Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food poisoning

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
On another note I got a curry the other day from a mate who had frozen it. I defrosted it and ate it yesterday and I've been shitting through the eye of a needle ever since. It was hotter than the sun as well and it f*cking smarts

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was gonna ask the same thing. I regularly make risotto. Let it cool then stuff balls of it with cheese and fry. Never done me any harm. Is there something about how you re-heat it? i.e adding water and techically re-boiling is bad but not frying.

If you read the link Notters posted earlier it is about how it is cooled down, not reheated. Again, once the toxins are in it, no amount of reheating will get rid.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Advice from Tilda:

http://www.tildafoodservice.com/downloads/tilda_guide_rice_heath_hygiene.pdf

The 10 Commandments of Safe Rice Handling
1. Always keep dry rice in cool, dry conditions off the floor.
2. Do not expose dry rice to moisture as this can encourage mould growth.
3. Never leave cooked rice to cool on its own. Always chill it quickly either under running cold water or spread thinly on trays in a blast chiller.
4. If cooked rice is to be kept hot e.g. on a serving counter, ensure it is always above 63°C.
5. Avoid keeping rice hot for more than 2 hours and throw away any leftovers.
6. If cooked rice had been chilled or frozen ensure that it is thoroughly reheated and is piping hot throughout.
7. Cold rice salads should be kept chilled. If part of a buffet, they should not be kept at room temperature for longer than 1 hour.
8. Never re-chill once it has been kept at room temperature – throw it away.
9. Never keep rice chilled for longer than 3 days or frozen for longer than 1 month.
10. Once cooked rice has been re-heated, throw away any leftovers. Never re-heat rice more than once.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Very interesting. Did not know that about rice. How long should one leave food out for before putting it the fridge?

As far as I'm aware, cool the rice enough so that it will not raise the temp in the fridge.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As posted above, run cooked rice under cold water, place on a tray and cover with a tea towel or similar to absorb moisture.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting, my leftover curry/chinese rice will be going straight in the fridge from now on. I still can't think it's that bad for you as long as you're healthy in the first place though. Like I said, I've been leaving rice to cool at room temperature and reheating it for 15 years, and never even had the shits.

Nonono, you need to be careful with that! It must have pretty-much cooled down or it will warm your fridge up and make everything else dangerous too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here