Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food poisoning

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Nuke the curry, dump the rice. I couldn't agree more with all that's been said about reheated rice.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Stick it all in a pan; add a bit of water; heat it up to a boil & let it boil for a minute or so to kill any harmful bacteria; enjoy. :thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
No, it won't - once the rice bacteria is there, no amount of cooking will kill it.

Bugger. That's my re-heated curry plan totally screwed then.

Mind you, there's always the Naan option innit... :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Rice is the biggest casue of food poisoning in the world - but then it isthe staple for about 70% of the world too.

and many of those that eat it do so with their hands with scant regard hygiene (probably little or no running water). im not entirely sure i'd blame the rice.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
and many of those that eat it do so with their hands with scant regard hygiene (probably little or no running water). im not entirely sure i'd blame the rice.

Every study tells you that rice is the biggest cause of food poisoning worldwide, doesn't mater where you live.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Every study tells you that rice is the biggest cause of food poisoning worldwide, doesn't mater where you live.

there are parts of the world that don't eat any rice, so cant be completly correct. what studies, as ive not heard rice is a big risk before, usually its all about chicken and eggs, with unwashed, dirty veg the recent high profile problem?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
there are parts of the world that don't eat any rice, so cant be completly correct. what studies, as ive not heard rice is a big risk before, usually its all about chicken and eggs, with unwashed, dirty veg the recent high profile problem?

Clearly if you don't eat rice, it's not goig to be a problem. I'll see if I can find some stuff when I have a sec.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's not reheating rice that causes it to be poisonous, it's cooling it too slowly in the first place... and if it is piping hot it should kill these bacteria, but probably still isn't worth the risk.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The fact of the matter is, curry only improves the more times you heat it, cool it, refrigerate it, freeze it and leave it lying around. Its a dish that just keeps on giving.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If your not supposed to re heat rice then please tell me how to cook fried rice properly?

I am led to believe that to make fried rice, you have to boil it first, let it cool before placing it in the fridge and then stir fry it the next day! Is this wrong coz I've done it for years without a problem?

And yes I would deffo have eaten the left overs as long as it's thoroughly Cooked through.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Interesting, my leftover curry/chinese rice will be going straight in the fridge from now on. I still can't think it's that bad for you as long as you're healthy in the first place though. Like I said, I've been leaving rice to cool at room temperature and reheating it for 15 years, and never even had the shits.

Interesting, pretty much what I was saying and backs up my line on ...

"These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause food poisoning. Reheating will not get rid of these"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'd check for mouse droppings, but if none found, then yes, probably.

How do you check if it is mouse droppings or the inside of a cardomon pod?

Lots of cold curries for breakfast. Sometimes, they taste better than the hot ones.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
A family friend didn't get food poisoning but there is a chemical in some Chinese food and she lost her memory for a while

seagulls

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Jimmy's Food Factory did a really good piece on this. For those who have never seen this programme the guy tries to build industrial food processes in his own back yard. Microwave rice is specially treated to prevent bacterial infection. Specifically the bacteria only like cooked rice, which has cooled and only becomes poisonous when the rice is heated. This explains why egg fried rice is fine, as long as you don't cool the rice between boiling and frying. So yes definitely chuck the rice, as for the curry trust your nose and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
If your not supposed to re heat rice then please tell me how to cook fried rice properly?

I am led to believe that to make fried rice, you have to boil it first, let it cool before placing it in the fridge and then stir fry it the next day! Is this wrong coz I've done it for years without a problem?

And yes I would deffo have eaten the left overs as long as it's thoroughly Cooked through.

I was gonna ask the same thing. I regularly make risotto. Let it cool then stuff balls of it with cheese and fry. Never done me any harm. Is there something about how you re-heat it? i.e adding water and techically re-boiling is bad but not frying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here