Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you students or clever buggers out there.

Lush

Mods' Pet
This thread got me thinking. I've had an interest in doing some 'extra-curricular' study for a while now. This thread has made the O.U sound pretty good but I'm not sure on the cost. I've had a quick look at the O.U website and all I can find is an example cost for a psychology undergrad course which comes to about 5 grand spread over a six year period. Is that about right for all courses? And can you do the course in a shorter time than six years? Or longer if need be?

It also makes me think that if it is 5grand for a degree then it should be something seriously considered by all the kids who are currently doing their a-levels and are worried about the prospective 6-9grand tuition fees that the govt are bringing in. Why spend 20grand on tuition fees alone when you can get the same qualification for five and are able to have a job-and thus gain valuable work experience- at the same time?

You basically need to do six courses of varying degrees of difficulty to get a degree. They cost between £600 - £800 each.

Most people do one course a year part-time, hence six years to get the degree at a cost of less than £5,000. Some people do two courses a year to try and get there in three years, but this represents pretty much a full-time commitment to study.

The costs are low compared to uni because there is very little face to face teaching, about 6 - 8 tutorials per course at a local-ish college building on an evening or Saturday morning. Tutors are often retired or part-time uni lecturers. The rest of the materials are simply posted to you.

You can get financial support too.

You have to be self-motivated and organised - although the OU do everything possible to support you - study timetables, online help etc. But then you should be motivated if you're studying something you love.

You don't get anything like the university experience, but then you don't have the distraction of that either.

Have a potter through here if you're interested.

Study at the OU - Degrees, Diplomas, Courses, Certificates and Qualifications - Open University

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here