Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you students or clever buggers out there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A bit of advice please.

When I was at school ( during the Boer war) I always had great difficulty reading shakespeare as I spent so much time trying to find out what his words actually meant, that I ended up just chucking the book down and went off playing with my pidgeons.

Anyway, I have bitten the bullet and resurected my OU career and have two set books that are written in a similar vein....Burial at Thebes and Dr Faustus. Now , when you studenty types read these books, do you read them through first and try to get the gist? Do you buy a translation book ( the web is full of them) and try to follow it that way? or do you try and translate word for word?

they are both in English, but Dr Faustus is very difficult to just pick up and read, let alone do a critique of it.

Any help would be mucho appreciatedo

Ta

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I always read through to get the gist, then go back and try and work out what the words mean on a second reading. It is a lot more work this way but you pick so much more up on the second go round.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
There's a good film version of Dr Faustus - 1967 - Richard Burton, Liz Taylor et al.

Might help you get in the groove.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There's a good film version of Dr Faustus - 1967 - Richard Burton, Liz Taylor et al.

Might help you get in the groove.

thanks I'll have a look

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What OU course are you doing by the way?

I personally read through to get the gist, note down any bits I don't understand fully and get back to them.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
A bit of advice please.

When I was at school ( during the Boer war) I always had great difficulty reading shakespeare as I spent so much time trying to find out what his words actually meant, that I ended up just chucking the book down and went off playing with my pidgeons.

Anyway, I have bitten the bullet and resurected my OU career and have two set books that are written in a similar vein....Burial at Thebes and Dr Faustus. Now , when you studenty types read these books, do you read them through first and try to get the gist? Do you buy a translation book ( the web is full of them) and try to follow it that way? or do you try and translate word for word?

they are both in English, but Dr Faustus is very difficult to just pick up and read, let alone do a critique of it.

Any help would be mucho appreciatedo

Ta

Your doing A100 right?

I was on this course last year.

Dr Faustus is a great book and I found it very useful to read along with the audio CD which came with all the stuff they OU send. It really helped me understand what was going on. If your starting the course in feb 2011 wait until they send the audio and then read along.

The worst part of the course for me was Madona and paitings. Although there is a section on seaside holidays which include putting on the who records!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Your doing A100 right?

I was on this course last year.

Dr Faustus is a great book and I found it very useful to read along with the audio CD which came with all the stuff they OU send. It really helped me understand what was going on. If your starting the course in feb 2011 wait until they send the audio and then read along.

The worst part of the course for me was Madona and paitings. Although there is a section on seaside holidays which include putting on the who records!

Yes that is the one AA100...Feb 2011.

Actually beigh a bit of an art buff, that bit I am looking forward to. I hope to do the Classics one next time at level 2 ( ancient Greece and Rome)

Ill wait for the CD...thanks

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I did that course last year as well.

Really enjoyed it, especially the 'history of the seaside bit'. I wrote the final essay all about growing up in Bognor Regis!!

I'll echo what St0082 said - the audio stuff on Faustus is brilliant.

What you doing this year Stoo? I'm on 'Exploring the English Language', starting in Feb.

Maybe we should have an NSC OU tutorial forum :jester:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Really enjoyed it, especially the 'history of the seaside bit'. I wrote the final essay all about growing up in Bognor Regis!!

What you doing this year Stoo? I'm on 'Exploring the English Language', starting in Feb.

make it so Mr Hiney

images

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Are you lot doing these courses part time in your own time or what? I'd really like to do some sort of literature course in my spare time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You had your own pigeons?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you lot doing these courses part time in your own time or what? I'd really like to do some sort of literature course in my spare time.

Yup all in my own time.

Its not cheap...£650

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I met a Northerner once.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Have just finnish A200 Exploring history: medieval to modern 1400-1900 this year. Next Feb I will be studying AA312 Total war and social change: Europe 1914-1955.

Can't bloody wait! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here