Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food you love that most people would turn their noses up at nowadays?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Fried Bread/Slice.

A cooked breakfast is utterly lost without it, and for all the negativity about it being unhealthy, you should be far more concerned about the frequency of having cooked breakfasts than whether or not you add a fried slice to it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Lincolnshire is definitely the place to find Haslet.
Also worth picking up some stuffed chine if you're in the vicinity as that's even rarer outside the county.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I haven't but I know exactly the place you're talking about and believe the marrow comes with a parsley salad. How was the rest of the meal?

:facepalm:

I like the place.....over you you, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] :lolol:

[MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION], HT really likes the place. I'm, errr, a little less enamored.

Here's a copy and paste of my April 2019 review...

"St John, EC1 - 1 star.

Oh how I wanted to enjoy this place - dining at the home of nose-to-tail eating appealed; not to mention the fear of having to write a dissenting opinion to that espoused by the doyen of NSC’s burger reviewers, a man I’ve only met once - at the last home game - and whom I’m going to meet again at tonight’s game (and again later, in Fourth & Church).

“Be brave”, says the good lady Doctor her indoors, lying next to me in bed, “tell the truth”. “But it’s all a matter of opinions”, say I. She sighs expansively, “Then tell your truth”, and rolls over to go back to sleep.

Gulp. I really, really didn’t like it.

I feel like I owe a fairly extensive explanation, so here goes.

I’m unused to having to push through a crowded outside area and then crowded courtyard full of drunk 20 somethings to get to the dining room. The presence of a bouncer (a first for me at a 1 star establishment) didn’t help. I was bemused at finding a paper tablecloth (of the type seen at cheap Chinatown restaurants) on the table, and also at the presence of 50p round wine glasses of the type your Nan has, providing she hasn’t loaned them to the local Harvester.

Never mind - all this is fine, providing the food is exceptional, I think. I’d eat off the floor if the food is brilliant.

The menu reads well, and the specials - read to us by a bored-looking woman in badly stained kitchen whites - were a pleasant addition. We ordered the crispy duck salad, the bone marrow (gotta be done, right?), the fag*ots and mash, the sweetbreads, and a side of “greens”. We also ordered a very nice bottle of grand cru Alsatian riesling (followed later by a second). They took our cheap wine glasses away on hearing our order. “Proper wine, proper glasses” - I whisper to my partner. They bring back the thickest rimmed ISO tasting glasses I’ve ever seen. Tasting glass bowls are far too small for an expressive riesling, and for God’s sake don’t buy them in Lakeland.

Stay calm. It’ll be fine. The food is going to blow you away.

Dear reader, it didn’t.

The crispy duck (which turned out to be gizzards) was burnt and crunchy and over salted, the bone marrow was fine, but nothing more - if you’ve ever sucked on the cut end of a roast leg of lamb bone you’ve had this before, the sweetbreads were, err, tasteless, one of the fag*ots had something chewy enough inside it that I had to spit that piece out, the mash was watery and lumpy, and the bowl of greens (perfectly cooked hispi cabbage) had 3/4 inch of cooking water in the bottom.

“There’s just no love for this food in the kitchen”, say I.

“Do you want a pudding?” says the GLDHI. I exhale deeply. “I’d only be disappointed”.

The bill arrives. £13 for crunchy duck gizzards? £13 for something that the duck farmer would pay you to dispose for him? £23 for 2 fag*ots? £5.50 for a small bowl of cabbage? Paper tablecloths? The cheapest wine glasses money can buy? It all clicks into place. Fergus used to be a man who was at the cutting edge of cooking - he’s now interested solely in making money.

We push dejectedly back through the slightly smaller but drunker crowd of 20 somethings, back past the bouncer (who I’m prepared to swear gave me a pitying smile).

We go round the corner for a single malt and for me to start thinking about just how honest I was going to be.

Sorry, [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]. I really am."

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Piccalilli...no wait that's rank always has been. Chunks of raw cauliflower? not for me

Pan Yan Pickle on the other hand...like crack cocaine on your cheese sarnie

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
When living at home (some 40 plus years ago now) I used to enjoy a brown sugar sandwich and also a salted winkle sandwich.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont mind a decent pizza. Nowadays in our neo-hitlerjugend culture of gym going mindfulofthemselvesness self-absorbed self-starving Adonis-wannabes, pizza is seen as too fat and unhealthy. They can eat carrots for 70 years and I'll eat pizza for 50. Priorities.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
When living at home (some 40 plus years ago now) I used to enjoy a brown sugar sandwich and also a salted winkle sandwich.

finbarr_saunders_viz_400x400.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lentil soup -- that and its close cousin dal are two of the greatest dishes in the world, certainly the best value
Mushroom soup -- hmmm
Frangipane -- I wish I could have that every day
Smoked mackerel -- yum
Sardines on toast -- yum
Kippers -- yum

To drink:
Peppermint tea -- I have about 8 of these a day
Grapefruit juice -- also love this, but rarely drink it (see above)

Admire your taste, but not sure many noses will be turned up by these (either that, or I'm way out of kilter with popular tastes)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Big fan of tinned soup, for a cheap and quick lunch..

Seems to be slowly dying out in the supermarkets,
Being replaced with cartons at 5 times the price.
As a kid, there was no better lunch, than cream of tomato soup, with a crusty roll and butter.
More of a fan of mulligatawny or scotch broth these days.

Cream of tomato soup with cubes of extra mature/vintage/strong cheddar put in 20 seconds before serving :thumbsup:

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Oh my….

I love corned beef hash.

My mum used to make a fabulous bacon and onion rolly polly. Best when fried the next day.

And for lunch a nice door step corned beef and pickle sandwich.

I went veggie last year alas. Although this thread is testing my resolve.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I seem to recall that Vienetta being scoffed at,by right-minded people.
I used to love it, haven't seen one for about 20 years though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Admire your taste, but not sure many noses will be turned up by these (either that, or I'm way out of kilter with popular tastes)

The Frangipane was a sly curve ball. You're the only one who spotted it. Cold or hot with cream ...... stunning. Anything made with almonds :love:.

The others are all "Urrrrhhhh, how can you eat that?" by my family.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
My Mum used to make shepherds pie with corned beef instead of mince, it was very tasty. Usually followed by instant whip or Angel delight! They used to make loads of different flavours. My favourites were mint chocolate and butterscotch.

Whatever is stuffed chine? Jackanada.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Fish & Chips. My wife thinks this is why I'm a few pounds over, due to my love of a Friday night chippy meal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sprouts

Could easily eat a bucket of them. Love them. And just plain boiled to boot, none of this “fried in butter and bacon” nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here