Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football & the Rooney rule.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
For a good example of what you get with positive discrimination and people promoted beyond their capabilities just look at Ali Dizaei Commander of the Met Police.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Can you actually say he has done a great job at Wolves,is he not the No 2 there ? Lots of clubs have what appeared or were good assistants,but being 'The Boss' must carry added problems/role etc ?
Yes...Did'nt Dennis Wise have a good assistant at Leeds....wonder what happened to him?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What no-one seems to have mentioned is that, statistically at least, it has worked quite considerably in American football.

It's that comparison which has started all this, but I see it as a non-starter in the first place.

America has a completely different culture to us with regards to race and the history of racism.
We are now one of the most, if not the most tolerant and mixed societys on the planet, so much so that we feel the need to look into a problem that isn't there. Black managers in the game are evolving at the pace as black players in the game did, only a couple of decades later as you would expect.

It's just a shame and a twist of fate that every black manager so far has been shit, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of their skin - Paul Ince for example is an arrogant twat who can't get on with people.

The reason this debate starts is because of that one obvious difference (skin colour) and we focus on it too much because it's so obvious. You could ask why there are so few English managers in the Premier League compared to other nationalities - especially the Scots. If English people has a different colour skin I've got no doubt that we'd be having that debate.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
This is positive discrimination. Best man/woman for the job, not this.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
What i personally feel needs addressing more is giving ex-players a top level management job with no experience or qualifications. Surely that is discriminationg against better candidates and generally the ex-players are a bit crap at first and get sacked.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The knee-jerk reaction you get from lots of people to any progressive idea would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

The proposal is to ensure that the shortlist for an appointment includes someone non-white. The best candidate then gets the job.

But somehow, people on here are using "the best candidate should get the job" as an argument AGAINST the suggestion. Whereas it's an argument FOR. *sigh*

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's that comparison which has started all this, but I see it as a non-starter in the first place.

America has a completely different culture to us with regards to race and the history of racism.
We are now one of the most, if not the most tolerant and mixed societys on the planet, so much so that we feel the need to look into a problem that isn't there. Black managers in the game are evolving at the pace as black players in the game did, only a couple of decades later as you would expect.

It's just a shame and a twist of fate that every black manager so far has been shit, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of their skin - Paul Ince for example is an arrogant twat who can't get on with people.

The reason this debate starts is because of that one obvious difference (skin colour) and we focus on it too much because it's so obvious. You could ask why there are so few English managers in the Premier League compared to other nationalities - especially the Scots. If English people has a different colour skin I've got no doubt that we'd be having that debate.

I am well aware that it was that that started it (I can read) its just that everyone has talked about how they assume its rubbish, so thought it was worth pointing out that the rooney rule has worked in the NFL.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How many black managers in the UK are there that are not currently employed. Is there that many, or does Paul Ince or Ruel Fox have to be interviewed for every job going

Never mind that pair. Just imagine if Garth Crooks decided to do the management interview rounds! Actually, I sincerely wish I hadn't had that thought... :down:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What no-one seems to have mentioned is that, statistically at least, it has worked quite considerably in American football.

The Rooney Rule is named after the Rooney family, who run the Pittsburgh Steelers and proposed the rule. They actually appointed Mike Tomlin, who would not otherwise have been interviewed, and won a Super Bowl with him as head coach. But as Chris Powell points out in today's Independent, there have been more black coaches over the years in the USA - although not enough have got the very top head coach jobs.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And of course, if a Rooney Rule is proposed for managerial appointments, then what about the FA, the Premier League and the Football League? Not too many Asian, black or mixed race people wearing the blazers ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Managerial failures. There are people that think black men are incapable of managing, due to the apparent failures of the recent crop.

Why was Hughton sacked? A shame he took the B'ham job. On a hiding to nothing there, but I guess it pays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And of course, if a Rooney Rule is proposed for managerial appointments, then what about the FA, the Premier League and the Football League? Not too many Asian, black or mixed race people wearing the blazers ...

This spot on. And nor are there too many black chairmen or board members either.

The fact is that employers tend to employ their own: if a company is run by white ex-public school types they tend to employ white ex-public school types. If a school is run by women, then they tend to employ teachers who are women (which is partly why we have lots of primary schools without a single male teacher). Change probably has to come from the top first: once we start seeing black members of the FA and boardroom, we'll start seeing a few more black managers. The question is: how to achieve that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here