Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Football Manager 2022/2023

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, I've started my career with the Albion.

As has been noted in a previous post, we start with a £70 million transfer budget, which I've used to bring in Enes Unal (£4.5m), Ismaila Sarr (£25m), Toni Lato (£2.3m) and Roberto Gagliardini (£2.8m) with no permanent departures, just loans for fringe/youth players.

Contracts-wise, I've triggered one year extensions for Mac Allister, Trossard, Veltman, Lallana, Khadra, Ferguson, Weir, Leonard and Tolaj, and agreed new deals for Van Hecke, Roberts and Tsoungui.

In terms of tactics, I've gone with my FM traditional 4-2-3-1 gegenpress.

My first choice lineup is: Sanchez, Lamptey, Webster, Dunk (c), Estupinan, Gagliardini, Caicedo, Sarr, Mac Allister, Trossard, Unal

Subs: Steele, Veltman, Colwill, Lato, Gilmour, Sarmiento/March/Mitoma/Enciso (2 from 4), Gross/Lallana, Welbeck

Results so far have been slightly disappointing, but as is the case with RDZ it's not been an easy run of games to start!

- Albion 5-2 Bournemouth (Unal, Estupinan, Trossard, Sarr, Sarmiento)
- Liverpool 3-1 Albion (Welbeck)
- Albion 2-3 Man City (Mac Allister, Unal)
- Newport County 1-3 Albion (Carabao Cup R2) (Veltman, Sarr, Undav)
- Chelsea 2-1 Albion (Mac Allister)

A few notes:

- We're currently sitting 14th in the PL, Palace are 17th on 2 points. Next two league games are Newcastle (H) and West Ham (A) as well as a trip to Morecambe in the Carabao Cup.

- The game starts in June 2022, and on your first day in the job Jakub Moder is said to be 10-11 months away from fitness. Enock Mwepu is, of course, not present in the game.

- After I replaced the virtual RDZ, he pitched up at Villa.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
First year for a while I’m not buying the newest iteration so interesting to see reports here.

I haven’t been back to my Brighton career to see how far I could get in the Champions League but my Hastings side have climbed from 8th tier to mid table Championship and are where I’ve been focusing my FM time.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
So, I've started my career with the Albion.

As has been noted in a previous post, we start with a £70 million transfer budget, which I've used to bring in Enes Unal (£4.5m), Ismaila Sarr (£25m), Toni Lato (£2.3m) and Roberto Gagliardini (£2.8m) with no permanent departures, just loans for fringe/youth players.

Contracts-wise, I've triggered one year extensions for Mac Allister, Trossard, Veltman, Lallana, Khadra, Ferguson, Weir, Leonard and Tolaj, and agreed new deals for Van Hecke, Roberts and Tsoungui.

In terms of tactics, I've gone with my FM traditional 4-2-3-1 gegenpress.

My first choice lineup is: Sanchez, Lamptey, Webster, Dunk (c), Estupinan, Gagliardini, Caicedo, Sarr, Mac Allister, Trossard, Unal

Subs: Steele, Veltman, Colwill, Lato, Gilmour, Sarmiento/March/Mitoma/Enciso (2 from 4), Gross/Lallana, Welbeck

Results so far have been slightly disappointing, but as is the case with RDZ it's not been an easy run of games to start!

- Albion 5-2 Bournemouth (Unal, Estupinan, Trossard, Sarr, Sarmiento)
- Liverpool 3-1 Albion (Welbeck)
- Albion 2-3 Man City (Mac Allister, Unal)
- Newport County 1-3 Albion (Carabao Cup R2) (Veltman, Sarr, Undav)
- Chelsea 2-1 Albion (Mac Allister)

A few notes:

- We're currently sitting 14th in the PL, Palace are 17th on 2 points. Next two league games are Newcastle (H) and West Ham (A) as well as a trip to Morecambe in the Carabao Cup.

- The game starts in June 2022, and on your first day in the job Jakub Moder is said to be 10-11 months away from fitness. Enock Mwepu is, of course, not present in the game.

- After I replaced the virtual RDZ, he pitched up at Villa.
Unal is a good buy, I should've looked at him as I'm, predictably, struggling for goals. Andreas Schjelderup from Nordsjaelland is the best signing I've made so far, an absolute bargain for £6m. Bought him in for the future but he is outperforming Trossard atm.

I was top four until the World Cup break but slipped down to 10th now with eight games left of the season. March put in a transfer request in January because he 'wanted a new challenge', didn't want to sell him but accepted £15m from West Ham when he got pissy. Ruined my 3-2-2-2-1 though so I've now reverted to 4-1-2-2-1. Mac Allister asked to leave when Spurs were sniffing around in January and went off the boil when I told him to do one, he's settled down and signed a new five year deal now though, so all good.

