Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football club names you like ?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
'Brighton Hove Albion' is the beginning of a line of dacytlic hexameter verse, and therefore appropriate for the beginning of, say, a Greek epic.

Brighton Hove Albion, Mousa, polutropon....

You don't get cooler than that.

'Real Salt Lake' is as silly as, say, "Inter Swindon", or "PSV Stockport"

I do like Racing Santander....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some of the old works teams are the most interesting.

Billingham Synthonia, which sounds rather poetic, but unfortunately is simply an amalgamation of synthetic ammonia, something to do with the ICI plant I think.

Swindon Supermarine, which I assume is also some kind of works team, as there would appear to be a distinct lack of either (a) super things or (b) marines in Swindon.

Also

Shepshed Dynamo, a pub team name if ever I heard one (they're actually in the Unibond League

and

Quorn, who are presumably not named after the vegetarian product.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
As a boy I used to love the BBC World Service reading all the scores of a Saturday evening... better than poetry. Didn't know it was done primarily for the punters checking their pools tickets, which takes all the romance out of it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Swindon Supermarine, it transpires, were formed from the merger of Swindon Athletic and Supermarine FC.

Fact of the day: the Supermarine Aircraft Company were apparently the people that designed the Spitfire.

I feel like John Motson.

Currently 11th in Serie A ...

Genoa Cricket and Football Club

7.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Swindon Supermarine, it transpires, were formed from the merger of Swindon Athletic and Supermarine FC.

Fact of the day: the Supermarine Aircraft Company were apparently the people that designed the Spitfire.

I feel like John Motson.

Except NOW you have to add an extruciating pun followed by a trademark 'Motty chortle' that makes your co-commentator wince and wish they had turned down the gig.

ie - "Err, The Supermarine Aircraft Company were apparently the people that designed the Spitfire, Mark - and their plucky fans at the Portaloo End will be hoping its not bandits at 5 o'clock come the final whistle, eh!"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Except NOW you have to add an extruciating pun followed by a trademark 'Motty chortle' that makes your co-commentator wince and wish they had turned down the gig.

ie - "Err, The Supermarine Aircraft Company were apparently the people that designed the Spitfire, Mark - and their plucky fans at the Portaloo End will be hoping its not bandits at 5 o'clock come the final whistle, eh!"

"Billingham Synthonia are the only club in England to be named after an agricultural fertiliser, Lawro, and [chortle] their fans in the ICI Toxic Wastedump Family Stand will certainly be hoping they don't play like a steaming pile of pigshit this afternoon!"

"Genoa are the only cricket club playing top-flight football anywhere in the world, Lawro. They were founded by English cricketers, so [chortle] their fans will be expecting them to play like a steaming pile of pigshit this afternoon!"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The league that Billingham Synners play in has some proper Northern names, I tell you.

Dunston Federation, Tow Law Town, Sunderland Nissan, Bedlington Terriers, Jarrow Roofing, and best of all, West Allotment Celtic.

I can't help wondering why the last one had to be so specific about their location within the allotments. Surely there isn't a rival club from the East side?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"The average age of the Spitfire pilot in WWII was 21, Mark, which co-incidentally is the same average age of the Supermarine side this afternoon. Although I fancy none of them were postmen, like today's number 3 - Lance Ladycroft.[chortle]. Anyway, as we get underway, lets hope 'the few' don't crash and burn and end up with body parts scattered far and wide! What?"

Their Wikipedia entry starts with a sentence that simply confirms that the good citizens of North Tyneside are completely shite at naming places:-

"West Allotment Celtic F.C. is a football club based at Blue Flames, Longbenton, England, which is near Four Lane Ends Metro Station".

The league that Billingham Synners play in has some proper Northern names, I tell you.

... Jarrow Roofing ...
You barely do them justice. The full name of the club is Jarrow Roofing Boldon Community Association F.C.

They come from Boldon Colliery, not Jarrow.

And Boldon Colliery is a village, not a colliery, by the way - another place with an exciting Wikipedia entry:-

"Boldon Colliery used to be a mining village. The mine shut down in 1983, but more jobs became available when an ASDA opened in 1986, and recently through the development of Boldon Business Park. Boldon Colliery also has its own multi-screen cinema (currently operated by Cineworld), a McDonald's and a Frankie & Benny's restaurant. A Pizza Hut restaurant is now open next to the Cineworld Cinema. The main school in the area is Boldon School (formerly Boldon Comprehensive School)".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Their Wikipedia entry starts with a sentence that simply confirms that the good citizens of North Tyneside are completely shite at naming places:-

"West Allotment Celtic F.C. is a football club based at Blue Flames, Longbenton, England, which is near Four Lane Ends Metro Station".

...which explains everything, doesn't it :lolol:

The Bedlington Terriers, of course, are named after, er, a dog. A very ugly breed of dog it seems, somewhat poodle-esque in its grooming.

Ter.Bedlington.jpg

According to the experts at the Kennel Club:

Few breeds can be quite so distinctive as the Bedlington Terrier; correctly trimmed his head resembles a lamb with a fringe of silky hair on the tips of the ears. With his curious soft, linty coat, the arch over the loin and a distinctive mincing springy movement he doesn't look like a working man's terrier, but he is every inch a sporting dog.

Mincing??

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It could have been mentioned already,but I'm too idle to look.

Third Lanark.

Perhaps somebody could explain the name.Obviously Lanark is geographical,but is the Third a regimental connection,or a reference to the division they were in,or was it pronounced in the Irish way?

And has the name been preserved in an existing club.

Or does nobody care?

Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here