Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Manager 2014

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm torn. I really didn't enjoy FM13 because it was just too difficult. It seems like they sacrificed fun for realism so I went back to my long-term Albion save on FM12. I'm waiting to see what the bods over at fm-base have to say about FM14 before thinking about parting with any money.

I didn't find FM13 very difficult at all, the problem is building up a decent team once you have done that your rolling. The AI is very bad at building squads, some you can take over and find they have about 30 mediocre players and stacks in the bank.

The best formation in the last two versions has been

GK
LB CB CB RB
CDM DLP
AML AMC AMR
ST

For me, at least that's the one I've had most success with, and a bit of tweeking of the sliders to encourage passing and fast tempo high pressing.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Season One: Promoted from Liga Adelante as Champions, winning the league by 21 points.
Season Two: 3rd in La Liga
Season Three: 3rd in La Liga, Champions League Quarter-Finals
Season Four: 5th in La Liga, Champions League Last 16
Season Five (up to February so far): 2nd in La Liga with only one defeat so far, Europa League Last 32 First Leg against Braga up next.

Squad has been entirely overhauled over the period, with emphasis on young Spanish talent and quick, attacking football.

Beyond the Spanish 'core', which includes the likes of Dani Carvajal, Joel Robles, Inigo Martinez, Ander Herrera, Jonas Ramalho, Isco, Rodrigo and Cristian Tello, I've been able to grab the likes of Christian Atsu, Jetro Willems, Matej Vydra, Denys Garmash, Will Hughes, Alen Halilovic and, somehow, stretching every penny of Champions League money to its absolute limit and somewhat unrealistically fighting off Man U in the process, Mesut Ozil.

Average age of the squad this season is 24, so they're really starting to build towards what should be their primes. This season is a bit make-or-break as my contract is up in the Summer, so fingers crossed.

Very good indeed. While I admit I never got them promoted I started with West Brom in 2011 when they were predicted to be relegated.

Season 1: Finished the season in 8th. Signed the 39 year old Rivaldo for 60k or so who proved to be the driving force behind the team that year, 13 goals and 15 assists. Danny Welbeck on loan was my top league scorer with 14 and Yaya Sanogo for 3.4 million got 15 overall.
Season 2: Despite finishing 9th I got more points, more wins and less losses so progress was made.
Season 3: Finished Third and won the league cup, Robert Aqcuafresca scoring in the very last minute of extra time to see off Spurs (who are incredible on this game) 3-2
Season 4: The team were sensational, won the League cup, FA cup and the Premier League
Season 5: Feat repeated
Season 6: And again
Season 7: Got beaten on penalties by the scum in the FA Cup final but win the LC and League once again before winning the Champions League final 2-0 against Olympic Lyon with my 35 year old Captain Jonas Olsson getting the man of the match

In terms of signings I've focused primarily on developing younger players with Tiago Ilori, Yaya Sanogo, George Thorne, Jonjo Shelvey and Jake Forster-Caskey all remaining from the first season. I've blended this with experience from older players such as Jonas Olsson (my captain from the start and the only remaining player, along with Thorne, from the original team) John Arne Riise, Jose Bosingwa, Michael Ballack, Rafael, Inigo Calderon, Dirk Kuyt etc. All these men have now joined my coaching staff along with Jamie Carragher, Raul, Wayne Bridge, Edgar Davids, Ronaldinho, Kevin McKenna and numerous others.

During this time I was also appointed England manager getting knocked out 2-1 in the semi finals of both Euro 2016 and WC 2018. In the latter I was beaten by Ivory Coast who went on to win the final thanks to a goal by a certain Wilfried Zaha who I had spent the last four years deliberately ignoring despite good form etc I am confident for the upcoming Euros and World Cup, I really feel this side (many approaching their prime) can finally bring it home for England.

In short I need to get a life.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I didn't find FM13 very difficult at all, the problem is building up a decent team once you have done that your rolling. The AI is very bad at building squads, some you can take over and find they have about 30 mediocre players and stacks in the bank.

The best formation in the last two versions has been

GK
LB CB CB RB
CDM DLP
AML AMC AMR
ST

For me, at least that's the one I've had most success with, and a bit of tweeking of the sliders to encourage passing and fast tempo high pressing.

