Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you students or clever buggers out there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
do you read them through first and try to get the gist? Do you buy a translation book ( the web is full of them) and try to follow it that way? or do you try and translate word for word?

Go to the pub. Then mug the swotty little kid with the glasses and nick his essay.

And if you remember to cross out his name at the top and replace it with your own, then it might work better for you than it did for me... :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Have just finnish A200 Exploring history: medieval to modern 1400-1900 this year. Next Feb I will be studying AA312 Total war and social change: Europe 1914-1955.

Can't bloody wait! :clap2:

Sounds a lot like my History of Politics and International Relations modules I did at uni. V interesting!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Are you lot doing these courses part time in your own time or what? I'd really like to do some sort of literature course in my spare time.

In our own time.

It's really difficult to get the balance right. You HAVE to submit assignments on time otherwise they don't get marked and don't count towards the final assessment mark.

They reckon around 16 hours per week depending on the course. I found it easier to devote two whole days rather than a couple of hours at a time. I was self-employed at the time so this was slightly easier than it might have been.

The support you receive from The Open University is absolutely superb. Their website is amazing and they run residential schools, day schools and weekly tutorials, all of which can be really useful. The study material you get is also excellent.

It's a lot of money, but given what you get for this and the feeling of incredible satisfaction when you pass a course, it's money well spent.

Lush

Mods' Pet
In our own time.

It's really difficult to get the balance right. You HAVE to submit assignments on time otherwise they don't get marked and don't count towards the final assessment mark.

They reckon around 16 hours per week depending on the course. I found it easier to devote two whole days rather than a couple of hours at a time. I was self-employed at the time so this was slightly easier than it might have been.

The support you receive from The Open University is absolutely superb. Their website is amazing and they run residential schools, day schools and weekly tutorials, all of which can be really useful. The study material you get is also excellent.

It's a lot of money, but given what you get for this and the feeling of incredible satisfaction when you pass a course, it's money well spent.

Agree with all this. The online forums are good too. I've had to put my degree course to one side as I'm on a long term contract in London, but looking forward to picking it up again at a later date.

I think the courses are really good value. You get loads of help and the materials are great. There's lots of choice, so find a subject you love, and as long as you can keep on top of it, can spare 16 hours or so a week, and are disciplined enough to get essays in on time, you can fit in it round your lifestyle.

Hiney - I've done U211 Exploring the English language if you want any tips?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Isn't Faustus the one with "is this the face that launched a thousand ships" bit?

... and burned the topmost towers of Illium/Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss

I first saw Dr Faustus in Stratford in 1968 and the woman who played Helen was completely starkers - the first nude in the history of the RSC. Bit of a shock for an 11-year-old.

Listening to/seeing the play is much better than reading it, Dave. Particularly Faustus - which has a lot of Latin in it.

If you want to see it BTW, it's on at Shakespeare's Globe next year.

Here's a quick quiz question. "Why this is hell and nor am I out of it" (from Faustus) features in a well-known film, one that NSCers should recognise. Who knows what it is?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Here's a quick quiz question. "Why this is hell and nor am I out of it" (from Faustus) features in a well-known film, one that NSCers should recognise. Who knows what it is?

Is it that Adam Sandler film ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it the Ben Stiller one then ?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
No.

When I said NSCers should recognise, I don't mean because it's spectacularly famous but because NSCers, of all people, will know it.
Shakespeare In Love?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, no, no, no

Truffers is on the right track -except it's not about football. But supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion should be aware of this film.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This thread got me thinking. I've had an interest in doing some 'extra-curricular' study for a while now. This thread has made the O.U sound pretty good but I'm not sure on the cost. I've had a quick look at the O.U website and all I can find is an example cost for a psychology undergrad course which comes to about 5 grand spread over a six year period. Is that about right for all courses? And can you do the course in a shorter time than six years? Or longer if need be?

It also makes me think that if it is 5grand for a degree then it should be something seriously considered by all the kids who are currently doing their a-levels and are worried about the prospective 6-9grand tuition fees that the govt are bringing in. Why spend 20grand on tuition fees alone when you can get the same qualification for five and are able to have a job-and thus gain valuable work experience- at the same time?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It also makes me think that if it is 5grand for a degree then it should be something seriously considered by all the kids who are currently doing their a-levels and are worried about the prospective 6-9grand tuition fees that the govt are bringing in. Why spend 20grand on tuition fees alone when you can get the same qualification for five and are able to have a job-and thus gain valuable work experience- at the same time?

Good point. I was thinking this too - and whether the OU system could cope with thousands of kids suddenly applying to go on its courses.

Anyone done the OU Maths course BTW? That's the one I was looking to go on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here