Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football club names that for no other reason than you just like them.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
oh, and Airbus UK. It conjures up images of trolley dollies playing footy....... :moo:

Yes, yes it does! :lolol:

ps I've always warmed to the mighty ABERBARGOED BUDS meself &, of course, the stupendous ELEMENTS CEFN DRUIDS from fortress Plaskynaston Lane. :)

Sambuca.

A small village in Tuscany. I saw them play, once.

"You're just a village in Tuscany, village in Tuscany!"

The Scottish non-Leaguers are the best: Hawick Royal Albert (pronounced Hoick BTW), Inverurie Locomotive Works, Gala Fairydean, Burntisland Shipyard.

ps I've always warmed to the mighty ABERBARGOED BUDS meself &, of course, the stupendous ELEMENTS CEFN DRUIDS from fortress Plaskynaston Lane. :)
Doubtless their rivals refer to their ground as "Nastyplastic Lane"!
I'm quite partial to Connahs Quay Nomads myself.

Last edited:

... &, of course, the stupendous ELEMENTS CEFN DRUIDS from fortress Plaskynaston Lane. :)
If we are going to include stadium names, I'm going for Spytty Park. And County's mascot ... Spytty The Dog.

220px-Spytty_the_Dog.JPG

Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute F.C. (Leigh RMI) I like. They are are now Leigh Genesis althought this has not started a trend for Clubs with '70's prog. rock bands as part of their name.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Albion Rovers. I even went to see them play once but it was frozen off so I went to Motherwell instead!

I saw them play there in about 1992, with a crowd of 250, which was typical.

A largish bowl, surrounded by council flats and houses, in Coatbridge.

Terrible crowds with most round there supporting Rangers or Celtic.

Fuuny enough, I liked Airdrionians, as a name. There rivals in the adjoined town.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Forest Green.

Not as rural as their name suggests but play on a massive hill in the village of Nailsworth. Try walking up that steep climb after eight pints of fine Gloucestershire ales! I nearly puked up at the top.

Fantastic and stunningly beautiful place when Barnet used to play them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Inverness Caledonian Thistle. No further reason needed.

And Chievo Verona, good name, great historical rivalry nickname of 'Mussi Volanti' or 'Flying Donkeys' (I have such a soft-toy beast in the house). Supported by a Bentegodi derby experience I'll never forget several years ago.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
When I was about 10 years old I wrote a stupid kids letter to Stenhousemuir saying how I liked them and the manager wrote back to me with thanks, a scarf and about half a dozen programmes. Always followed then since then

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Forest Green.
Ah, Forest Green - the best village football team in Britain!

Names I liked? Wolves (for all those reasons like floodlights and Europe too) and Manchester United - just liked the sound when I was seven or eight, subsequently re-inforced by Munich.

And I thought the original gaff was, "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" - not TNS

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Billingham Synthonia - the only team in the country named after an agricultural fertiliser
DFDS Blossom Way FC
Another of my favourites was Castleton Gabriels FC but they have recently changed their name to Rochdale Town FC (boring !)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The early rounds of the Scottish Cup always throw up some great names - Gala Fairydean, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy etc.

But I also like Real Sociedad, partly because of the notion of a team called "Royal Society" and partly because of the idiot commentators who think it refers to a place, as in "Barcelona will find it hard to get a result in Sociedad" - maybe more logical than the bloke who once talked about "the Borussia derby" between Moenchengladbach and Dortmund.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
When I was about 10 years old I wrote a stupid kids letter to Stenhousemuir saying how I liked them and the manager wrote back to me with thanks, a scarf and about half a dozen programmes. Always followed then since then

And that is it how it should be.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And I thought the original gaff was, "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" - not TNS

The TNS one wasn't a gaffe - it was one of Jeff Stelling's finest moments on Soccer Saturday. I think he said in his book he'd been lining it up for weeks.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Inverness Caledonian Thistle & Crewe Alexandra

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here