Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football stands?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
With a capacity of 25,500, the North Stand is the second largest single stand in any club ground in the UK, after the North Stand of Celtic Park. (wikipedia)

So thats number one and two what about the rest? I can't believe there's not a list on the internet somewhere!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Withdean is bigger than orients, northamptons, chesterfields, hartlepools, cheltenham, burton albion, morecambe, macclesfield, torquay, dagenham, barnet, hereford in the football league..

Oct 25, 2003
if you're in the top row of the 'big bit' of st. james' park, you're further from the pitch than at any of sporting venue in the uk

or something

(apparently)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Beat me to it there, SS! :cry:

Man U's North Stand is indeed the biggest single stand, seating 25,686 punters. Here are some of the others that I donned my anorak & looked up for y'all:-

13,500 - West Stand at Stamford Bridge
13,472 - Holte End at Villa Park
12,409 - The Kop at Anfield
11,210 - The Kop at Sheff Wednesday

ps Celtic Park has the biggest stand capacity in the UK, with their North Stand holding a whopping-great 26,970.

And not a lot of people know that (apart from 26,970 Celtic supporters who sit there, obviously).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
With a capacity of 25,500, the North Stand is the second largest single stand in any club ground in the UK, after the North Stand of Celtic Park. (wikipedia)

Celtic Park North Stand - 26,970

Celtic-parkhead-L-01.jpg

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
Quality, how many in the monster one at Leeds then? Do you think they'll mind all this football shit on a cookery messageboard?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Beat me to it there, SS! :cry:

Man U's North Stand is indeed the biggest single stand, seating 25,686 punters. Here are some of the others that I donned my anorak & looked up for y'all:-

13,500 - West Stand at Stamford Bridge
13,472 - Holte End at Villa Park
12,409 - The Kop at Anfield
11,210 - The Kop at Sheff Wednesday

In a year or so you'll be able to add "11,833 - Falmer West Stand" to that list.

:thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In a year or so you'll be able to add "11,833 - Falmer West Stand" to that list.

:thumbsup:

That was the point of the thread. I was in the pub last night talking to a fellow stadiaphile and he asked me the capacity of the main stand at Falmer, when I told him just under 12,000 he reckoned it would be one of the largest in the country (top ten) which sounds like it could be the case.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I think the Holmesdale Road End at Selhurst crammed about 15,000 in during in 1979 Vs Burnley when we had 51,801 inside the ground.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
That was the point of the thread. I was in the pub last night talking to a fellow stadiaphile and he asked me the capacity of the main stand at Falmer, when I told him just under 12,000 he reckoned it would be one of the largest in the country (top ten) which sounds like it could be the case.

I'd realised that it was going to be big when I saw that half the capacity of the stadium was going to be in that one stand, I didn't realise that it would be big enough to be of a similar size to stands at places like Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday though!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
At one time I seem to remember the Holte End at Villa was the biggest single (behind goal?) terrace in the world, I guess though now with all seats and prawn sandwich sections, the capacity is somewhat reduced.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
At one time I seem to remember the Holte End at Villa was the biggest single (behind goal?) terrace in the world, I guess though now with all seats and prawn sandwich sections, the capacity is somewhat reduced.

I think the terrace that ran the length of the pitch at Charltons old Valley was the biggest terrace in the country at the time........could be wrong though.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd realised that it was going to be big when I saw that half the capacity of the stadium was going to be in that one stand, I didn't realise that it would be big enough to be of a similar size to stands at places like Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday though!

It's gonna be impressive as it is but if they ever fill the gaps in it's gonna be VERY impressive!

Here's a little taste of the future......

Attachments

• FALMER FUTURE.JPG
    FALMER FUTURE.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,242

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here