Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Football Manager 2022/2023

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If anyone is buying it this year, we start with the 2nd highest transfer budget after Man City. TB has been very generous and given you a £70m starting budget.

Higher than Real Madrid and PSG. :oops:
Not buying it this year - once every 3 or 4 years is enough. Not enough changes to buy it more often than that.

But that sort of highlights my main annoyance with FM - the economy. It is completely unreal. Way, way, way too easy to make money, close to impossible not to be very profitable... especially in the PL, which makes the league unplayable because there's no real challenge (if you don't invent them yourselves, which I tend to do; max 1 signing per season etc.)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The bloke who invented FM was on a podcast with a dullard just over a week ago. They take the economic elements very seriously but at same time want the game to be aspirational enough to take a club from L2 to the PL

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This is probably teaching most people to suck eggs but if you are into games and don't mind not owning them (Steam/Epic you only own them for as long as they decide anyway) Then XBox game pass is £7.99 a month and just £1 for the first month and will have FM23 on release day. Not much use if you want to just play this and this alone for months but if you just want a month's blast then you can do so for £1. And you get all the other games as well. I'm not into the shooting games so large numbers aren't much use to me but there are still enough games for me to justify the £7.99 for now.

Netflix for PC Games if you will. And if you have an XBox as well, you can pay more and get the same deal for console games as well as PC games. As I say, most gamers will know about this but there might be someone who can get use of the £1 deal.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Played a few hours of the beta now doing my traditional Albion starter save. Gameplay is good, if not a lot different- only odd thing I've noticed is lots of goals happening within seconds of each other... Not sure if it's a bug or just an odd occurrence. Starting with a 70m budget makes it a bit too easy being Albion I think and some of the transfers I've done seem massively unrealistic. Will be getting down to the Vanarama for a proper challenge when the full version is out.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The bloke who invented FM was on a podcast with a dullard just over a week ago. They take the economic elements very seriously but at same time want the game to be aspirational enough to take a club from L2 to the PL
Miles Jacobson?

He didn't invent it. Two brothers did back when it was Championship Manager. Miles got on board and has been managing director for decades but it wasn't his baby originally.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Miles Jacobson?

He didn't invent it. Two brothers did back when it was Championship Manager. Miles got on board and has been managing director for decades but it wasn't his baby originally.
And some of us remember playing the original by Kevin Toms!

kevin toms.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It makes sense but in that case maybe they should have two difficulty settings. Personally find it dull to take one or two chill years on the transfer market and then suddenly there's £300m in the bank account and £150m to spend on players. Makes it very dull to manage in the big leagues.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
In a parallel universe, Potter was sacked last week following a 3-0 thumping at West Ham, leaving Chelsea in 17th place after 11 league games in charge.

Bet you can't guess who one of his two league wins as manager was against :moo:

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 02.29.29.png

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
FM23 is actually released on PS5 this year for a change, looking forward to giving it a bash.
Last management game I played was LMA manager on the PSone I think!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Delighted that FM is making a return to the iPad this year via Apple Games. Last year's was the first version I'd not played since the very start of the CM/FM franchise.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
FM23 is actually released on PS5 this year for a change, looking forward to giving it a bash.
Last management game I played was LMA manager on the PSone I think!
Its released on Xbox as well, but I've heard some really bad things about FM22 being really buggy and not being patched at all.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It won't be buggy on PlayStation or Xbox.
Well that's what I meant, the xbox version of FM22 was supposed to be very buggy, and they didn't release a patch for it. I was initially very tempted to get it, but was put off after hearing that. Sometimes developers can be really lazy with console versions of things in terms of releasing patches. I thought I might wait and give it a couple of months with FM23 to see what people are saying.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I didn't buy last year's, but FM23 is downloading as we speak - there goes my weekend, I suspect!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I didn't buy last year's, but FM23 is downloading as we speak - there goes my weekend, I suspect!
Brighton-save first? PL is a pretty dull start though. In the last FM I bought, 2021, I had a one-buy-per-season policy when playing with Brighton. Eventually ended up buying just two players over the entire 10 year save. Kept the majority of the starting squad, never won the PL but frequently ended up top 4 and won all of the continental competitions. Too easy though annoyed me that Maupay & co werent consistent enough to win the damn league.

Wonder how many % are going with a Wrexham save this year.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Brighton-save first? PL is a pretty dull start though. In the last FM I bought, 2021, I had a one-buy-per-season policy when playing with Brighton. Eventually ended up buying just two players over the entire 10 year save. Kept the majority of the starting squad, never won the PL but frequently ended up top 4 and won all of the continental competitions. Too easy though annoyed me that Maupay & co werent consistent enough to win the damn league.

Wonder how many % are going with a Wrexham save this year.
Yep, I'll start with the Albion as always.

I'll probably have a Valencia save going before long too, as I have done for years. FC Andorra could be an interesting one too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yep, I'll start with the Albion as always.

I'll probably have a Valencia save going before long too, as I have done for years. FC Andorra could be an interesting one too.
FC Andorra is indeed a team I've thought of.

I always have a FC Vaduz/Liechtenstein national team save. Winning the Champions League with Vaduz is the toughest challenge there is because they can't qualifiy through the league - have to win the Europa League to qualify.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Added editor files to this and took Guernsey all the way to the PL before then starting the same journey with Jersey Bulls. Gave up through boredom with them somewhere in midtable in League One.

FC Andorra and Vaduz sound like fun challenges!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here