Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all Nick Cave fans on NSC

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Firstly the Dig, Lazarus Dig album is out soon. I see at there's one NSCer with the name in their signature. Good man. From what I've read from those that have heard it, it's supposed to be jolly very good. The choon on the website is certainly a corker.
I'm hoping it's a bit like the Abbatoir blues or Grinderman rather than the 2 or 3 introspective albums he was doing before then. I did love the Nocturama/No more shall we part stuff but it was getting a bit TOO Leonard Cohen.

Secondly, the soundtrack to the Jesse James film that he did is a real grower. Very atmospheric. Haven't seen the film yet but I'm guessing similarities with the Proposition - a kind of western realism, claustrophobic music, dark menacing undertones.

Thirdly, there is a production of Kafka's Metamorphosis in London that I read about last night in one of the freebie evening papers. Apparently it features music by Nick Cave. Has anyone seen it? Is it original music or stuff that he's already done before?

Jul 20, 2003
Firstly the Dig, Lazarus Dig album is out soon. I see at there's one NSCer with the name in their signature. Good man. From what I've read from those that have heard it, it's supposed to be jolly very good. The choon on the website is certainly a corker.
I'm hoping it's a bit like the Abbatoir blues or Grinderman rather than the 2 or 3 introspective albums he was doing before then. I did love the Nocturama/No more shall we part stuff but it was getting a bit TOO Leonard Cohen.

Secondly, the soundtrack to the Jesse James film that he did is a real grower. Very atmospheric. Haven't seen the film yet but I'm guessing similarities with the Proposition - a kind of western realism, claustrophobic music, dark menacing undertones.

Thirdly, there is a production of Kafka's Metamorphosis in London that I read about last night in one of the freebie evening papers. Apparently it features music by Nick Cave. Has anyone seen it? Is it original music or stuff that he's already done before?

album title track's on you tube

24,000 views so far

about a dozen are me

GROOVY!

a friend in the industry should be giving me a listen to the album this weekend, nice

Jul 20, 2003

Article in Uncut has Dig... down as a 'Let Love In' style affair

also mentions a screenplay for a film based in Brighton by the great man

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

:thumbsup:

The bits I've heard of it on his website and on youtube seem to imply he's been greatly invigorated by the Grinderman experience.

I for one am much looking forward to it.

The choon on the website is certainly a corker.

Agreed, but ...

Much as I like Abbatoir Blues, Lyre of Orpheus and (especially) Grinderman, I am particularly taken with the ones before them (No More Shall We Part is astonishing, a superb summation of all that has gone before). I do think the loss of Blixa has affected the music. Still, the Grinderman guiter-style might bring back the edge lost when he went.

Fundamentally, of course, there's no such thing as a bad Nick Cave album.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Fundamentally, of course, there's no such thing as a bad Nick Cave album.

[controversial]*cough* Boatman's Call *cough*[/controversial]

I've got 22 Nick Cave albums (The Boys Next Door, The Birthday Party, the Bad Seeds, and Grinderman - and yes I did just count them), and that's the one I never play.

It may be the one most non-Nick Cave fans prefer, but it's just tooo bland for me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really?
I see it as one of his most important albums. It was (I think) the first album he did completely clean of drugs and was the first "quiet" album (my words, my description).

I see it as a really personal album with the Lime Tree Arbour an explanation of where he was at in his then relationship. It also includes Brompton Oratory which is where he really started exploring his religious beliefs (was Into My Arms before or after this album) something that he finally came to terms with and later acknowledged in the "I'm on fire" video when he appeared as himself as a christian apologist. Didn't he also write a preface to a Penguin book on the Apostle of St John (?) or something?

It also has people ain't no good which stands as one of the best anti-ballads along with (to me) Apollo 440's "pain in any language". Certainly as bitter-sweet as anything Paul Heaton could write.
I see the album as a real crossroads in his career after the glorious chaos of stuff like Henry's Dream and Your Funeral..

Fascinating that we can see the same albums in such different ways but that's the beauty of his genius for me. Apparently, he never allows his music to be used for adverts because people write to him and tell him how important the songs are to them for whatever reasons and he feels bound to them that their memories aren't ruined by "their tune" being used to sell loo rolls or razors. Without getting too musey, I really respect him for that.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Really?
I see it as one of his most important albums. It was (I think) the first album he did completely clean of drugs and was the first "quiet" album (my words, my description).

Each to their own, and I realise I'm in a minority on this one.

It was his first clean album (and I think it was also around the time he split with PJ Harvey), but I think that was the problem for me. It has "nice" songs on it, but it sounds to me like a man who had temporarily lost his mojo.

Edit: for the record (no pun intended), I find it hard to look beyond Let Love In as his crowning glory.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It does also help that the Boatman's call has such an iconic album cover too.

Always reminds me of Neil Young's After The Gold Rush album

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Each to their own, and I realise I'm in a minority on this one.

It was his first clean album (and I think it was also around the time he split with PJ Harvey), but I think that was the problem for me. It has "nice" songs on it, but it sounds to me like a man who had temporarily lost his mojo.

I'm not having a go, honest. I'd hate for a thread about such a great man turn into an argument.

It's not my favourite album either. Has to be Murder Ballads or Grinderman for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Murder Ballads, for me.

Westlife also tend to 'murder ballads', but that's in a slightly different context.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
....Blixa Bargeld's HQ is next door but one to my apartment in Berlin.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I love Cave's solo stuff but for me the Birthday Party were tops

"Hands up who wants to die!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here