Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food you love that most people would turn their noses up at nowadays?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All sandwich fillings (but not together!): a slice of tongue, a slice of haslet or sandwich spread. Reckon all of those are very out of fashion.

Ohhh haslet, yes indeedy :drool:

My nan lived in Lincolnshire when I was little where it was huge. She used to get it from a butcher's van that came to the village twice a week. Incredible stuff.

Was less enamoured of sandwich spread after chucking a load up when being travel sick. Pretty much the same coming back up as going down :sick: :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
i love corned beef hash but not sure anyone really turns their nose up at this sort of stuff.
Most food writers for example are thrilled to bits at the idea of reclaiming the odd or retro food loves mentioned on here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In America you'd pay $25 for a Corned Beef Hash breakfast with Poached Egg on top in some hipster brunch spot

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Ohhh haslet, yes indeedy :drool:

My nan lived in Lincolnshire when I was little where it was huge. She used to get it from a butcher's van that came to the village twice a week. Incredible stuff.

My Nan too, from Lincolnshire, used to give it to us when we went.
My other Nan, from London used to cook tripe and onions and made her own pressed tongue. I didn’t like the tripe but tongue and haslet, very tasty.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
In the 19th century, oysters were a working mans food, on the coast. Only seafood I can’t stand.

I remember going winkling on Newhaven beach when I was a youngster with my Grandad and going back to his house to cook them and having them for tea on a Saturday night.

Isn’t there a secret Winklers club , or some such.

Oooh Oysters, I love them - one of my best jobs of the Year is a Site in Whitstable and picking them up fresh from the Boats.

Sadly they don't seem to work as well these days...:lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Pretty much the same coming back up as going down :sick: :lolol:

Was my advice when I first worked an FPSO on the North Sea for the initial Crew Room Brief for those who were non-sailors e.g. Me...

Oh by the way you should eat Oranges, they'll taste the same going down and coming back up :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
In the 19th century, oysters were a working mans food, on the coast. Only seafood I can’t stand.

There's a great book by the food historian Mark Kurlansky called The Big Oyster all about how in late 1800s oysters were the food of the poorest people in New York. If you couldn't afford anything else to eat you'd get a few oysters to see you through.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Funnily enough, Chicken used to be quite expensive when I was a child,and very much a treat.

Weirdly, in France chicken is really expensive - 17 euros for a very small bird last I was there - yet you'd think with all that land they could produce loads of chickens.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The corned beef references have reminded me of two similar sliced meat products you used to see but don’t any more.

Haslet. Tongue.

(This thread is final confirmation that NSCers have all turned into our grandparents. God I feel old.)

Both readily available in supermarkets but hiding embarrassed alongside Turkey Roll.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My sister was visiting with her two children, and we had fish finger sandwiches, and bangers and mash.

She said 'you didn't need to get special food in for the kids'. I replied that we loved it, and had it ourselves regardless of any youth being around.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I always, always buy some laver bread when I'm in Cardiff market. Pulped seaweed.

Most people I know can't bear to be in the same room when I'm eating it. It does smell, but bloody
lovely with bacon and bread and butter.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Re Chicken Feet - the restaurant Interlude serves them deep fried ( without the bones - no idea how ) and they are delicious.

Nice. I've not done it myself but deboning them is apparently quite straightforward. Just boil them, cool them down and make incisions, pull the bones out.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Nice. I've not done it myself but deboning them is apparently quite straightforward. Just boil them, cool them down and make incisions, pull the bones out.

Reminds me of the fusion operation I had on the joint of my left foot 10 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here