Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers wearing gloves

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I noticed Mark Viduka was still wearing his woolly gloves last weekend, while playing for Middlesbrough.

It is March, it is pleasantly warm out, and even a couple of weeks ago, was by no stretch of the imagination cold. Viduka has played in Croatia, in Scotland, and has been in the north of England for years, so it's not like he can't be used to the weather by now.

FFS, if any of you guys walked into a pub today wearing gloves, you could, quite rightfully, expect a faceful of abuse, and (possibly justifiably) a slight shoeing for your behaviour.

What is wrong with footballers that makes them need to wear gloves in all weathers? And is the Premiership several degrees colder? Because you don't seem to see many players in League One with their mittens on.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I would have wore gloves in blackpool if i had some, it was fcukin freezin in the stand

but then sunday in sunny brighton, i sat on the beach and it was glorious

footballers wearing gloves looks crap, especially with short sleeved shirts - whats that about ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gloves & short sleeves, that always gets me :lolol:

All this current fashion for skintight muscle compression undershirts as well (costing £40 a pop I notice, hmmm, not a marketing gimmick at all then). How long before that becomes old hat, a la lycra shorts etc?

I just can't understand the players re gloves. Anyone who's ever played- outfield- wearing gloves knows that after a maximum of ten minutes running around, your hands warm up and start sweating profusely.

So either Viduka doesn't do any running, or he's even more of a girls blouse than I first imagined. Especially him, who has more body fat to insulate him than your average player...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
mvww2.jpg

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
I suspect if he could get away with it, Pascal Chimbonda would gladly take to the field in gloves, tights, scarf, woolly jumper, duffle coat and several pairs of trousers.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
SussexSpur said:
I suspect if he could get away with it, Pascal Chimbonda would gladly take to the field in gloves, tights, scarf, woolly jumper, duffle coat and several pairs of trousers.

Well you got the gloves and tights right, and what's that round his ankles?

Is it a pair of legwarmers? ???

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think a rule should be brought in that Keepers only can wear gloves!
If any outfield player does it, they should be chucked in an icy lake to show how cold it can really get!:lolol:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I've never understood players wearing gloves.
Apart from looking well gay, I don't see the point.

You lose most your body heat from your head but they don't wear hats.

Also, unless they're standing around, surely they warm up after a few mins? If they don't, why not put their hands down shorts for a few minutes every so often?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I cant stand anyone wearing gloves when im playing!
If an opponent is wearing them i make a point of kicking him, hard, and calling him a TART within the first 5 mins of the game starting!

And if he's not wearing gloves, i'll do it anyway!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
its because glovers are FLAIR

everyone in our sunday league team is encouraged to wear glvoes every game of the season - especially in the SUMMER months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here