Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football club names you like ?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Some of the old works teams are the most interesting.

Billingham Synthonia, which sounds rather poetic, but unfortunately is simply an amalgamation of synthetic ammonia, something to do with the ICI plant I think.

Swindon Supermarine, which I assume is also some kind of works team, as there would appear to be a distinct lack of either (a) super things or (b) marines in Swindon.

Also

Shepshed Dynamo, a pub team name if ever I heard one (they're actually in the Unibond League

and

Quorn, who are presumably not named after the vegetarian product.

Quorndon to give it's full name is a place near Loughborough, which gave its name to the vegetarian stuff.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
African team names are great, the following are all top flight clubs in their respective countries:

King Feisal Babes (Ghana)
Botswana Meat Commission FC
Maseru Naughty Boys FC (Lesotho)
World Hope FC (Kenya)
Wongosport FC (Gabon)
Inter Bom-Bom (Sao Tome & Principe)
Eleven Men in Flight (Swaziland)
Curepipe Starlight (Mauritius)
Club 57 (Congo)
Green Buffalos FC (Zambia)
Big Bullets (Malawi) - when sponsored by the oil giant they were known as Total Big Bullets
Invincible Eleven (Liberia)
Racing Club de Bobo (Burkina Faso)

Ghanaian lower league also has some excellent names:
Mysterious Dwarfs, Venomous Vipers, Windy Professionals, Techiman Roving Rovers, Soccer Learners, Elmina Coconut Sharks, Great Astronomers, and er St Mirren.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Inter Bom-Bom (Sao Tome & Principe)
Mysterious Dwarfs
Windy Professionals
Elmina Coconut Sharks

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Superb, better than anything in our local five-a-side leagues.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Some of the old works teams are the most interesting.

Billingham Synthonia, which sounds rather poetic, but unfortunately is simply an amalgamation of synthetic ammonia, something to do with the ICI plant I think.

Swindon Supermarine, which I assume is also some kind of works team, as there would appear to be a distinct lack of either (a) super things or (b) marines in Swindon.

Also

Shepshed Dynamo, a pub team name if ever I heard one (they're actually in the Unibond League

and

Quorn, who are presumably not named after the vegetarian product.

Reminded me about my long since departed dad, who I,m sure used to go and watch a team called Loughborough Brush

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Three of Bolivia's finest:

CD Blooming
Club Destroyers
Club The Strongest

Must be fun in Paraguay, when Club 12th October play Club 2nd May or Club 3rd February.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The league that Billingham Synners play in has some proper Northern names, I tell you.

Dunston Federation, Tow Law Town, Sunderland Nissan, Bedlington Terriers, Jarrow Roofing, and best of all, West Allotment Celtic.

I can't help wondering why the last one had to be so specific about their location within the allotments. Surely there isn't a rival club from the East side?

These are the best team names in football. "West Allotment" is, believe it or not, a tiny hamlet on the northern outskirts of Newcastle. There's not an East Allotment to my knowledge.

The best ever book on north-east footer is The Far Corner by Harry Pearson. Edna sounds like she's read it; everyone else would do well to do so.

Indeed they do play in our league,and the famous BURGESS HILL did the double over them.

Not to mention our 5-0 TROUNCING of Molesey,in which the striker we've sold to you scored a hat trick!

Ah Shadough........Like we agreed on bebo he is lazy....but saturday he was.........AWFUL.....dont think he'll score for a while.

As for Saturday, we were screwed out of win by a greek referee twat by the name of Hatzidakis, with a grudge because we asked not to be reffed by him again this season. Gave a free kick for "un-gentlemenly coduct"

Would give you a card for coughing on another player

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
total network soltuions
airbus uk
portland timbers
montreal impact
wisla krakow

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Newly elected to the lowest league here, "Sporting Fingal".

Fingal is a made up county thats only existed since 1995, they're apparently taking Sporting Lisbon's colours too; which would help ingratiate themselves with the local Celtic-"supporting" and easily confused populace I guess...

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Love them or hate them at least Tottenham's founders showed some creativity with their team name.

More recently the MLS side from Houston were originally called Houston 1836. Also the year that the city Houston was founded, this somehow offended the large Mexican population in the city (who probably constitute the majority of the team's support) so it was changed to Houston Dynamo, which is utterly gay.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I rather like the football club name which was once called Central Uruguayan Railway Cricket Club, until they changed their name in about 1911... to Penarol. Also, the temporary name SS Ambrosiana was rather pleasant, until you find out the political connotations of the fact it was a name-change enforced by Benito Mussolini onto Internazionale.

A picture of the dugouts at Swindon Supermarine FC can be found in a book currently on sale at Sporting Colours called 'Dugouts' - price £7.99.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
i quite like
Billericay
Keizer chiefs
Orlando pirates

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Queen of the South ıs the Scottish team I support.

Currently playing football manager with Glossop North End (anyone know what the famous general knowledge question about them is?) and we're in Conference North and have just beaten...... FARSLEY CELTIC!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here