Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football stands?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The terrace at Charlton held something ridiculous like 40,000 I seem to remember. We played them at the Valley one new years day and although it was closed, there were still people on it. Perhaps a 100 scasttered about - it looked awesome and dwarfed the whole of the rest of the ground.

valley1974.jpg

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The terrace at Charlton held something ridiculous like 40,000 I seem to remember. We played them at the Valley one new years day and although it was closed, there were still people on it. Perhaps a 100 scasttered about - it looked awesome and dwarfed the whole of the rest of the ground.

valley1974.jpg

i remember reading it held 45,000 for a game once.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

valley1974.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that, even with their record attendance, they never actually completely filled that terrace. I remember it fondly, having watched Malcolm Poskett's hat-trick from it at what was almost certainly my first away game as a kid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

valley1974.jpg

... and you can still see the top of the terrace behind the stand that is now sitting on it!!

:ohmy:

CharltonAthleticaerial-cb33294a.jpg

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't remember the date of the Albion v Charlton match on New Years Day - prob late 80's - but I remember we filled the stand behind one goal with 4,000 or so and the rest of the ground was empty. I know memory plays tricks on us but I'm sure there were only about 6,000 in the ground. I also recall that we won!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

valley1974.jpg

I remember us playing Charlton in October 1977. Midweek game and we had beaten Sunderland away 2-0 on the previous Saturday to go top of the league. Match at Charlton was 3-4 and we stood on the massive side terrace.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Dortmund Kop end:
dortmund_schalke_2007_01_80.jpg

It's amazing that in Germany the football authorities have worked with the clubs and fans alike managing to come to a safe standing agreement that creates a terrace like THAT, while the TOSSERS who are at the top of the game here couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's amazing that in Germany the football authorities have worked with the clubs and fans alike managing to come to a safe standing agreement that creates a terrace like THAT, while the TOSSERS who are at the top of the game here couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

I agree... although if Liverpool ever get round to it.. the plans for their new kop end look AMAZING... shame it'll be full of scousers though..

new-kop_1421769i.jpg

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

That was my first ever away game...from recollection we won 1-0 in front of an away attendance of no more than a couple of hundred...the ground was indeed very impressive, but completely run-down, hard to imagine what the atmosphere would have been like with that terrace full.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wasn`t the Holt end at Villa pretty big ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don't remember the date of the Albion v Charlton match on New Years Day - prob late 80's - but I remember we filled the stand behind one goal with 4,000 or so and the rest of the ground was empty. I know memory plays tricks on us but I'm sure there were only about 6,000 in the ground. I also recall that we won!

We must have been at different games, the one I went to was in 1985 and there were barely a couple of hundred of us there, but we definitely won.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I remember us playing Charlton in October 1977. Midweek game and we had beaten Sunderland away 2-0 on the previous Saturday to go top of the league. Match at Charlton was 3-4 and we stood on the massive side terrace.

I was at Charlton. That was a game. And we missed a penalty I think. Fred Binney did his two steps back, swivel and knock it into the corner. Although this went into the keepers arms.

Funnily I remember being behind the goal. My memory is rubbish by the way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was at Charlton. That was a game. And we missed a penalty I think. Fred Binney did his two steps back, swivel and knock it into the corner. Although this went into the keepers arms.

Funnily I remember being behind the goal. My memory is rubbish by the way.

Must have been a different game because Binney didn't play in that game, still, you were right about your memory.

(The penalty had to be taken 3 times and we were 2-0 down, got back to winning 3-2 only for Charlton to get another two).

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
That Dortmund stadium looks utterly awesome!

As fo St James' Park, Newcastle....the bigger stands are collossal. They can't develop the other parts to match it due to a set of grand grade ? listed buildings behind that would have to be demolished, but St James' remains one of THE most impressive stadiums (of the 108) I have visited in my time.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

valley1974.jpg

It was spectacular. Even more so when it was derelict in their limbo years. Proper eerie then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here