Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food you love that most people would turn their noses up at nowadays?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The corned beef references have reminded me of two similar sliced meat products you used to see but don’t any more.

Haslet. Tongue.

(This thread is final confirmation that NSCers have all turned into our grandparents. God I feel old.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Liver,
Kidneys,
Heart,
Tongue,
Fag***s,
Haggis,
Black Pudding,
Brawn,
Sweetbreads,
Cockles,
Winkles,
Whelks,
Jellied eels,
Kippers,
Gherkins,
Olives,
Capers,
Mushy Peas,
Pease pudding,
Sauerkraut

I could go on ???

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm particularly partial to all manner of offal- heart, gizzards, liver, tripe, you name it. Pig's trotters too. For Chinese New Year I made a banging chicken feet soup that I imagine some would've been squeamish about. The leftover feed were deepfried the next day, making a delicious beer snack.

Same here. Although I did feel a bit queasy in Barca recently when I went to that offal cafe I recommended to you. I took a few recommendations from the waitress and one was lamb cheeks. Never had these before but they were on the (jaw) bones, jaw bones which were very visibly and which still had teeth in. The plate looked rather demonic as it stared up at me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lamb brains are probably the most extreme food I like which others find a bit repulsive. I have eaten fried insects, which are probably more extreme, but I wasn’t too enamored with these. Bone marrow on sour dough toast is probably my favorite.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had haggis yesterday, with smoked bacon in a sarnie (thick white bloomer). Fantastic :D
Love sweetbreads but not had them for years, going to have to go and get some now :lolol:
Spam fritters (thin coat of beer batter)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Same here. Although I did feel a bit queasy in Barca recently when I went to that offal cafe I recommended to you. I took a few recommendations from the waitress and one was lamb cheeks. Never had these before but they were on the (jaw) bones, jaw bones which were very visibly and which still had teeth in. The plate looked rather demonic as it stared up at me.

I had exactly the same in a little tapas restaurant once - though it was actually an adult lamb and you could get twice the amount.
Yep, it was sheep at half the price.

For me it’s corned beef, cheddar and pickle, in a sandwich!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I haven’t seen tripe at any butchers for years now, I think I’d have to order it specially, and no one else I know would eat it.

My dog eats raw meat - and will only eat a brand if it uses tripe. The smell :sick:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
As Lawro said “ Funnily enough, Chicken used to be quite expensive when I was a child,and very much a treat.“

That is true , and as for salmon? That was food for the upper classes only ! ( unless maybe the tinned Canadian stuff, that doesn’t count.
Has anyone mentioned baked beans? Never seen on a smart restaurant menu but absolutely my favourite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Takes me back. My favourite was roast chicken flavour crisps between 2 slices of white bread.

What does it say about me that I had home made soda bread with my tea this evening and not had white bread for at least 15 years. (apart from the fact that I've hardly had any bread for 7-8 years) :ohmy:

*cough* upward mobility *cough*

Every evening after school, my 'tea' was six slices of Sunblest white bread, butter, and crisps, in three sandwiches. From around 1967 to around 1976. For the last few years of this gastronomic phantasmagoria, these sandwiches would be supplemented with a thin layer of Shippam's fish paste ??? :rolleyes::lolol:

:thumbsup:

shippam.JPG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
*cough* upward mobility *cough*

Every evening after school, my 'tea' was six slices of Sunblest white bread, butter, and crisps, in three sandwiches. From around 1967 to around 1976. For the last few years of this gastronomic phantasmagoria, these sandwiches would be supplemented with a thin layer of Shippam's fish paste ??? :rolleyes::lolol:

:thumbsup:

View attachment 145120

Ah yes, we used to have Shippams for "tea" on a fairly regular basis. I was reminded of it again in my late 20s when I moved in with Mrs GB and her cat. One of the foods she gave it seemed identical.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
All sandwich fillings (but not together!): a slice of tongue, a slice of haslet or sandwich spread. Reckon all of those are very out of fashion.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As Lawro said “ Funnily enough, Chicken used to be quite expensive when I was a child,and very much a treat.“

That is true , and as for salmon? That was food for the upper classes only ! ( unless maybe the tinned Canadian stuff, that doesn’t count.
Has anyone mentioned baked beans? Never seen on a smart restaurant menu but absolutely my favourite.

In the 19th century, oysters were a working mans food, on the coast. Only seafood I can’t stand.

I remember going winkling on Newhaven beach when I was a youngster with my Grandad and going back to his house to cook them and having them for tea on a Saturday night.

Isn’t there a secret Winklers club , or some such.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sauté kidneys on fried bread, known throughout Her Britannic Majesty’s Royal Navy as shit on a raft.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Liver,
Kidneys,
Heart,
Tongue,
Fag***s,
Haggis,
Black Pudding,
Brawn,
Sweetbreads,
Cockles,
Winkles,
Whelks,
Jellied eels,
Kippers,
Gherkins,
Olives,
Capers,
Mushy Peas,
Pease pudding,
Sauerkraut

I could go on ???

Would happily eat all of that with the exception of Kidneys & Kippers.

Can I just add that a Spam and Pickled Onion sandwich on White Bloomer bread isn't to be sneezed at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here