I probs brought in too many players at the beginning in hindsight. A load of quality youth players who have gone out on loan + Pedro Neto (loan w/£24m mandatory fee), Kyogo Furuhashi from Celtic for £14m, Joe Gelhardt from Leeds for £8m and in January I bought in Marcus Pedersen from Feyenoord for £15m to replace March. Problem has been not scoring enough, obviously. Welbeck has done bugger all, Gelhardt not good enough yet, Furuhashi better on the wing and I sold Undav to Norwich in January. Most effective striker has actually been Trossard with 8 league goals. Had a brilliant youth intake though which was a nice bonus.

De Zerbi took over at Villa in December and has turned them right around playing an annoyingly solid defensive game.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
By way of a brief but amusing update, I'm now 11 games in (W5, L6) and am sitting in 11th place.

The amusing part is that 9th placed Chelsea (W5, D2, L4) have just sacked Mr Potter after 11 games in the job. :lolol:

#schadenfreude

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What a signing Unal has been for me! With 6 games to go he's 2nd in the race for the Golden Boot on 20, behind only Haaland on a measly-compared-to-reality 25.

We're currently in 4th and, by comparison to Albion sides of recent years, seem virtually incapable of drawing - our record is P32 W18 D3 L11! We beat Palace 2-0 at Selhurst and thumped them 5-2 at the Amex.

After getting the boot from Stamford Bridge, GP rocked up at Forest in January with them rock bottom, precisely where they still are. Chelsea are in 6th and on the verge of sacking GP's replacement, Zinedine Zidane, while RDZ has Villa in a solid but unspectacular 10th.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Got the 4th place, so CL here we come!

OUT: Gross, Alzate, March, Welbeck, Lallana and Steele have all moved on permanently, Colwill's loan finished and Gilmour, Mitoma and Enciso have gone out on loan for the coming season.

IN: Moder is fit again and Roberts, Khadra, Adingra and Kozlowski are all in the squad after being on loan last season.

In terms of new signings, I've added Marco Carnesecchi (Free), Rico Henry (£7.5m), Dani Ceballos (Free), Ilias Akhomach (£12m) and Liam Delap (£22m) to round things out.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

OUT: Gross, Alzate, March, Welbeck, Lallana and Steele have all moved on permanently, Colwill's loan finished and Gilmour, Mitoma and Enciso have gone out on loan for the coming season.

IN: Moder is fit again and Roberts, Khadra, Adingra and Kozlowski are all in the squad after being on loan last season.

In terms of new signings, I've added Marco Carnesecchi (Free), Rico Henry (£7.5m), Dani Ceballos (Free), Ilias Akhomach (£12m) and Liam Delap (£22m) to round things out.
Keep this coming, love this stuff

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I don't start with Brighton in FM anymore as it's way too easy. The fun of rising up the leagues and turning my once shitty team into European powerhouses is thankfully not that far off of reality now so when I play FM these days I like a different challenge. I start unemployed and with only Sunday League experience and see who will take me. Usually some team in the arse end of the Scandinavian football pyramid. Then I play a mercenary career game and jump to bigger clubs just as soon as the offers come in. THEN if I make it to England with whatever team and the Brighton job comes up I usually apply for it. It used to happen a lot that I'd take over a newly relegated Brighton in the Championship. I'm hoping that this will be the first edition of FM where Brighton aren't guaranteed relegation fodder every season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Nice one! You're definitely doing things more sensibly than I am :lolol: My Albion finished 11th last season, albeit only four points off Europa qualification.

Rico Henry was one of my main targets but he went to Fiorentina for £16m. I've sold Pascal to Dortmund for £10m with a heavy heart and offloaded Adingra, Karbownik, Alzate, Khadra, Zeqiri, Connolly, Sima & Mitoma for around £35m total. This summer I've bought in Vitinha from Benfica (£17m), Ivan Ilic from Lecce (£11m) lliya Zabarni (15.5m) from Dynamo Kyiv, Bosko Sutalo from Dinamo Zagreb (£5.5m), Luca Pellegrini from Juve (£6m) and Alexis Vega from Chivas (£7.25m) Current first choice line up is now along the lines of:

Sanchez

Lamptey
Dunk
Webster
Sutalo
Estupiñan

Caicedo
Moder

Trossard
Vitinha/Furuhashi
Schjelderup/Neto

Back to the tiki-taka 3-2-2-2-1, getting 70% possession most games and not conceding many, but not exactly prolific up top.

