to the ZAP in 87/88 when it was one sweaty tunnel and the first 'cheesy quavers' were hitting the scene with ripped jeans..
Later on Tonka was indeed the 'real' night out of the week and used to end with parties at Shoreham - Anyone remember the dancing Pantomine Horse on the shelter down there...?!

Fridays at the Escape had Sasha the man playing, Saturdays had Eric Powell doing RED at the Zap, and chuck in BIG BLACK COX/Use your Loaf doing Dom Gill's wake at Oriana's and your week was in Turbo drive..or Dennis the Menace's, or Lemon and Limes or CD's and/or 3g's of Berwick's finest...

Others nites to recall:

Sven Vath - 10- 5am at the Zap - With the air heavy with Amyl Nitrate (because of the bottles left discreetly open in the corner by his crew) he used to join us on the dance floor for the last record giving his collection away....Top Loon..!:thumbsup:

Club UK - Went there in a hired ambulance on one birthday.

MoS - before it had it's alcohol license (1991?) There used to be a coach from Brighton which combined watching 'The Word' live and then on to the MoS.

Hastings Pier with Northern Exposure..

Top Tunes from that Era (ish):
Usera - Open your Mind
Capella - You got to know (sorry, personal fav..)
The Snake - Opal

ahhh...thanks for the memory....(oh...i don't have a memory any more apparently....!) and glad to see some other from that time around too......
:p :smokin: :bounce:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
The Northstander said:
F*** STERNS YES!!! I ve just been saying in me head...st...s....sta.... s....

Cheers for that!!

Now that was a rocking old skool club!!
:flameboun

I only went to Sterns once (1992) but what a night that was!!

Lenny Dee (f***kin hard US dj - hard as in the music he played!!) was in the basement room, and walking/stumbling down the stairs was akin to being on the runway at Gatwick airport!! So hard, but was bolloxed on some very pokey base speed, so had a great evening!!

Remember well the Event for all the right reasons, not the kiddy cheese-fest it is now. All nighters, Mantra's, Passion's, doing my first pill in 1991 whilst gurning to Prodigy and Bizarre Inc, and then moving onto the Zap in 1992 and the seriously messed up 10pm - 8am shindigs!!!

Happy, happy days

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I was thinking the same.

I'll be at this if anyone's up in town early May

LashedukFlyer.jpg

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
The Wookiee said:
Does anybody remember hanging about outside Smugglers/The Cavern and buying your sweets for the evening?

Nope!!!

Always bought them before the event from a "reputable" source, far too risky buying them in a club

Or even at Haywards Heath college, which was (when I was there, 1990-92) a right hot bed of drug dealing, you could buy anything bar heroin and crack

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
that reminds me

acid house revivals Thursdays in the Zap in '91

cool flyers

the loon with a beach ball over his head with eyes cut out (who is now actually a high standing member of the community - a few thousand miles away however)

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
I used to flyer for Pandemonium from the Midlands. We used to cover some distance on a Friday\Saturday night.

I've been to Doncaster Warehouse and Helter Skelter in Milton Keynes a few times. The Eclipse in Coventry was f***ing awesome!! We flyered there a lot.

I saw Carl Cox do a set in The Eclipse in Coventry and then three and a half hours later do one in Lincoln. That's how much distance we covered, very messy mad days!!
It was mad but we got in for free, even though it was for half an hour or so in some places before moving on. We did the clubs first then went onto an all nighter last so that we could spend some time there until the end.
Can anyone remember Pandemonium at The Institute in Birmingham? That was thier last home before the scene went tits up due to these swanky garage/house clubs.
The actual club was owned by one of the Duran Duran members at the time but not any more. The bouncers (gang) there were f***ing crazy!! I've seen some crazy shit go down there with the bouncers.
Enough of the old days!
Have a look at this site for some old tapes.....

http://www.tapesgalore.co.uk/updates.htm

jimthegoat

Oct 9, 2003
I was at the house on the hill (sterns) at just about every all nighter in 91-92 , we had some laughs in the car park outside it in that field , one night we were all getting wasted in a mates dads car when we noticed the cars round us were moving and getting faster and faster til we hit and hedge and the bottom of the hill and realised it was us that was moving , laugh we nearly shat.

Went to all the Fantazia's in 92/93 , a 2 Perceptions , Dreamscapes at the sanctuary Milton keynes , Obsession

those were the days :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here