I had a pretty good season with this formation:

GK
LB CB CB RB
CDM CM DLP
AML AMR
ST

Sometimes dropping the CM back to DM if the opponent was a bit tougher. For some reason though after that season, having changed only three players it suddenly became impossible to grab a win. No idea why. I got hacked off with losing week in, week out so went back to my nice, safe FM12 uber squad.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I got FM2013 but found I simply didn't have the time to devote to it. Might get the 2014 demo when it comes out just to have a look though :wink:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I had a pretty good season with this formation:

GK
LB CB CB RB
CDM CM DLP
AML AMR
ST

Sometimes dropping the CM back to DM if the opponent was a bit tougher. For some reason though after that season, having changed only three players it suddenly became impossible to grab a win. No idea why. I got hacked off with losing week in, week out so went back to my nice, safe FM12 uber squad.

i spent most of fm13 messing around with the 3-5-2 with moderate success (the match engine goes FUBAR with 3 at the back) but with brighton so far keeping to a 4-5-1 - will try out 3-5-2 again though for sure

worth mentioning the tactics are SO different - if you thought 13 was hard, this is a whole diff ball park - tons has been removed, focusing on player roles and shouts, so it looks a lot more basic, but its more realistic and takes time to get to grips with (i havent fully yet)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very good indeed. While I admit I never got them promoted I started with West Brom in 2011 when they were predicted to be relegated.

Season 1: Finished the season in 8th. Signed the 39 year old Rivaldo for 60k or so who proved to be the driving force behind the team that year, 13 goals and 15 assists. Danny Welbeck on loan was my top league scorer with 14 and Yaya Sanogo for 3.4 million got 15 overall.
Season 2: Despite finishing 9th I got more points, more wins and less losses so progress was made.
Season 3: Finished Third and won the league cup, Robert Aqcuafresca scoring in the very last minute of extra time to see off Spurs (who are incredible on this game) 3-2
Season 4: The team were sensational, won the League cup, FA cup and the Premier League
Season 5: Feat repeated
Season 6: And again
Season 7: Got beaten on penalties by the scum in the FA Cup final but win the LC and League once again before winning the Champions League final 2-0 against Olympic Lyon with my 35 year old Captain Jonas Olsson getting the man of the match

In terms of signings I've focused primarily on developing younger players with Tiago Ilori, Yaya Sanogo, George Thorne, Jonjo Shelvey and Jake Forster-Caskey all remaining from the first season. I've blended this with experience from older players such as Jonas Olsson (my captain from the start and the only remaining player, along with Thorne, from the original team) John Arne Riise, Jose Bosingwa, Michael Ballack, Rafael, Inigo Calderon, Dirk Kuyt etc. All these men have now joined my coaching staff along with Jamie Carragher, Raul, Wayne Bridge, Edgar Davids, Ronaldinho, Kevin McKenna and numerous others.

During this time I was also appointed England manager getting knocked out 2-1 in the semi finals of both Euro 2016 and WC 2018. In the latter I was beaten by Ivory Coast who went on to win the final thanks to a goal by a certain Wilfried Zaha who I had spent the last four years deliberately ignoring despite good form etc I am confident for the upcoming Euros and World Cup, I really feel this side (many approaching their prime) can finally bring it home for England.

In short I need to get a life.

Not a bad career at all there. :thumbsup:

I finished my 5th season with Villarreal in 3rd place in La Liga (so qualifying for the Champions League next season) and a trophy at last in the form of the Europa League, by virtue of an incredible 5-2 win over Hamburg in the Final.

As a result of all that, I've been given a new 4-year contract. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
My game crashed without me saving after playing a handful of games :facepalm: so I started again ended up selling Bridders to Wigan for 6.25 MIL right away and got in Charlton Cole in on a free and Vessoli (something like that) in on loan from Everton as we only have Ulloa and Barnes fit as forwards, Man united are currently interested in Casper so that'll be interesting if they make an offer :facepalm:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I've got to the playoff final in first season v Reading but Kuszczak has bloody been called up for International duty, Ankergren is injured and Brez is on loan! Meaning I'm having too use Walton in goal....looks like it will be another season in the Championship for me.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've got to the playoff final in first season v Reading but Kuszczak has bloody been called up for International duty, Ankergren is injured and Brez is on loan! Meaning I'm having too use Walton in goal....looks like it will be another season in the Championship for me.

Can you not withdraw him (Kuszczak) from the international squad?

I'm sure that has been an available option in the past?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I justify excessive FMing by telling myself I do catch up with a lot of 'must watch' series and films in the process, still not a good excuse but anyway.

Funnily enough that is EXACTLY what I've been doing! First FM then I continue my recent obsession with Kubrick films

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Jan window has just closed and I'm doing pretty well so far 1st in the league and 9 points clear, biggest win 5 - 1 Barnsley & Wednesday, biggest defeat 3-0 Yeovil, top goalscorer Lualua 16 goals playing as AML (Ulloa 13 goals)

Players in
Summer window
Carlton Cole - Free
Vellios - Everton - Loan
Noblejas - Madrid - 22k
Pantsil - Free
Jan window
Maier - St Pauli - Loan
Dardar - Inter - Loan
Murray - Palace - Loan :facepalm:
Boateng - Man City - Loan

Players out