I gave Mac Allister a new 5 year deal with an £80m release clause when he stopped stropping last season, then Spurs bid £20m for him again, I rejected it and now he is stropping again... Moder has been partnering Caicedo in the middle whilst Mac is with the reserves and he has been absolutely smashing it so far though, which is bringing me great joy. I'm sure Mac will forget it and come back to the fold soon.

Interesting that Ferguson is already producing for you. He was the league top scorer on loan in the Vanarama with Notts Co last season but I haven't had any good loan offers for him so may keep him with us for this season and see if we can get him some game time. The club terminated our link with USG for some reason, otherwise I'd send him there!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m afraid, boring as this story starts, it doesn’t get any more interesting.

I got 22 (the previous game) for PC, with view of doing the usual non-league, no badges, Sunday league experience to CL winner run. Frankly after half a season I couldn’t be arsed and wasn’t enjoying it any more. I was third in the league, and just wanted to treat to myself.

So I started unemployed with all the badges and experiences and took the Nigeria job. After walking through the World Cup qualifiers, I lost 16-15 to Senagal of the AFCON on penalties.

I decided to move to club football having previously turned down moves from the likes of Millwall (f*** that), I took Eintracht Frankfurt from 18th to 8th in the Bundesliga in 12 games, winning 10.

Now midway through my second season with Frankfurt, 4th in the league, Steven Gerrard is managing the Albion and I am just waiting for the phone call.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Really struggling to resist the temptation of taking FC Vaduz to Champions League / Club World Cup glory. I have looming deadlines, but...

Someone talk some sense into me. Or let me live vicariously through their FM journey!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I downloaded the new Apple Arcade version (previously known as FM Touch i believe). It works well, but the limited player pool isn't great and you can only load 5 leagues.

I've taken Worthing FC from National League South to League 2 in 3 seasons. Just got promoted last night, now need a complete overhaul. 500k to spend, and about 20k on wages. Going to try pick up as many free transfers as possible.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I’m playing on Xbox version - Brighton got relegated in first season (Sanchez stats are really rubbish and value £650k, club bought Southampton young keeper) second season they ran away with Championship - Mac Allister being outstanding. Only just started 3rd season

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
I’m playing on Xbox version - Brighton got relegated in first season (Sanchez stats are really rubbish and value £650k, club bought Southampton young keeper) second season they ran away with Championship - Mac Allister being outstanding. Only just started 3rd season
Brighton get relegated in literally EVERY save i've seen, they were relegated in my Worthing save too.

I have another Brighton save on the go, 4th season in just won the league and came 2nd in UCL final. I agree Sanchez is really poor in game, i got him to agree a back-up contract somewhow, and singed Giorgi Mamardashvili from Valencia. I wanted Banzu off Southampton but they wouldn't sell him to me for a reasonable price. Sanchez just left on a free.

I signed Marcus Thuram and Sarr in my Brighton save, both of which were incredibly hard to move on once I signed better players. I ended up losing like 15m on Sarr.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I have another Brighton save on the go, 4th season in just won the league and came 2nd in UCL final.

What's your secrets? I find the later versions of the game quite tough. I tend to finish higher than what the board expects, but I never actually win anything.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm currently in a save managing FC Andorra - its 2026/27 and we're pushing for the Spanish title.

The reason for the post, though, is to recognise that, if the game is accurate, the Albion have some real gems either at the club or who we've been linked with.

- Jeremy Sarmiento, Jakub Moder and Abdallah Sima, as well as our former linkee Datro Fofana, are all in my squad and doing very well near the top of the Spanish game and in the Europa League.

Van Hecke, Gyokeres (both Atletico Madrid), Estupinan (Barca), Mac Allister (Chelsea), Caicedo (Arsenal) and Lamptey (Newcastle) have all moved on to bigger things in this universe, and all are doing well.

Enciso, Buonanotte and Ferguson are ticking along nicely for that incarnation of the virtual Albion in mid-table of the Prem.

All in all, I think our scouts seem to be doing pretty well if this is any indication - mind you, in this game Mitoma's career never really got going and he's currently at mid-table Championship Middlesbrough, so who knows!

Last edited:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Winter update officially came out yesterday and Brighton got some huge upgrades.

Ferguson, Caicedo and Colwill given HUGE upgrades to both starting ability, and potential.

Going to start a new Brighton save this weekend, hoping Mitoma got an upgrade because he was pretty poor in game to start.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Winter update officially came out yesterday and Brighton got some huge upgrades.

Ferguson, Caicedo and Colwill given HUGE upgrades to both starting ability, and potential.

Going to start a new Brighton save this weekend, hoping Mitoma got an upgrade because he was pretty poor in game to start.

Mitoma got a very big upgrade too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here